4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing
Published on 6 July 2011 by Avid reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Doubt That It Measures up to SARAH'S KEY
"A Secret Kept," is the next novel by Tatiana De Rosnay, the New York Times best selling author, following on her Sarah's Key. The novel at hand is more or less a three-generational family history. Like her previous work, it is set in Paris, and greater France, and has a current-day plot as well as flashing back to a plot set in an earlier time, meant to embody the...
Published on 9 Sep 2010 by Stephanie De Pue

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 6 July 2011
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Paperback)
I had read Sarah's Key and absolutely loved it, so I looked forward to this novel by the same author. It was a facinating story, with an small twist to it's story. I enjoyed the book and found the characters interesting and believable, however when an author has written such a brilliant book as Sarah's Key, I guess it's a hard act to follow, and truthfully this one isn't, in my opinion, so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Francophile, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book and becoming immersed in the very French atmosphere; the decriptions of Noirmoutier Island made me want to go there and Paris through an architect's eyes was utterly beguiling. I've passed my copy straight to a friend who was equally charmed. I really invested in the character of Antoine as he came to terms with all his problems and the mystery at the heart of the story kept me reading until the denouement. A great read for holidays or a wet weekend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Family secrets uncovered, 15 Aug 2011
Denise4891 (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Paperback)
I'd read a few less than positive reviews of this book so my hopes weren't high, however I have to say I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a slow burner and certainly a very different sort of novel to the one for which Tatiana de Rosnay is perhaps best known (Sarah's Key), so if you've read SK it's probably best to try to put all thoughts of it out of your head before you attempt this one.

Antoine Rey narrates most of the book (apart from the flashbacks to his childhood summers of the early 1970s which are delivered in the third person). I found him a very likeable and sympathetic character, which is just as well as he's going through a bit of a mid-life crisis (his wife has left him, his kids are indifferent to him, his father is cold and unloving etc) and he does indulge in a fair bit of navel-gazing and philosophising (well, he is French).

On the way back from a trip to the site of a childhood holiday, his sister is about to reveal something to him when she suddenly loses control of the car. When she eventually regains her memory and tells him what she saw, Antoine embarks on a journey of self-discovery through his family's recent history. Specifically he wants to know more about his mother's death and why senior family members closed ranks after she died and refused to talk about what really happened.

A Secret Kept is quite a sedate, thoughtful read but I did become very involved and engaged in Antoine's quest. It's also very French - lots of smoking, b*nking and beautiful apartments with concierges - and as I read it I found myself visualising it as a stylish French film with subtitles. I'm very glad I ignored the negative reviews and took a chance on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written, 28 Feb 2014
Expressive writting, story line evolves gently but keeping up suspense. Emotional tension is releivieved by interesting twists in the story'sdevelopment. A rich and pleasurable rad.

4.0 out of 5 stars a gold book, 25 May 2013
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Bello) (Kindle Edition)
Not as good as Sarah's key and got much better towards the second half. I look forward to the house I loved and any others to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Secret Kept, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Bello) (Kindle Edition)
This book held your interest from the very beginning.
Felt very sympathetic towards the teller of the story and wanted things to end well for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cliffhanger!!!!!, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed "Sarah's Key", but Miss Rosnay seems to lose "puff" in the last quarter of the book. "A Secret Kept" maintains the pace from beginning to end. It's by no means difficult from a literary viewpoint, but it's well written. I can highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving look at Family Secrets, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Bello) (Kindle Edition)
Not my usual type of book, but I read it as a change from my usual crime thrillers. I really enjoyed this look at family secrets hidden away over the decades. An stiff upper lipped, uper class French family have to deal with past mistakes and problems whilst also coping with their present day problems and difficulties. I won't give away the ending but it is very realistic and true to life.
The upper middle class French setting is well realised with believable and interesting characters.
A book mostly written for women, I suppose, but this bloke liked it, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric and beguiling all the way through, 13 Nov 2011
Plumtree29 (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Paperback)
I picked up this book cold after reading the back and am so glad I gave it a go. From the opening pages I found it atmospheric and beguiling. The book contains a twist, but what is nice is that you don't have to wait until the end for it to reveal itself. This enables the twist to be explored. The author is also great at setting the scene, and the reader is kept on their toes as the scene flips between time and narrator.

A great read and I will definitely be searching out Sarah's Key now !

4.0 out of 5 stars What our reading group thought ..., 28 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Secret Kept (Paperback)
Our group read and reviewed this book recently. The majority of us liked the book though found some of the characters contrived especially Angele who appears as a male fantasy figure with her biker leathers and liberal attitude to men and sex (is it a coincidence that she is named Angele?). The book explores relationships within families and the effect that long hidden secrets can have on families years later. There is also a 'death' theme throughout - not sure why the animal carcass scene was included though. Sometimes you just wanted to give Antoine a slap and tell him he is a now grown man not a repressed child. It got us thinking though - would we side with Antoine or Melanie at the end of the book?

A Secret Kept (Bello)