Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£19.47

on 18 July 2014
As an English Language graduate who hasn't read much linguistics stuff since graduating last year this was a gentle reintroduction to 'internet linguistics' (as Crystal calls it). This was an easy read and a lot lighter than a lot of linguistics books.

It was a very good general overview of internet linguistics, although I'd perhaps suggest not specific enough for undergraduate level beyond an overview. This book reawakened my interest in some areas of linguistics and I particularly thought that the chapter focusing on Twitter was interesting and well written.

I found myself telling people about some interesting fact I'd just read in the book, which shows how engaging and interesting I found the book. Most people use the internet so much that this is a topic a lot of people can find interest in and relate it to their own experiences.

If you want an unchallenging yet engaging introduction (or reminder) to internet linguistics, I'd recommend this book. Easy to read, interesting and a good overview.
on 4 March 2013
A very good book aimed at e-communication linguistics, it focuses more on pragmatics and graphology within linguistics in an online environment but adds very interesting perspectives. This book is another great by David Crystal.
on 4 February 2014
What's to say - David Crystal is a genius and always brings things for students to use. Perfect for my English degree
on 11 March 2015
As always David Crystal puts academic and technical things into a user-friendly format.
on 27 February 2011
Another gem from David Crystal. In this book David clarifies what is new and what is not so new about internet linguistics. Recommended reading.
on 24 May 2012
Internet Linguistics contains many thought provoking ideas on the study of the use of language on the Internet. It includes discussions on many different media (which Crystal calls 'outputs') such as Twitter and e-mail. This is a great idea for a book for discussion in the public.

Where it falls down is in its writing style. According to the back page, it is "engaging". It isn't. This is a textbook packaged as a book for the general public. You should be aware of this before considering purchasing it. I'm sure it works well for degree level English language students (to be fair, it is subtitled "A [Student's] Guide"), but not for most other people. That's a pity. There is a gap in the market which I hope will be filled soon.