5.0 out of 5 stars The strongest Picoult book yet
Published on 20 April 2011 by Nicola F (Nic)

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two parts
This is a book of two parts. The main part - Zoe and Vanessas' relationship is written beautifully. Picoult writes an sympathetic and unsentimental (although romantic) picture of the pair. She also highlights the bigotry of some church movements towards gay people.

Published on 12 Jun 2011 by P. Burnard

5.0 out of 5 stars The strongest Picoult book yet, 20 April 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sing You Home (Hardcover)
It really irks me when Picoult's books are described as 'courtroom dramas' or said to be 'formulaic' because believe me, they are so much more than that. Her books are always a compelling blend of ethical dilemmas, gritty drama, moral issues and above all else, stories with a heart and an unexpected twist in the tale. Just when you think you know what is going to happen, something else is thrown at you that leaves you wondering just what will happen next. For me, this is the strongest Picoult book yet, which is no mean feat because I didn't think she'd ever be able to top the sheer brilliance that was 'Nineteen Minutes.'

I loved this novel. It's hard to say too much without giving away any of the plot, but I will say that it focuses on the true to life issues of the heartbreak of losing a baby, the struggles of IVF, same sex relationships and religion- a real mixed bag of engrossing topics! That's the main point of this novel: it feels real. Very real. In fact, it upset me at points because it felt so true to life and was written so compassionately on the certain situations and scenarios.

Picoult as ever, has really done her research and crafts a beautiful tale with incredibly drawn characters with believable flaws and personalities; it had me turning the pages wanting to know more about them and their lives and left me unable to put this down. As an atheist myself, I did find it a bit overdone on religious sentiment at time, but it did work with the stories theme and characters actions. I also liked how she incorporated certain current happenings to make the story even more believeable; i.e. at one point she had members of the Westborough Baptist Church in there, which added a completely realistic slant to events and happenings. Nobody quite writes like Jodi!

Recommended for long-time fans of Picoult and anyone wanting to give her books a try for the first time; this would be a great place for you to start- the accompanying CD soundtrack is also a winner (clever idea!) and very fitting with the story itself- just beautiful. I think this is her most personal story yet- and she tells it incredibly well.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two parts, 12 Jun 2011
P. Burnard (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing You Home (Kindle Edition)

The other part is about Zoe's incompetence as a music therapist. She seems to wander around with her acoustic guitar like a travelling minstrel. She has no hesitation about diving, univited, into the rooms of dying children and older men to seemingly play them the wrong tunes. Her relationship with the suicidal teenager is just bizarre and her treatment methods unlikely to achieve anything but more likely to make the situation worse. This part of Picoult's writing slides into the mawkish. She is often overly tempted to slip into aphorisms that seem to be straight out of a self-help book.

I worry that Picoult tries too hard to hit the right 'buttons' to produce emotional effect. I know, though, that I am in a minority here and appreciate that many appreciate this book very much. For me, it was not one of Jodi's best.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of an anti-climax (WARNING - SPOILER ALERT), 2 May 2011
This review is from: Sing You Home (Hardcover)
I am an avid Jodi Picoult fan, I have read nearly all of her novels, and I have to say i dont think this was her best effort. For me everything stops when I get her new book, (luckly for me she always releases them in time for my birthday!) I thought the CD was a nice touch although I will be honest I cant listen to music and read at the same time. Maybe if i read the book again i will give the CD a try at the same time.

I love Jodi's style of writing, whereby she dedicates each chapter to a character and writes from their perspective, this is extremely common in her novels. I felt the characters were well explored which consequently provided an insight into their backgrounds. However, although I liked the premise of the story, i just didnt believe it. Dont get me wrong I think it is a real contentious issue for same sex couples to fight for the same rights as heterosexual couples along with the issue of battling for custody of embryos from a retrospective relationship and I dont think i would come up with a fair conclusion for this, and I understand and empathise with anyone in this or a similar situation.

The religous aspect of this book grated on me and I found myself skim reading these parts aswell as feeling angry at the attitudes Picoult was conveying. I understand that this is in essence indicitive of her superb writing, but i just thought it was a little too heavy, although that is just my personal opinion, and maybe most of it was necessary for the book. I agree with a previous reviewer, in that if you are religious this may not be the book for you.

The characters themselves I liked. I particularly liked Vanessa and her vulnerability, and i feel this could have been explored a lot further. Although it was explained that she had a less than perfect childhood and her mother wasnt supportive of her sexuality. However, i feel this could have been expanded as we only had a short time in the book focused on her. Max frustrated me, it felt as though he didnt really know what he wanted and felt he continuously tried to gain approval from those around him.

As with some of the other reviewers, i felt the ending was not only rushed but unbelievable. I wished that the character of Lucy had been explored more, and we never knew why she "accused" Zoe of sexual harrassment and whther her father had a part play in that. We knew that she was troubled but it was never explicit as to why other than her religious conflict with her parents. Her sexuality was hinted at but not confirmed. Although it was unexpected I was frustrated that Max suddenly had a change of heart, and gave the embryos to Zoe. After all the reasons that Max gave for wanting his brother to have them, just doesnt seem believeable that he would just "change his mind". The last chapter, infuriated me as it was a happy ever after ending, Max ended up with Liddy, but no mention of how that happened. yes it was discovered that they had feelings for one another but as Picoult clearly described Liddy's character she had no intention of leaving Reid and her character being extremeley religious, i just dont think it was fitting. Also, in the final chapter, Samantha says she has a loving family with her 2 moms and her dad, given that Max stated repeatedly that he did not want to be father (which was why he wanted Reid and Liddy to have the embryos and he wanted be uncle max), just seems to saccahrine for me. There was no conclusion for Liddy either, other than her getting together with Max, regarding her wanting a child.

All in all, i did enjoy it i just dont think its up to Picoult's usually high standards and it certainly wasnt me favourite.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying too hard, 30 April 2011
J. Choppin (East Anglia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing You Home (Hardcover)
Because I expected so much from Jodi, I was disappointed. For me her other novels have been 5 star (except Mercy, which I just didn't like). She deals fearlessly with difficult issues and keeps you in suspense, however, I found "Sing you home" predictable and a confusion of issues such that none of them are properly dealt with. I feel like she is trying too hard, and as for the music, it left me cold. I listened to each track before and after each chapter, but found that it added nothing. The lyrics, indeed the music was 'quite nice' but I don't think I would go out of my way to listen to it otherwise. It was a distraction. I enjoyed the novel but it's not her best!
Jon Choppin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Picoult book I've read, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Sing You Home (Hardcover)
I've read all of Jodi Picoult's novels and have loved most of them, reading cover to cover in a couple of days. There have only been two I didn't get along with - Sing You Home was one of those. I won't say what the other one is but its still languishing on my bedside table waiting to be adored....the only Picoult novel I haven't finished. I ordered Sing You Home from Amazon and I must admit when it arrived and I realised there was a soundtrack to go with it - that sort of threw me. I'm ok about authors experimenting and Jodi's novel "the nineteenth cicle" with its comic strip didn't give me a rush of enthusiasm but I read it anyway. I downloaded the first few songs of the soundtrack to Sing You Home but they did nothing for me - I just didn't get the concept. As for the story....the character of Zoe, a music therapist seems pretty lame. She wanders univited into hospital room and plays to dying kids, burns victims, dementia patients, etc. The scenes where Zoe works with a suicidal teen in the school canteen was, well......totally unbelievable. In this book I found the characters, the story, and the plot all very weak and although I finished the book it definately wasn't one of Picoult's best as far as I was concerned.

3.0 out of 5 stars Started Well, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Sing You Home (Hardcover)
I was quite excited to read this book because I have personal experiences with fertility issues. I actually cried in the first couple of chapters but after that I felt the quality dropped off, and I really disliked the ending.
I listened to the music in the first couple of chapters but didn't bother after that, although the couple I listened to I liked. But that's just me-I'd rather just read! I love music and books but the recent fad of soundtracks to books just doesn't work for me.
Usually I like Jodi Picoult's work because she comments on contraversial topics but remains mostly neutral. However, I felt there was a serious agenda to this book and her personal opinion was really pushed onto you. I'm no homophobe, but you can really see how her sons coming out (mentioned in the preface) influenced the book.
So 3 stars for such a good beginning, but not something I'll be rereading.

****SPOILER BELOW****

And what the f about Reid in the epilogue? From what I see he tried to be a good guy throughout the book, and he got shafted with no explanation??

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Readable, but Disappointing All the Same, 17 July 2011
L. J. Kenyon "laurajayne3" (Lancaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing You Home (Hardcover)
Firstly, I should say that I love Jodi Picoult's writing and have read all of her books. I know she has some predictable plot patterns and follows a formula but even this isn't enough to put me off most of the time, since the stories and her indepth research tend to outshine that.

Maybe that is why I am so disappointed with this book. It is still very easy to read and enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but I was frustrated throughout and felt cheated on finishing it. It's difficult to explain thoroughly without giving too much a way, but lets just say that there are A LOT of cliches, plot holes and things that just seem a little far-fetched, on top of an obvious attempt to follow her successful formula. So many lifechanging decisions are made in a very short space of time, as if to enable Picoult to cram all her themes into one story. Moreover, some of these things just seem a 'convenient' way to get from A to B and are quickly forgotten - one of them being a character called Lucy, possibly the most interesting character in the book, who we hear nothing of at the end (and no, I don't think this is some intentional plot device).

The main characters are weak and flimsy, their behaviour a lot of the time seems off par, and I never really sympathised with any of them; in fact, at times they just bugged me. The lesbian issue seemed to be viewed through rose tinted spectacles, naive and a little too neat and tidy for me. The religious aspect felt double standard much of the time and each point of view too clear cut. Even the theme of motherhood and IVF that is central to the book seemed superficial and, although the ideas for a great story were there, it never really felt like it achieved all that it could have. It seemed more like an early draft that needed padding out a little to make it whole, almost as if she had rushed to get it on the shelf - even the eventual court scenes that bring us our conclusion only cover a chapter or two and we hear only tidbits of people's statements. Another 100 - 200 pages would not have hurt this book at all.

I could go on, but I don't want to sound too negative. After all, I did devour this book over a couple of days and it was hardly a chore; it won't stop me from buying future books by Picoult either. However, I think the author needs to realise that a good book is worth waiting for and that we, as readers, would much rather she take the extra time to get it right than to continue releasing half-hearted attempts so as to keep up with her yearly output.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 April 2011
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sing You Home (Hardcover)
Oh my! Another absolutely compelling read and most definitely one of her very best. There has been some online criticism that Jodi Picoult writes to a formula, I'm not sure that is completely true, but agree that her novels are always about social issues, family drama and relationships. Yes, once again, the story is narrated individually by the main characters, but as always, it really does work. What better way to see all sides of the same story? If this is formula - then it works for me as a fan, and certainly works for Ms Picoult as an author - why change something that certainly isn't broken.
It's also a shame that her books are labelled as 'courtroom dramas' when they are so much more than that. Her books deal with real, social, topical issues, with real families and people dealing with real life and not just the legalities and court procedures. Although there is no doubt that she does write the court-room episodes very well indeed.
So, back to Sing You Home; there are so many different issues dealt with in this novel, at first I wondered if it was too many, but as the story is told and the plot unfolds each issue knits together perfectly and only adds to the drama and to the plot.
Zoe, the music therapist, and desperate to be a Mother married to Max the reformed drinker and bit of a beach bum - both ordinary, everyday people whose lives have been changed by the fact that they can't naturally conceive. The impact of their loss on their marriage and where they turn for help influences the rest of the story. It's difficult to say too much without giving away the plotline, but homosexuality and religion play a large part in the story.
There were times I had to close the book and take a deep breath to control my anger. The outrage I felt towards some of the characters was enormous - that a fictional story and made-up characters can provoke such emotion says a lot for the quality of the writing.
Picoult fans will not be disappointed with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Religious bigotry v homosexuality, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Sing You Home (Kindle Edition)
As usual, Jodi Picoult manages a contentious subject thoroughly while also telling an engrossing story, earning a 5 star from me. I suppose I should declare an interest - my own daughter was raised by 2 moms. She's a graduate, married for many years and has a child. Picoult's voicing of her characters was very resonant of my personal experience (including a degree of evangelical Christian bigotry to deal with). It's difficult for me to place this book within the body of her work because it rang a lot of personal bells.
Anybody wanting some insight into the emotional turmoil that being gay stirs up for the individual, their family, their ex heterosexual partner could do a lot worse than read this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Endings need work!, 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: Sing You Home (Kindle Edition)
Very readable as always, due to the fascinating issues discussed. But oh dear the ending is really weak. I have great respect, of course, for this author but there always seems to be a fizzling out that lets down the great drama of the books.

And really here - 3 embryos and two women wanting them, how about one each and one for luck, problem solved.

I also found the casual dismissal of Zoe's cancer totally unbelievable and in fact just a bit silly as indeed the "twist" of Max's last minute oh-so-predictable cop out of a decision!

ARRAY(0xaa9e169c)