5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and up-to-date usage guide, 29 Nov 2004
Miss C. Kendrick "CK" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This wonderful Bloomsbury A-Z style guide is now in a totally updated fifth edition and takes account of the newer words which have entered our language due to the influence of the media and IT. It takes pride of place on my desktop at work and is now well-thumbed. The guide will solve all your spelling, usage and punctuation difficulties, as well as covering all the latest buzzwords and jargon. There are plenty of sensible examples for each entry, plus useful lists of collective nouns, foreign words and phrases, and non-sexist alternatives. Perfect for anybody who cares about the language they use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Very Good Word Guide, 29 Mar 2009
For me, this book could have been called the `very' Good Word Guide as it is indeed a gem of a guide. This updated edition takes into account the speed at which the English language is changing, and also offers guidance on spelling, pronunciation and grammar; there are also tables on Americanisms, foreign words and phrases, misspellings, verbs (irregular verbs), writing tips and much, much more.

I found this word guide essential when looking for synonyms when trying to understand the nuances when using different words, for example, could I use `flaunt' instead of repeating the word 'flout'? Could `salaries' be substituted for `wages' (incidentally, would you substitute something for or substitute something with?)? Do I use the spelling `rateable' or `ratable' - does it matter? Can I use `raise' and `rise' in the same context - can both verbs be used intransitively? The answer to these questions are so easily accessible in this guide, so you can imagine how well thumbed my copy is.

As well as a formidable, instructive and informative guide, this book is also very entertaining; you can open the book at any page and be entertained, after taking the packaging off the book I opened it at `g...', started reading the entries for `gobbledygook' and `gobsmacked' and found myself reading on for a further 45mins. When encountering a problem with words or wording, the Good Word Guide is one of the first sources I turn to, as I said earlier, it should really be called the `very good word guide.

For anyone interested in words, studying, writing (anything), it's always good to have the right tools; a good dictionary, thesaurus and I would add to this the Good Word Guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any writer, 27 Oct 2010
This is a very useful and interesting reference book. Better than that, it's one of those reference books which I find myself reading through like a novel. It's just the job for if you are wondering whether to write 'lay' or 'lie'. This work explains the difference in a readable way and gives examples with interesting asides where appropriate. A must have book for any writer or lover of English.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever book that resolves many issues, 17 Feb 2014
Very helpful; it plugs gaps in my knowledge and helps me to advise students accurately as a teacher of English as a Foreign Language.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Useful, 20 Jan 2013
I have found this book useful ever since I came across a copy in a charity shop. I bought my kids an updated version each, but alas, they know it all, so I grabbed one copy back. It sits on my desk within easy reach. I find it very useful when I need to check something because it's easy to understand. It has saved me a red face on more than one occasion.

I think everyone should have a copy. It is the best book on word usage that I have ever looked at.