5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Great floor workout, great barre workout, and sectioned into level one and two for those days when you want an easy or hard workout. a must for home practising.
Published on 12 July 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars So dated
Published on 12 Sep 2011 by liveenl

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 July 2005
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Does wonders for the legs and bum, 15 July 2009
What a wonderful workout. I have never done ballet in a class, and my only other ballet "experience" are the NYC Ballet workout videos, and so I was slightly hesitant about ordering this DVD. However, it came, I exercised once with it and was hooked immediately. This is a brilliant workout for the legs and bum and really, no previous ballet experience is necessary; in fact, I was quite surprised that I can manage the whole DVD without falling over my clumsy feet. The great thing is that there is not very much dancing (which is what I dreaded most, having two left feet). Instead, 90% of the workout are individual exercises to improve the muscle tone of your legs. Lots and LOTS of plies especially. They are quite painful but I noticed a change in my legs after regularly using the DVD 3 times a week for a month.

Level 1 starts off with about 10 minutes of stretching, then moves on to barre work (individual exercises of the legs holding a chair or bar for balance) which includes all those plies, lunges, battements etc done in first and second position. And then about 10 minutes of Centre Work where you do similar exercses but quicker and without holding on to your chair, and some ballet jumps which are a killer but probably wonderful for the legs.

Level 2 is basically the same, with a 10 minute stretch, then barre work, but the only difference is that all the exercises are done in first and second positions, and then in the extra third position. And the final 10 minutes Centre Work which is similar to level 1 but does include a couple of dancey sequences which I omit knowing how clumsy I am when it comes to dancing.

I normally do all of Level 1 and the first 2 parts of Level 2 to get an hour and 10 minutes workout - and my legs feel really great after using this DVD, as if every single muscle has been used. And even without prior experience of ballet I can do practically all the exercises; of course, in some of them my flexibility isn't good enough to lift my leg as high as the dancers do, but even lifting it slightly lower you feel your muscles working. The only down side of this DVD for me is that there is no proper cool down and so you have to do your own stretching at the end. And another problem is that this DVD only works the legs and bum, there are no stomach exercises at all, so you won't work your abs much just by using this DVD and you'll have to use another DVD for that.

But overall this is a wonderful workout for all those flabby bits on your thighs :) It an 80's video and so is not aesthetically pleasing as the NYC Ballet workout dvds; but the music is lovely and soothing and if you're after a good workout rather than a beautiful production, you will love this.

3.0 out of 5 stars So dated, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
The soundtrack is warped, the fashion is unreal, the teacher is unsmiling ... Having said that, I do have a soft spot for this dvd and it is definitely a workout. I am not a ballet dancer and therefore not at all pliable, but after 20 mins I am sweating like a man. It's intense (for a newbie)! I would make one recommendation: do some warmups of your own before switching on the dvd, as I find that I am still very unwielding after the warmups she takes you through and could risk pulling a muscle. Also, make a lot of room - this routine covers an area bigger than a yoga mat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn Ballet? This is what you need, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
For a 19 year old girl whom loves ballet and never got the chance to learn to dance this has been perfect to show me all the proper stretches, the plies, some moves, the timing, movements and rhythm, this is an EXCELLENT dvd.
Sure it was filmed a while ago but it is very challenging, works wonders and really helps tone you up! I can feel myself gaining flexibility and strength as the days go on and I love this. My bum has never looked better and I'm only a skinny person!
It can be a little strenuous but in my opinion that is good, the girl teaching is very good and level one starts off at a mediocre difficulty (based on the fact most people are not that flexible) the plies it shows you all about timing and it may go a little fast to begin with but pause it and try, watch closely, always join in and really sit to think about the movements before performing them again and you will notice how much better you become!

I highly recommend this DVD for anyone of any age. My next step is to get my mother involved! Seriously, anyone can try this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good DVD, 14 Mar 2007
I have never done Ballet and thought I would give the work out a go to compliment my style of dance and I thought it was great. Having had no previous knowledge of the names of the moves etc, I was pleased to find that the instructor described each move well and did not assume you could do it all superbly. A must for a home workout!

5.0 out of 5 stars immensely useful, 11 Dec 2007
Having taken a few 'beginner' ballet classes recently i was becoming frustrated at not being able to hold positions for long enough and at the weakness of my muscles, a great workout for toning and strengthening plus aids technique. Highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant DVD, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this having no experience of ballet, and having been a couch potato for about 30 of my 31 years, and im completely addicted! very clear instructions and the two part dvd is a great idea, yep, the music and clothes are a little dated, but personally it really doesn't bother me, im having way too much fun trying to get it right! a great workout, and you start to notice the difference in you're legs really quickly! highly recommend this dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ballet instruction, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I read a review saying that this DVD is so dated with wonky piano music and 1980's clothing...But the Ballet instruction is marvellous and for a beginner to learn proper position of feet and core its is a must....after a while the wonky music and dated clothing adds to the charm..because i challenge anyone to do this program Level 1 and 2 and not be sweating &have aching muscles..

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice ballet workout, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
We can clearly see this class was filmed a long time ago but is not shocking at all, sound and image are perfect.
But the workout is efficient and exercises are true ballet barre.
I liked it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this dvd for my 11 yr old daughter to assist and improve her ballet skills. I also use this dvd, its understandable and not too slow. Good purchase

Ballet Workout [DVD]
Ballet Workout [DVD] by Melissa Lowe (DVD - 2012)