TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 June 2013
The EZ TDS digital meter is a simple to use and compact meter for `total dissolved solids' (hence TDS) and will measure essentially anything that affects the electrical conductivity of the water. A point to note is that any materials that do not affect this will NOT be measured!!

The unit is small and portable, measuring only 145x35x20 mm (approx) and runs via 2 x LR44 batteries contained in the lid (these are a bit fiddly to remove and replace) and also comes with a protective carry case. The measuring head needs to be immersed in the water sample, to the specified level, for about 45 to 60 seconds to allow it to stabilise the reading, then click the hold button. I asked a friend to check it against an industrial calibrated unit and we were surprised to find that the accuracy was very good, +/- 0.3% versus the industrial unit. There are only three operating buttons, the ON/OFF, the HOLD button to lock the reading and a TEMPERATURE reading button.

Because it measures total dissolved solids, this can make it a bit difficult to interpret the results when checking a domestic water filter, as it is also measuring the presence of material that a domestic filter cannot and will not remove. Therefore, you need to build up a few measurements and reference points to guide you in how well your domestic filter is working. Also try getting hold of some distilled water as a reference point.

I found that my water filter, (when new), will remove ~ 10 to 12.5% of total recorded solids on the minimum setting and 20 to 25% on the maximum setting. This allows me to monitor performance over time. It also shows how the water quality varies over time from the unfiltered tap as well, which can be more variable than you would think. I have had readings of 210 ppm up to 340 ppm TDS.

This makes things a bit more complicated if all you are interested in is `hard water salts', but still means that you can monitor the performance of a domestic filter. The alternative is to buy a set of hardness testing strips, but these are not quite as accurate or precise, I have found.

So, it is a decent, low cost meter, but with limitations if you are just interested in reducing water hardness, as you have to spend a bit of time in working out what the meter is telling you. I have found it to be a reasonable guide (with a little work).
on 4 July 2013
I thought I was buying a ph meter, what a klutz! however after using this instrument to test and compare my filtered and unfiltered water supply I'm very impressed. It gives me another guide as to how my supermarket bought water filter is performing (adequately, but not great, it seemed to remove about a quarter of the amount of particles in solution), so I can take more informed action, ie buy a filter from another company, at least I can test it to compare. I now know that the more the particulate inclusions are in the water supply the less well our systems deal with them, ie the morte unhealthy it is for us.
Knowledge is a wonderful thing.
on 7 September 2012
The device takes approx. 45 seconds to stabilize but it works fine.
I just dip it for 5 ~ 10 seconds and click the hold button.
on 19 June 2012
Bought the TDS meter to test my reverse osmosis water and found the TDS reading was high. Having the filters replaced asap so TDS meter did the job.
on 7 February 2012
I am satisfied with my purchase,i have tested the water quality of 2 different water filters comparing with tap water and was pleasantly surprised with the results.
I also tested water for injection with 0 ppm and the colloidal silver i have made.
on 12 June 2013
This is a very neat small instrument with an easily visible display, and it measures 'total dissolved solids' in the water. That makes it somewhat difficult to interpret the measurements. I bought the instrument to measure the salt content in water which had about 4000 parts per million of salt added. The reading was 9750 ppm. I don't believe my estimated salt level is that wrong but as the instrument measures water hardness dissolved solids plus anything else, it may well be reading right but telling me somethings that is of no value. If you are thinking of getting an instrument of this type, make sure that it can tell you what you want to know first.
on 31 May 2014
Great meter works very well. We use it for testing ppm of Colloidal Silver in our distilled water.
Reasonably priced pleased with this purchase.
on 2 May 2014
I bought this TDS meter primarily to test my tap water to see how many parts per million of junk therein , I was shocked to find how much pollution my tap water contained, Sodium fluoride, chlorine etc , I then tested bottled water mountain spring which contained just as much if not more than the tap water. without the EZ TDS meter, I would still be drinking this bad water, I now drink distilled water, which is pure h2o 000 parts per million. So in conclusion the EZ TDS meter is one of the best items I have purchased in the last month,
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2015
While this item arrived and does what it says, item two has not arrived, I bought the two items at the one time so dossapointed to only have received one, bad show on Amazons part.
on 17 June 2013
my partner bought this and said it was interesting finding out the results in tap water and bottled water, results were quite an eye opener.