‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb overview of a new and exciting therapy, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Kindle Edition)
I thought the 'Happiness Trap' was a great book. It remains a very readable and very entertaining approach to a serious subject. The Confidence Gap is even better. I am a clinical psychologist and I have been working with people with anxiety and depression for many years - I am aware of the range of self-help books in the field - and believe me, this book is one of the best. It revisits the field and provides a more comprehensive overview of the ACT philosophy and treatment strategies. It has really helped me in work with patients. And.....

...it has also been useful for me personally. It has helped me to think about the direction I am going in life and to have a more healthy relationship with the inevitable problems that crop up. (Remember the famous Mark Twain quote: "Life is just one damned thing after another!). This approach makes a lot of sense and can help you plan and work towards a more fulfilling and rewarding life.

Just read that last sentence again! It really is that good!

I think that the author has written a 'classic' self help book. I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and packed with useful activities and techniques, 4 Feb 2012
Luke T (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be very helpful. The book is insightful and uses easy to understand real-world examples to explain the various concepts of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). The practical exercises found throughout the book are easy to get stuck into right away and can be very effective.

Highly recommended for anyone who is looking to overcome procrastination and struggling with a lack of confidence/motivation/direction.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book., 13 May 2011
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Paperback)
The confidence gap is a brilliant new book by Dr. Russ Harris that in my opinion has really hit the nail on the head with how true confidence works and can be achieved. It explains clearly how with a little hard work and perseverance we can learn to understand ourselves better and achieve things we were previously terrified of.

The author uses acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) to demonstrate how we do not have to be slaves to our thoughts (a nice example in the book is to try raising your arm whilst repeating to yourself "I can't lift my arm". see what happens!). The author also invites us to identify our values, the things that really matter to us, the things we want our lives to be about. He shows us that once we have a clear idea of our values we can then use these as a life compass, so that even if we are like a boat lost in fog (the comparison here being the fog of fear, doubt, sadness etc) we still know where we want to be heading.

As you work through the book you shall live life in a more and more fulfilling way, I personally have found myself going to bed satisfied with a day well lived and then springing out of bed the next morning ready for the next one! Negative emotions such as fear still occur frequently when i am pushing out of my comfort zone but instead of being dominated by them they just become friends along for the ride.

The best part of all this is that this method and ACT in general is widely backed by science. (examples and references are cited in the book)

Thank you Dr. Harris for an excellent book

5.0 out of 5 stars Pragmatic, focussed and thoughtful, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for people needing assistance in dealing with confidence and anxiety difficulties in a pragmatic way. Right from the start, readers are encouraged to be clear as to what greater confidence would look like in our own lives, and to reflect on particular circumstances where we are currently struggling. Regular prompts to check on what our thoughts are doing help with active reading and a variety of exercises are introduced to identify values and develop mindfulness. These are built on in a structured way so that by the end of the book readers should be able to have a specific plan for dealing with areas of life that would benefit from more confidence.

The insights in this book have already gripped me and, along with the exercises, are helping me to approach challenging situations more calmly and to deal with their consequences with more resilience. Having recently experienced a sudden drop in confidence following illness I was in the unexpected position of shopping for a 'self-help' book, particularly for dealing with the problems I have been having at work. There are many schools of thought in developing confidence, ranging from the vague spiritual/relaxation approach to an aggressive, confident = dominant tone, which to me would be an entire personality change. This book may not be a strategy that suits everyone and some potentially uncomfortable self-analysis is required, but for those who prefer a calm, focussed approach and who are willing to put in the effort and thought I would strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical solutions for real life, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Paperback)
This book reinspired me when I'd lost my confidence and felt full of loathing for self-help therapy books.

The book acknowledges that we are primed to worry and that negative thoughts are part of how we evolved. The main deal is to not pay so much attention to our worries 'they dont like me' or to our fantasies 'they think I'm great' and to put attention into what really counts: how we behave, what we do, what we say, what we stand for.
I hope you find some good tactics in the book

5.0 out of 5 stars More quality ACT, directed at an important problem, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Kindle Edition)
One aspect of modern life being rubbish is the constant attacks on our confidence from a media and business machine that wants us to buy buy buy. They do that by digging away at our confidence. ACT is a psychotherapy that helps us pause and see that happening better. Harris writes well, a very engaging book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good techniques and insights included, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Paperback)
I have very much enjoyed this book. The author is very insightful and offers clear ideas and techniques to change your behaviour in a positive way.

5.0 out of 5 stars GETTING BACK TO "THE OLD ME", 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Paperback)
HAVING BEEN EPILEPTIC ALL MY LIFE AND HAVING HAD MAJOR SURGERY IN 2004, AS WELL AS HAVING GONE THROUGH MANY A SERIOUS TRAUMA IN MY LIFE I AM NOW STILL AN OUTPATIENT AT THE QUEEN ELIZABETH HOSPITAL HERE IN BIRMINGHAM. APART FROM OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS I HAVE LOST MY CONFIDENCE, NOT ONLY IN MYSELF BUT IN LIFE ITSELF. AS WELL AS HAVING OUTPATIENT APPOINTMENTS WITH MY DOCTOR I ALSO REGULARLY HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH AN OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST. IT WAS WHILST ON ONE OF MY SUCH VISITS THAT SHE STARTED TO SUGGEST VARIOUS WAYS OF OVERCOMING MY CURRENT HEALTH PROBLEMS. ON ASKING HER WHAT SHE WAS READING FROM I WAS SHOWN THE BOOK IN QUESTION. HENCE MY REASON FOR PURCHASING THE SAID BOOK FROM YOURSELVES. SINCE DOING SO I HAVE HAD FOLK REMARK ON MY HEALTH AND SAY SUCH THINGS TO ME AS "YOU APPEAR TO BE GETTING BACK TO YOUR OLD SELF". AT 61 AND HAVING SUFFERED EPILEPSY ALL MY LIFE I WANT TO START LIVING AND FEEL THAT WITH THE HELP OF THIS BOOK THAT OPPORTUNITY MAY JUST BE AROUND THE CORNER.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it you won't be disappointed, 16 Feb 2012
M. A. G. Nolan "Koyunbaba" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Kindle Edition)
Having just finished the confidence gap, i'm am going to write this review and, after i've done that, re-read the whole book again-this time taking notes. It is a fantastic book and it is wonderfully written. The author is engaging, relaxed, funny and easy to read all the same time. I've had reason to use CBT in the past for depression and had never heard of ACT but to be honest everything the author said is joined up and makes sense. He's not selling snakeoil though, if you want the benefits there are skills you need to master, and a commitment to be true to yourself. I cannot rate this book highly enough. I've got several friends and family members i'm going to buy it for. Just buy it, read it, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book, 29 April 2013
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Paperback)
This book is very easy to use and provides a great deal of practical advice for those who are suffering problems with fear and lack of confidence.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›