Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 May 2011
I've been listening to NWOBHM now for a good few years; I'd like to think myself as somewhat well-knowledged on the genre of music (even if it was 15 years before my time). I've always liked HELL since listening to their `Save Us from those Who will Save Us single', and listening to crackly 8th-generation demo tapes that never showed their true potential, I always believed they were well ahead of their time. Now if you're reading this you probably already know the story of this album so I won't go into that, all I have to say is that potential has undoubtedly been released, and then some.

What we have here is a total labour of love; every riff, lyric, sound effect and solo has been crafted with utmost dedication, you just don't get albums like this, it's a fitting tribute to Dave Halliday. From the `Deathsquad' intro to my personal favourite `Devil's Deadly Weapon' we have a demonic slice of metal that encompasses pretty much every sub-genre this side of black metal (and even then, HELL are credited as a driving force of the devil-bothering genre), from the power metal of `The Quest' to the Doom-laden `No Martyrs Cage' they really do have a wide range to fit all metal fans' tastes, coupled with the legendary Andy Sneap's flawless production you get a modern, yet familiar record.

Purists may scoff at such a slick record but with this pack you get a bonus cd of the original demos and recording from back in the 80's and I have to say I'm glad I ordered this particular version of the album because those 8th-generation tapes that everyone and their dad has on MP3 are NOTHING compared to their master-taped glory here! If anything, if this album was released back in the 80s with these recordings I still think it would've been a good album, I really really hope HELL release all their demos in this quality in the future.

All in all, this has got to be one of the best metal albums of the year and I am looking forward to the bright future HELL has in store for them, may their long-awaited reign continue!
on 26 May 2014
This album (and indeed the band) has a history worthy of a norse saga. Almost 30 years in the making, Human Remains stands as a fitting testmanent to the awesome creative talent and musical ability of the band members. Though most of the tracks on this album were written years ago they stand today sounding as fresh and innovative as anything written today. Fans of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate and Dio will surely love what's on offer here.

Indeed one of the greatest achievements of this album is that there really is something for everyone here: fans of NWOBHM will love most of the tracks. The album also touches on symphonic metal and there are even a couple of tracks that touch on early-mid 80s thrash.

As for the band themselves, well what we have here is a collection of reall talented musicians. Too much of modern metal seems to be constructed on computer rathern that showcasing the skill of the musicians, however Hell are obviously incredibly talented. From David Bower's amazing vocal performance, equal to such legendary singers as Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford and the legendary Ronnie James Dio, to the impressive guitar work by Sneap & co, listening to this album is a real treat for fans of real metal.

One final thought - this album is yet another illustration of Andy Sneaps incredible talent as a producer as well as a musician. The recording is absolutely perfect, the level of quality being that which one only usually sees with bands such as Maiden or Turisas.

Incredibly highy recommended for anyone who loves Metal and particulalry relevant to fans of Maiden, Priest, Mercyful Fate and Dio.
on 9 January 2014
I have an extensive heavy metal collection and I have never encountered anything like this, I saw Hell perform first on a bill with Carcass and Amon Amarth, (Bleed From Within featured too but let's not go there!) and had never heard their material prior to that night. The adjective I'd use to describe this album, and the band in general is "Thespian", in terms of it's arrangements and David Bower's wonderful vocals, imagine Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford doing Shakespeare. With songs about MacBeth, the Bubonic Plague and the abuses of children by the Roman Catholic Church, there's plenty to enjoy for a blasphemous English metalhead. The satanic material amused me greatly, don't take it too seriously!
on 20 May 2011
If you are a fan of any form of metal, go and buy this album now.

It has been 25-30 years since these songs were initially written and they not only still sound fresh and undated, they utterly batter most metal that is being released in this day and age. And I say that as a fan of contemporary metal.

There is no filler on this album. It is incredibly well paced from start to end and segues from song to song. It also encompasses many styles, without spreading itself too thinly or feeling disjointed, from the fast and frenetic headbangers ('On Earth As It Is In Hell' and 'Let Battle Commence') to the Dio-era-Rainbow-esque epic ('The Devil's Deadly Weapon')
Even at a fairly lengthy 66mins and 6seconds you instantly want to listen to it again afterwards.

Ultimately if you are a fan of the likes of Maiden, Priest, Mercyful Fate, Rush, and early Rainbow you will fall in love with this album. However, even if you aren't you should give this album a chance because it simply full of great SONGS.
on 26 January 2014
short n sweet, so here it is - a breathtaking album, only surpassed by their latest release 'curse and chapter'; this is refreshing yet old, stunning vocals, amazing frontman who can outshine king diamond for theatrics in his own therspian metal style, production is bang on as well, album is powerful, crisp and a total masterpice

dont underestimate how good this band are, i only discovered them a few months ago when i heard Darkangel live, which for me is the nest metal song ever written....... buy, support the band and enjoy \m/
on 24 February 2013
This album is one of the best metal albums I have heard in a long time, so refreshing yet so old school. The whole album is fantastic, I listened to this in my friends car an went out and purchased the special edition straight away. With the special edition you get all the demos from early in their career.
I was lucky enough to catch them live in Derby in 2013 and what a night it was. You must buy this album if you are a fan of metal like Judas Priest and Iron MaidenHuman Remains (Limited)
on 16 May 2011
Nearly 30 years in the making but well worth the wait, Human Remains is a staggering piece of work. In this day and age people use the word amazing all to easily (check out the X factor, Britains got talent etc)but I beleive in this case it is fully justified. Not only is this album chock full of classic riffs that will keep any metal fan satisfied, the quality and intelligence of the song writing advances it to another plain. In comparison to most of the current metal scene, Hell stand apart. Check out many many other on line and metal magazine reviews which are all in agreement. In nearly 40 years of buying and listening to music this has got to be the best albumn I have ever heard. Top tracks, 'Plague and Fyre', 'Macbeth', 'The Devils Deadly Weapon', 'No Martyrs cage' no dammit they are all brilliant. Go buy it and you will not be dissapointed. I love it.I defy the very devil himself not to love this album

Oh wretched souls in mortal cast, know this and know it well. The time has come when it shall be ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HELL!!!!!!
on 12 May 2013
I've listened to this album constantly since buying it, and it simply does not get boring. The music, the lyrics, the band themselves are all simply brilliant.
on 28 September 2011
I bought this one, on recommendation, in the vague hope that it might be good and felt like I had my ears ripped off from the first listening. Musically it is hugely accomplished, progressive and consistently heavy in a really scary way. In terms of ability, there are very few bands that could generate an album as good as this. It is excruciatingly well produced and contains both the demo's and studio recording. Really.... I never review an album this highly but I genuinely feel that this is an extremely important addition to anyone's collection.
on 24 October 2011
Amazing battle against the odds...and a triumph of love, perseverence and skill... Human Remains has a strange beauty, depth and violence which...even after thousands of rock/metal albums I've bought over the last 30 years...has made a significant impression upon me. It's all great stuff...particularly as I'm a fan of Andy Sneap's production and also as I'm a local boy! Humans Remains has many highlights but just check out the last a few minutes of closer "No Martyrs Cage"...shut your eyes and imagine Hell rising on Earth :-)