Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

Candace Robb has read and researched medieval history for many years, having studied for a Ph.D. in Medieval and Anglo-Saxon Literature. She divides her time between Seattle and the UK, frequently spending time in Scotland and York to research her books.

York is very close to my own home and many of the places mentioned in the Owen Archer books are still there to be seen and of course Archbishop John Thorseby is mentioned in the records of York Minster. All this adds spice for me and helps me to picture the time and events that took place. This is the fourth novel in what is proving to be a captivating series.

Owen Archer, the one-eyed former captain of a company of Welsh archers finds himself working on behalf of the king, to promote Wykeham as the new Bishop of Winchester. Owen places his old comrade Ned in charge of a company travelling to Rievaulx Abbey, north of the city of York. By doing this he hopes to dispel the rumours of Ned's involvement in a mysterious death. But is his plan about to back fire on him as days later, the murders and intrigue begin . . .
on 21 February 2013
I have read several of this series and have enjoyed all of them. However I almost gave up reading this before a quarter through because I considered the quality very poor. I persevered and behold! there was a remarkable improvement. With this qualification I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys good quality historical fiction.
on 15 July 2009
Owen Archer ranks right up there with Cadfael as one of my all time favourite sleuths. The atmospheric detail surrounding the plot provides us with a sometimes all too realistic medieval experience, you can almost smell it! A book to immerse yourself in for a pleasurable while. I can't wait to move on to the next one.
on 6 December 2013
this is number 4 and now on number 5 - and bought the whole series because the characters grow and develop well. never found a series that did not bore me by the 3rd if not the 2nd one. so its been nice
on 4 June 2015
Candace Robb thorough research shows in this really gripping tale. I think Owen Archer is the best thing since sliced bread. Gorgeous !!!
on 22 April 2013
Well written, easy to read and a plot which twists and turns. Interesting historical information makes this book even more entertaining.
on 30 December 2012
Owen Archer is a superb series. Having read the first six I have just purchased the next four.Plus Candace Robbs A Trust Betrayed.
on 21 February 2016
I am slowly working my way through this series and found this very enjoyable.
on 17 September 2014
I love all these books, it is a pity that there is not any more to come
on 21 October 2014