5.0 out of 5 stars A great, great game...
Published on 5 July 2012 by M. Sowden

2.0 out of 5 stars unplayable
Published 11 months ago by Pete

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, great game..., 5 July 2012
M. Sowden (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this even though I had the original version as its cheaper than buying all the add-ons. Read the advice at the bottom if you want to avoid/minimise the lagging and loading time issues. I have played both this and Fallout 3 for about 100 hours each and I have to say this is better. The main quest is shorter but there's a lot more side quests and the weapon modding feature really adds some depth. Overall a fantastic game. Right now for the advice (I found this on a forum after tearing my hair out for a few days and nearly sending the game back)...

- Turn off auto save,

- Try and use a new save game slot each time you save (do this one as a last resort if the first and last point don't work),

- After pressing X at the trophy screen, hold down L2, R2 and Square until the "press start" message appears and disappears. This message will reappear when you let go and this let's you know you've cleared the cache properly. Now play the game and enjoy the speed! This has worked for me and I hope it works for you - I love this game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger, Badder, BETTER!, 12 Mar. 2012
Mr. J. A. Hill "J.Hill" (North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Before I go into detail on how awesome I think this game is, I just wanna let the curious people know that I have had no problems with the game in terms of bugs, freezes, glitches or whatever you wanna call them. In my opinion it runs a lot smoother than the standard edition of the game which was choppy in places.
Now I bought this version of the game on the first day it came out and I haven't been playing anything else. The game has become a lot more enjoyable for me because I know there is so much more extra stuff to do now that the extra content has been put on the disc. Even without the dlc you have hours upon hours of gameplay but this just adds the cherry to the cake.
In the Mojave Wasteland, you can do literally anything. If you want to be a badass, you can be one. If you fancy taking a more liberal approach to certain situations, you can do just that.
Your character becomes quite a personal entity whilst playing because everything you do becomes known to those that live in the Mojave. What I enjoy most about New Vegas is the fact you have so many different gangs that you can work for. All of which have different benefactors for becoming their pal. But if you annoy one a gang, they will do whatever it takes to turn you into pile of goo.
I could go on forever with this review and I don't have much more to say.
Do not stop yourself from buying this game. This game is for the individual. It's single-player for a reason. FPS fan? GET IT. RPG fan? GET IT. And if you love blowing limbs off and blowing other stuff up, this is the game for you.
Being stealthy is how I play it.
What you need to ask yourself whilst starting this game is how you're going to play it.
I hope this was helpful for you all. This is my first ever review for such a wonderful game. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars More bang for buck, 9 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Quite simply this is Fallout: New Vegas plus all the DLC that was released online. So if you loved New Vegas, as I did, you can now enjoy it a bit more. As I'm sure many others would have figured out, it's cheaper to trade in your existing release copy of New Vegas and then buy this edition than it is to buy all the DLC separately. Plus it will pick up your existing game saves. What's not to like?

2.0 out of 5 stars unplayable, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
This has got to be the best and worse game I have bought for PS3. While it was running well the game was great but I cannot agree more with the comments regarding frame rate and freezing. It has got to the point that I am lucky to get 10 minutes jerk ridden play before it freezes. The start of the game seemed to be good and this was a couple of months ago but the further into the game I got and the bigger the game save the worse the game got which is very frustrating after this many hours of gameplay. There were nil problems when playing Fallout 3. If someone has a solution I would be grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
If you are a fan of immersive RPG experiences then this one is a must have. The sprawling world that Bethesda usually delivers with Obsidian's great storytelling abilities, true choice and consequence, and a bleak but at the same time funny vision of the end of days. Most of the bugs have been cleared and with all the DLC it's hours upon hours of endless fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Finally unplayable..., 3 July 2012
I. Henry - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Ive read the other five star reviews, and if im honest, a week ago I might have given a four star review, a few bugs here and there, bit of lag but otherwise great. However if you plan on playing this game right up past level 30 and intend to get your moneys worth from it you will be sorely dissapointed. I am now in the high level 30s in game and will now have to start again... why? 1. Every building/ indoors area lags so badly that it takes (not exaggerating) just over a minute for any controls to respond 2. I can no longer use gun runners, nor can i use most other trading areas as they cause crashes and I have to reset the playstation (I had to reset 5 times in one case just to buy a single rare item) this is not good for the playstation!!!! 3. There are no cures for this, everyone i know has the same problem and downloading on psn doesnt seem any better.

Before level 30 it was tolerable, however the definitive ending in my opinion was another deal breaker, clearly showing little was learnt from fallout 3. The ending ruins the whole flow of the game, meaning the game makes little sense if you dont follow the storyline right to the end essentially taking away from all the extra content. As i said though this was tolerable the lag and crashing is not, I dont think this game will ever be back in the playstation as it will probably damage it over time and besides in its current state it is almost totally unplayable. If you want any proof of this just look on youtube and finally, avoid at all costs, bethesda should not be rewarded for giving out such trash and not even attempting to fix it!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Technical disappointment, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
After writing my review on Fallout 3 GOTY, which can be summarised as "great story, bad software", I have thought a while about purchasing Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition. I did buy it, I played it until my in-game character made it to level 50 yesterday, and I slept a night to make sure I don't write an overly angry review. Sleeping did not help much.

I cannot understand why Bethesda Softworks keeps up releasing titles which have a well written and enthralling storyline, but are so horribly badly made when it comes to the software implementation. Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim -- all these games are plagued by serious technical issues on the Xbox 360 platform and even worse on the PS3.

Even with a SSD instead of a regular HD in my PlayStation 3 (go on, laugh), the lag issues are extremely aggravating, spoiling all the fun. The larger your save-games get, the more the performance declines, forcing you to reboot every 10-30 minutes. From my observations, Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition is the worst of the bunch. In my personal opinion, the story is good (although not quite as excellent as Fallout 3), but the software is so bad that I can not recommend you buying it. Quite a shame, really.

1.0 out of 5 stars The buggiest game I've ever played on my ps3 - poor coding ruins a good game, 20 July 2013
Maziar (NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
If you are looking for some blind reassurance telling you all is well with this game then look elsewhere, otherwise read on

Now I don't usually say more than a few lines when I do a review but I feel strongly enough about the subject (quality assurance) to make an exception here, so lets get to it even if this is more of a rant than a review!

As your save file becomes larger (that is as you progress thru the game) you will need to reboot every 10 minutes (and quite often every 2 minutes) as the frame rate grinds to a complete halt. Opening your "pipboy" for example, which normally is instantaneous will now take well over a minute, and simply put this is unplayable totally unacceptable garbage. Try and imagine this, you are in the heat of the battle with 5 enemies, you go to open your pipboy for some much needed chemical enhancement and now suddenly you've got to wait 2 minutes for it to respond. WTF. It totally ruins combat flaw and game immersion and this is merely 1 example of many many situations where this frame rate issue can suddenly crop up. Other examples include fast travelling, going to a vendor to trade item, entering certain areas even when on foot and for the piece de resistance, approaching groups of enemies. You may well ask what else is left. Crashes like these requiring a PS3 reboot/reset do not promote the longevity of your console. Will Bethesda compensate any of us for a "fried" PS3?

Also the "hold down L2R2square button" advice to "clear the cache" given by another reviewer does not work, it certainly didn't work for me. People responsible for putting such a defective game on the market should be put up against a wall and have their limbs shot off preferably in the V.A.T.S. system and with the little guy from the 'level up screen' doing the shooting with a cheeky smile on his face and a riot shotgun in his hands. I can not understand how Bethesda now openly admits to this game having issues on the PS3 yet refuses to release a patch and simply blames the console for not being able to cope with "dynamic environments". What rubbish, don't they know its a sin to tell a lie!! Besides if they knew problems existed then they shouldn't have released the game on this platform in the 1st place, the money grabbing tossers. Astonishingly enough the PS3 seems to cope just fine with such "dynamic environments" in many other games graphically far more demanding than this game.

Furthermore fallout 3 on the ps3 was a very stable game then how come FONV, which graphically looks inferior to its predecessor, is such a mess. How could you ruin it like this Bethesda/obsidian/zenimax? I am glad the developers missed out on their bonus pay. Apparently they needed a score of 85 on the metacritic but only managed 84. Good, I would have given them a kick in the teeth instead of a bonus. Its annoying when a game is simply poor but its infuriating when a good game is ruined by poor coding and glitches. I am boycotting Bethesda games and if every console owner did the same maybe then they would stop their practice of releasing games before they are fully tested to ensure all major issues are ironed out pre release. Like any gamer I can put up with the occasional minor glitch here and there (like a scorpion being stuck halfway in a rock) but not having to reboot every few minutes!

When the game does run its an absolute joy and very fun to play easily scoring 4 out of 5 stars. I must have put in well over 75hrs of game play and I certainly would have kept my copy of the game upon completion were it not for the faults. In principal FONV is a far more enjoyable game than fallout 3 imo with superb DLCs (big mountain and lonely road were my favourites) and a few new ideas like creating your own recipes at campfires and upgrading ammunition at workbenches. In practice however if a game does not run properly then it isn't worth a penny.They may not be game breaking bugs but they are as close to it as you can get. I did complete the game including the DLCs (resetting every few minutes particularly in the latter stages after it either crashed or the frame rate dropped to a complete stand still and these episodes were frequently accompanied by outbursts of anger and frustration on my part manifesting themselves as profanity!).

Yes its a lot of game for the money and yes its great fun to play when it runs properly but are those reasons enough to risk ruining your console? Do they justify putting up with the frustration and aggravation of rebooting 5 times in a 15 minute period? I say absolutely not. On many occasions I was literally on the verge of throwing the controller at the TV screen. I paid good hard cash for a new copy of the game; I expect it to run smoothly and not wreck my relaxation time. I defy anyone to play this game on the PS3 upwards of 30 hours and not experience major frame rate issues which progressively become worse and completely crippling by the time your save file hits 16/17 MB. And to all those who blindly give an overall 4 or 5 star rating to this game having only played it for a few hours, or because the game is seemingly good value for money or because it arrived early, well packaged and the recipient was happy, just remember you are merely encouraging developers to continue rushing and pushing out faulty games out the door without subjecting them to rigorous quality assurance testing pre release and not providing adequate customer care post release. I strongly urge people to reevaluate their rating once they've spent enough time with this game, as will I if the aforementioned problems are ever addressed. Lets show developers that most people are not morons and can't be simply fobbed off with pretty little phrases like dynamic environments.

I really hate to say this but avoid altogether and save yourself the aggravation as ultimately the flaws considerably outweigh all the fun. It is disappointing that now whenever I see a copy of this game on the shelves I am invariably reminded of feelings of anger and irritation instead of a fun and immersive rpg which it so easily could have been. Shame on you Bethesda for releasing such a defective game in the 1st place and not even attempting to at least fix it afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Great game, and delivered in very quick time. I bought this game while i was stationed overseas and had it dispatched to me. It arrived very promptly and helped pass the long nights while i was away from home. Since returning my wife has started to play as well, and she loves it. If you're into Skyrim and fancy playing something similar but set in a post nuclear future, then this game is for you. Trust me, it's awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game but lacks the flair of Fallout 3., 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Really getting my teeth into this game,setting is unique with some interesting characters and dialogue but it lacks flair. The plot and quests seem a little clunky at times and FO3 seemed to have endless possibilities after the credits rolled where this doesn't,you have to save beforehand when prompted. My advice,play FO3 then buy this with spare change you can accumulate because its great but far from its predecessor.

Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (PS3)