5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible
Reissued,remastered,new casing(digipak),as good as any Westbrook record before or since--the British Ellington,but with a touch of Britten.We used to call this third stream,a blending of classical and jazz,but third stream in this instance means first class.Buy it!Now!
Published on 19 April 2011 by Music Lover

2.0 out of 5 stars Singularly unimpressed
Having had prior experience of Westbrook's work ("Metropolis", "Citadel" among others) I was quite looking forward to this, as I thought it may be similar to his other extended work in my collection, "Marching Song".

Oh brother, how disappointed I was.

Published on 30 Jan 2012 by happysalvo

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, 19 April 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Cortege - Mike Westbrook (Audio CD)
I was one of the lucky souls who saw this performed live - a truly overwhelming experience. This band was the cream of Britain's modern jazz players under the direction of possibly our greatest composer/bandleader.
It draws on a massive variety of influences, and truly fulfills its aim of being a transformation of a New Orleans funeral.
I was also one of those whose names were listed on the cover of the orginal Original release - we paid for copies of the album in advance to help defray the recording costs, and the original triple 12" holds pride of place in my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 9 Sep 2013
Jarbi (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cortege - Mike Westbrook (Audio CD)
I heard the band play this music in the early 80's at Warwick University and was completely bowled over by it. So, it was a pleasure to find that a recording was available. It did not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 21 Aug 2011
John C (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cortege - Mike Westbrook (Audio CD)
Was a punk at uni and had no time for jazz and a mate dragged me along to see The Cortege being performed. I was knocked off my feet as I though jazz was all trad stuff and had nothing to say to me. So nice getting a copy to enjoy again as it is a timeless piece that started me on a journey I am grateful for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Singularly unimpressed, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Cortege - Mike Westbrook (Audio CD)

Oh brother, how disappointed I was.

Two-and-a-quarter hours of modern jazz I can quite happily live with (as anyone who has looked at my music collection could tell you), but overly-theatrical, neo-operatic foreign-language droning and squalling just doesn't do it for me.

I can't fault the musicianship - in fact if this was an all-instrumental album I would give at least four stars, but the rating's knocked down to two because of the over-abundance of vocals.

I realise many people feel this is a classic of modern UK jazz, but I think I'll stick with "Marching Song".

The Cortege - Mike Westbrook
The Cortege - Mike Westbrook by Mike Westbrook (Audio CD - 2011)