on 13 December 2013
I was somewhat surprised to find the CD itself was from Dell with the warning that is was for use in re-installing the OS only. Undeterred and in the hope that if things did go wrong I would get a refund I proceeded with the installation on a Brand new Corsair 240Gb SSD. Happily it installed without issue and so far a week later is still running ok. The only snag is it was not win 7 ultimate but just home premium 64 bit. Not being that bothered I have stuck with it as it will serve my needs.

I am annoyed that the Dell logo appears in various locations (EG properties and start up)

I had to activate over the phone which is a tedious task as on line activation was not possible.

however other than this its going OK. Fingers crossed.
66 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2013
Save your self from the nightmare that is windows 8, purchase this instead, plus doesn't cost the same as full retail. I had no problems with installing windows 7 ultimate on my computer, definitely worth the money.
on 7 February 2014
I needed Windows 7 64 bit and came across this. It arrived quickly and installed without any problems. It was a Dell CD. I eventually got the this is not a genuine windows error which was a little worrying at first. I contacted the seller who was very helpful. In the end all I had to do was give Miccrosoft a call (in the UK, press the button to speak to a human or you will be in a never ending loop!) they confimed that the copy was indeed genuine and after 5 mins on the phone activated the product. To top it all it has had the desired effect of improving speed and allowing me to run a photo editing suite in native 64 bit.
on 9 September 2013
for a new PC I was building up, I came to choose between windows 7 and windows 8.
Finally, given the fact that I don't need yet the new features of win 8 (as I don't have a touchscreen monitor), I opted for the older version and couldn't be happier.
on 16 December 2013
I hesitated at first since although I was using Amazon it just seem "iffy",
anyway I came within a week and was sealed nicely.
inside the box was a dell windows 7 ultimate CD and the installation was simple enough.
booted it and went to my computer, went to system properties.
it said i had 3 days to enter the licence key, I first tried over the internet.
Surprise, Surprise it didn't work - with all the past builds the licence key never worked over the internet.
So i used the automated phone call and got it to work.

So go for it people.
on 10 December 2013
This was a suprise as its not made 100% clear that its a DELL OEM. This does however load well and I had to use the phone activation to get it registered. But it is now running without any issues. Have to put up with the Dell Logo. Great prices for what you get compared to the full versions.
on 16 March 2014
The installation on my Mac (I had a similar Windows previously installed XP Pro - which worked perfectly) requires the installation disk to be in the primary slot (slot 1) if you have an older Mac Pro. Then it works via Boot camp.

My only disappointment was the rapid drop of price by the seller which went from GBP59.00 to GBP44.00 within a couple of days of purchase. Normally, I would have expected a refund of the difference as I could have returned the unopened item and returned for a refund, then bought the cheaper one. To see a price drop by 15% within two days of purchase is highly dissatisfying.

Windows 7 Ultimate per se runs very smoothly in 64 bit on my early 2008 Mac Pro with 12GB RAM (note it will NOT run on ANY earlier Mac Pro's), and would get 5* as it looks very, very nice indeed, but lost 1* due to the pricing issues.
on 16 March 2014
First CD was not reading, replacement came quickly and installed from USB (so copies the disk to that myself for speed).
Serial number worked first time over internet, no issues. Great product.
Update:
The online registration did not work, and after 30days I needed to remove the network cable to force a telephone install (option only appears if you have no internet connection) as despite updating the serial number it refused to activate online). Called the phone activation line and the serial unlocked fine, but heart in mouth moment as would have stopped working today if it had failed!
I would strongly recommend doing the phone activation the day you install the product to be sure of no future issues or scares.
Otherwise product works great, and very happy with everything. Thanks
on 3 April 2014
I had a number of Windows XP Virtual PC's that I used for various tasks where I needed to use windows software (I use Linux primarily). I was concerned about retaining these past the 8th April deadline when Microsoft support ends but, I couldn't justify spending a lot of money on a newer version of Windows when I don't use it very often at all.

Thanks to this supplier, I have been able to replace my Windows XP virtual computers with 1 Windows 7 machine that does everything that the other used to do, much more securely.

I had no problems with installing the system and found it activated online with no problem - I did not need to activate by phone, like some of the other customers.

Thanks very much. I would recommend to others.
on 23 July 2013
i chose to rate this because its good value and i installed it on my recent build as the operating system as well as a dual boot with linux and is a great combination and my computer runs fast and smooth excellent purchase