5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific value for money and great fun to play
This keyboard is one of the best things I've ever bought ! And talk about value for money ... it certainly compares favourably with most other musical instruments, electric guitars and the like. Since it arrived, three months ago, it has been put to daily use by at least two of us and we are not even close to discovering all that it can do. I had looked at (and nearly...
Published on 23 May 2012 by Dolphin

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken already
Less than 12 months old and already had to go to the repairers. Not sure what its gonna cost but may be worth it as my daughter enjoys using it. Good when working.
Published 18 months ago by Neil Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but eats batteries., 24 April 2013
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
Super quality sound - excellent keyboard action. Mild gripe is I could not register at the website very easily - it was down - and the site does not have the promised sheet music that I can see.
The product more than makes up for this. It is a fairly serious looking piece of kit and not at all toy-like. It would have been helpful if they either supplied a mains adapter or put it on the same page as the advert for the keyboard. This thing loves to eat heavy duty batteries. I am guessing about 20 hours use per set of 8.
The auto play, songs, accompaniment, teaching aids are all of the quality you would expect - excellent. One minor gripe is that plugging headphones into the large jack at the back gives a very very poor sound quality - nothing like the wonderful rich sound from the speakers. I've tried several phones and all the same - so bad is the sound in the phones as to make it very unpleasant to practice with them. The good stuff outweighs this for me though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bit of kit, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
I`m a guitarist and have always fancied a keyboard to potter with. I bought this on Amazon`s daily deal for just over a £100, what a bargain.
It is superb instrument and being musical,and knowing what chords go with tunes, I was up and running in no time, and making a pretty good sound using the auto accompaniment feature, it is excellent. Give it a try I recommend it you will have great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars keyboard, 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
This keyboard was bought for my daughter who is doing grade 4 piano currently. She loves it and has used it a great deal. The sound quality is excellent and the wide range of additional sounds and options it has makes it fun to use. This makes piano practice more enjoyable for her and it never goes out of tune. The volume is loud enough, but not too loud, although it needs a large socket for headphones (iPod style headphone plugs don't fit). It comes with an AC adaptor and so is ready to go on arrival. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
I bought this keyboard in a shop today. I have to say it is one of the best keyboards you can get on the market at the moment. I'm no beginner but no where near a pro. I know basic things. It's learning function is fantastic. In 1 hour have learned a new song to play and it's so simple. A power adapter came in mine, I thought there wasn't one however it was hidden underneath the polystyrene that held the box in place. I have to say I am very impressed with it. Would HIGHLY recommend if you are looking to get your feet wet and learn a new instrument again like I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for teenage son, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
Great product. Easy to use, open and play, sounds great - especially with earphones (both ways, Links to sibelius composing software very well though needed to search how to link software (but took my son 5 mins).

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for me, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
I'm still getting used to a keyboard as have only used piano's before. I bought this for taking to rehearsals for an Am Dram show as I was MD. I think it's a great basic starter keyboard. For a show you would need more than 61 keys, but this is fine for rehearsals. Very light weight and easy to carry. Comes with power lead which is handy as don't have the worry of buying the wrong one. Great selection of sounds and backing tracks. Also the touch sensitive keys are essential for playing music emotively. The transpose function is easy to use and very handy for helping people match keys. Also the record setting allows you to record several songs and store them, so you can then play 2 part piano music by yourself, or do like I do and create a backing track for the rehearsal and then you can focus on what people are singing rather than following the music.

Overall I would rate this 5/5. It's a great little keyboard and a great price too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific value for money and great fun to play, 28 Jun. 2012
Dolphin (Stuck inside a cloud) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This keyboard is one of the best things I've ever bought ! And talk about value for money ... it certainly compares favourably with most other musical instruments, electric guitars and the like. Since it arrived, four months ago, it has been put to daily use by at least two of us and we are not even close to discovering all that it can do. I had looked at (and nearly bought) the Yamaha NP31 Portable Keyboard - Black and, if the intended user had been a child learning to play piano, it would have been a great choice. As it is, we are all adults with no previous experience and no expectations of becoming classical pianists, so we thought we might as well get something that would be more "fun" than just a piano. And fun it certainly is!

There are 497 voices - the vast majority are sampled instruments but some are actual sounds, like a clap of thunder, a dog's bark, a door slamming. My only complaint here is that the XG voices (Yamaha specific) are generally much lower in volume than the main instruments. EDIT: I have found a fix for this: if you turn off the "Touch" option, the voices are louder (how much depends on the voice). In any case, the "Touch" feature is only really applicable to the piano voices, so now I leave it off. Note that when you press the "Portable Grand" button, it automatically turns on the "Touch" feature.

The "Play with Style" function is really fun and it means anyone can sit down and mess around with the keyboard while a pre-selected accompaniment plays along. You can speed up or slow down the tempo, have a range of appropriate instruments or just the percussion ones to provide the beat and there are tons of pre-set styles to choose from. It's difficult to describe but really easy to do and it really feels like making music, even if you can't play a scale or name a note. The "Music Database" is a separate function but works generally along the same lines. Again there are hundreds of possibilities.

If you want to get serious learning to play (and this keyboard is really a self-teaching tool), there is a Chord Dictionary which will show you which keys to press to make a chord for each note you define. There are 102 built-in songs (and more you can buy) divided in progressive steps, which are really drills to teach you chords or progressions of notes. Even though the available songs are a bit cheesy and old-fashioned, I found that it's worth exploring the steps anyway as they are often arranged in surprising ways. For example, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" is available in Basic and Advanced versions. The Basic uses single keys, although in combinations requiring both right and left handed play, while the Advanced is really quite intricate and well beyond my current ability; however, the progressive steps are challenging but do-able and some are arranged in a jazzy style that makes the melody totally unrecognizable and a lot less cheesy.

You can record your own playing (up to five "songs" at a time) to the internal memory and even if you don't have the cables and equipment to convert your recordings to MIDI or whatever format a musician would require to manipulate the sound, it is still an excellent feature. Once you have a recording you are happy with, you can set the keyboard to "play" and record the sound using a microphone, the advantage being that you would be recording pure sound without the accidental clicks or noise made by hitting the keys with your nails, or whatever.

There is so much to this instrument that it's impossible to cover everything in a review like this, but I can say that the quality of sound is surprisingly good, it's a well-made, solid but light keyboard, it works right out of the box with the enclosed AC adaptor and is proving to be a daily addiction of the best kind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic keyboard but the music stand's a let down, 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
I would recommend reading Dolphin's review as it covers the product extremely well. I've owned mine for about 3 weeks and I love it! It has all the voices and styles I need, the user memory is great for recording left hand so I can concentrate on my timing for the right hand.

The one let down for me is the music stand it comes with. It's ok with large format books if I bend the spine back a bit although I've had them close up on me a couple of times, but I foolishly bought a half format book (i didn't notice it was half format when I ordered). This book has to be bent right back and is held in place by 2 precarious pegs heehee. You could just make sure you only buy large format books and it wouldn't be a problem though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
It arrived very quickly and was well packaged. The mains adapter was included. This was purchased to replace a smaller faulty old casio keyboard. The piano sound iv very impressive even with the internal speaker and having a simple single button to get back to it if you get lost in the myriad of options is really useful. i particularly like the screen which advises you of the notes being played. Perfect for a beginner and more advanced player alike, and an excellent space saver. We haven't tried all the options as yet as there are many but we are all impressed with the instrument so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars chuffed, 4 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Yamaha PSRE333 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
Really pleased with this keyboard and can't believe the price. Arrived very quickly and is full of features, including a nifty inbuilt teach yourself package and free online music. From a near beginner I've come on leaps and bounds in a month, and there are plenty more features I've not even started to mess about with yet. Family are making full use of it as well. Would definitely recommend with a great balance of features and price, especially for somebody of my level.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›