5.0 out of 5 stars Derwent Inktense Blocks
Well packaged in a beautiful tin which would have been even better if it had been hinged. The lack of a hinge means that I have to use an elastic band while carrying them. In a studio, the tin is fine.

Published on 12 Sept. 2012 by Mr. M. Nethercoat

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor instructions.
I expected stronger colours on using etc.. A proper instruction leaflet in the box would have been a great advantage, with tips
Published on 11 Mar. 2013 by anne holland anne holland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Derwent Inktense Blocks, 12 Sept. 2012
Mr. M. Nethercoat "swerv" (Beverley England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derwent Inktense Blocks Watercolour Paints Tin (Set of 24) (Office Product)

Inside the blocks are secure in firm foam but this can lead to problems removing them. Not all the blocks have of the same degree of firmness and the white one crumbled as I tried to remove it. Because they are firmly held in the recesses, I had to squash the foam to try and get beneath the blocks to prevent the ends from crumbling under my finger nails. The cross section is rectangular and I have replaced them narrow side on.

All that said, however, I loved using them! Although better used for impressionistic work rather than for fine detail, unless using large "canvasses", the edges are firm enough for fine lines while the ends can be used for filling in and the full lengths can be used for quickly covering larger areas. Having drawn boats and views of Flamborough, I then used a Pentel brush (with water reservoir in the handle) to give a more conventional water colour appearance but this, too, can be used to give a variety of effects.

I'm looking forward to using the blocks on my next image.

5.0 out of 5 stars Derwent Inktense Block 24 tin, 2 Jun. 2014
M. Leitch "Mo" (Lincs) - See all my reviews
I purchased these Inktense blocks having seen a friend use them. I can now buy plain fabric and dye it as I wish. I've seen how the blocks can be used more effectively than, say, liquid or powder dyes and I also bought the grater, the spritzer and the grippers in order to make the dyeing process easier and mor efficient for me. The block dye is permanent once it dries but, until it dries, it can be washed out or diluted so it seems they are an excellent starting point for hand dyeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile, 1 Jun. 2013
I love these, and have had a lot of fun experimenting with them in various ways. It's worth having a look at the Derwent website for inspiration!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inktense for slightly larger areas, 5 April 2013
I was disappointed they were so thin and therefore break very easily. However, having watched various utubes about them have learnt how versatile they can be - e.g. One can load ink direct from them with a wet brush or shave some into a small pot of water to create ink. After the wet ink, they can be dried quickly with a hair drier and they will be come permanent, washable and can be worked over again without running. Or on the other hand they can be used wet in wet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful product, i decided to go with the blocks ..., 27 Oct. 2014
A beautiful product, i decided to go with the blocks rather than the pencils for their versatility and tactile feel. I bought them a year ago for experimental work, and although not often used, I am always happy with the results. When used dry on paper the texture is close to a creamy chalk pastel, they are quite brittle and they have broken with fairly light pressure, its not really a big deal unless you're very protective of your materials as i can sometimes be.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to use, 25 April 2014
Have a look on you tube for all the clever uses. Ideal for backgrounds for mixed media etc. Just draw on, add water and colours all smooth together. Great buy, wish I had bought the bigger box!

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong colours and versatile, 29 Jun. 2013
Doc Barbara (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
These sticks are an alternative to watercolour pencils or paints and provide brighter, stronger colours than I have found in the mid-priced versions of those items. You can draw with them and then spread water over, or apply a wet brush to them I am told you can scrape shavings off and mix them with water. I like the fact that the tints are not "pretty" in the same way as my Winsor and Newton box and I can use them for more forceful effects, even leaving some lines showing through. however I have found I cannot do thin lines without sharpening them. Plenty to experiment with! Four stars because I am not sure about how the effects compare with actual watercolours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Blessings in Colour, 15 Nov. 2014
Very pleased with these. Good strong colour and soft. However, the blocks are very fragile and four were broken
when they arrived. More were broken trying to fit them into the Block Grippers which are useless. So I wrap them in
paper tissues. Most Derwent produces are very good and I will go on buying them.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 28 Mar. 2014
Ms. S. Bagenal (uk) - See all my reviews
These are very useful. The can be used in so many ways. I like the way they blend and wash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tried the inktense pencils----did'nt like, 18 Feb. 2014
The Inktense blocks are so much more creative and can come to life when added to watercolours or acrylic or simply on their own

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›