5.0 out of 5 stars Oem is enough for me
Seems most of the reviews here are for windows 7 in general, not this specific product. I was a little worried when ordering this version of windows, this negative review stating u need an extra 2gb download to install and the tag of 'for system builders only' almost put me off. But I took the plunge and picked this up for my new rig and had no problems whatsoever...
Published on 7 Dec 2010 by dadaddy

1.0 out of 5 stars ILLEGAL COPY OF SOFTWARE
I was expecting a licenced copy of the software and when it was installed I was asked for an additional 79 to register the license with Microsoft very disappointing. I was then unable to obtain a refund from returning the product.
Published 6 months ago by AG NIGHTINGALE

5.0 out of 5 stars Oem is enough for me, 7 Dec 2010

Things u should know:

You can't use this oem version of windows to upgrade from a previous version. It is for completely new builds only.

As it's an oem version you dont have any recourse with microsoft if u have problems, u have to take up any issues with the company that installed windows on your rig, I.e. You

You still get all your updates as normal

This version of windows is good for 1 pc only.

So if you have a brand new pc with a clean hdd this oem version of windows will be fine for you, and pretty cheap to boot.

4.0 out of 5 stars When is a sytem builder not a system builder?, 15 Nov 2011
Doctor Nelmes (Coventry, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (PC) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only) (DVD-ROM)
Try and make head or tail of Microsoft's policy shift on the definition of a system builder. It used to be effectively "a builder of a system" but it appears now to be, depending upon where you read on their huge corporate site something akin to " a builder of a system for sale onto a third party". So if you build a system for your own use then it could be construed that you are not a sytem builder! If so, then to install this software on a PC that you have built for your own use appears to be technically illegal, but if you sell the machine to a 3rd party then it isn't. So that's cleared up that! The packaging also states that the preinstallation OPK package needs to be downloaded before installing Windows 7. Having read other reviews elsewhere it appears that this is not necessary and was certainly my experience.

So, Windows 7 64-bit itself. There are so many reviews on the product itself, I won't add to the debate other than to say that when installed on an SSD drive, boot-up time from start to user account logon (including the system pause for BIOS entry option) is around 15-20 seconds. Following user account logon being entered, it takes around another 15 seconds to load and use. All in all, very pleased with Windows 7 and a vast improvemnt over Vista.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Home Premium review, 12 Feb 2012
Adam Henderson (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This product dose just what it says on the tin, can not believe I did not upgrade sooner,my original vista system was so slow compared with windows 7!!
It is very easy to install I would defiantly recommend this to anyone who is undecided,go for it you will have no regrets.
If you are doing a full install I would advise downloading windows easy transfer this really makes the job very simple make sure you gather your driver discs, eg. for printer, monitor etc.

I was unsure about buying the OEM version over the Full version, as you only get one installation per serial number. But if, like me, you don't intent to be upgrading your motherboard anytime soon, this is the option for you, and its about 50 cheaper than the Full version.

You can re-install it onto the same machine if you need to re-format for any reason, as long as no components have been changed. eg. CPU Motherboard etc.

I hope this helps if you sitting on the fence.

5.0 out of 5 stars W7 OEM, 10 Jan 2012
Bought this to run on a MacBook Pro already running MAC OSx. Installed Parallels 7 and then W7 without any problems. Runs fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Functions, 11 July 2011
No frills, no nonsense. This CD comes with a 'genuine copy of Windows' sticker for the PC you have built, and is a fully-functional copy of Windows 7 SP1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7: marvellous, 28 Oct 2009
G. Visser - See all my reviews
Just to counter the person who gave Windows 7 one star, merely because he got sent the wrong version. That obviously has nothing to do with the product itself. This is purely an issue the 'reviewer' should have#and probably already has#taken up with Amazon.

So, Windows 7 review: I have now installed full 64 bit versions on both a PC and a laptop. It starts up quickly and responds well. No more continuous 'running circles' like in Vista when one tries to open or copy a file, waiting for something to happen. It just works. It is stable and looks classy. I especcially like the new featueres, eg. the ability of quickly putting two windows side by side. Except for one item - I have had no problems installing any software - 32 or 64 bit. Windows 7 does not support my old Creative VF220 webcam and I cannot find any 64 bit drivers on Creative's website. Also the Intel chipset #ICH9# on my laptop was not recognized. The laptop worked though as Windows intalls a generic version. A quick check on Intels support pages gave me the right file to install. My Canon all in one printer runs smoothly on the 64 bit drivers from their website. Installed software like PS3 Media Server #32 bit# works perfectly, with a smooth & stable picture served to my TV via the PS3. Networking has given some problems in the fact that at the moment the children's laptops running XP can't print to the networked printer. I am sure that I'll get that to work with the help of the [...] I can fully recommend this upgrade. Windows 7 is 'a breath of fresh air' since Vista put a big dampener on how people experienced their computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7, 12 Jan 2010
E. T. Faber "enne" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Windows 7 is the best incarnation of windows to date. It's user friendly, quick and responsive, and in general has fewer problems than windows Vista. Also, it's prettier, but it can easily be made to look like Vista or XP for convenience. I love it.

Do you need the 64 bit (x64) version or the 32 bit (x86) version?
- If you have 3 GB of RAM, memory, the 32 bit version is fine.
- If you have 4 GB of RAM or more, you need 64 bit or your computer won't be able to use all of it.

Is Home Premium enough?
Yes. You can check out the extra's of the more expensive versions, but that stuff is for use in companies and offices.

1.0 out of 5 stars ILLEGAL COPY OF SOFTWARE, 21 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 is brilliant, 6 Nov 2009
Basically it looks good, it works brilliantly, its a lot faster and it's compatable with virtually every program and driver you can throw at it, even the really ancient ones.

I'm a windows 7 RC user. That means I've been testing windows 7 for 9 months prior to its release, whilst all the bugs where found by ordinary volunteers like me and ironed out by microsoft. But hey I only ever found 1 bug which was more an issue. I have 3 PC's at home, use 2 at work, I know XP and Vista inside out. Believe me Windows 7 blows them both away. Its easy to use, has lovely little touches that add to simplicity and look absolutely gorgeous. Its faster at starting up, closing down and opening programs. It has built in boosts to speed up just about every aspect of computer use. The only bug I found in the RC that windows are supposed to have fixed in the release version is it converted avi files to DVD too fast and reduced the quality. It looks great and every program I've chucked at it (I have 122 programs loaded on my windows 7 RC) it has managed without bugs or problems. It uses vista and XP drivers so your favourite programs should run with it fine, and when it comes accross a problem upon installing a program or driver it recommends you load the program again using its suggested optimum specs. If you do it works a treat. I have several programs that would not run on Vista, including an ancient printer that did not have vista drivers or support. They work perfect with windows 7

This is the best operating system I have ever used and I've been hardcore computing and gaming for 20 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful upgrade for older PC, saved buying a new one, 16 Aug 2012
My PC is a Quad Core Q6600 2.2GHz with 4Gb RAM, so five years old now, but still not poverty spec. It came with Vista 32-bit and while it was running OK on most things, it couldn't run the latest version of Photoshop, CS6. It would freeze and fail to zoom in ACR.

I tried a new graphics card, but that made no difference. I was about to order a new 1K PC, when I saw the OEM version of Windows 7 64-bit on Amazon. I thought I'd have a go at installing the new OS and see if it made any difference. If it didn't, I thought that at least it would make the machine more usable for handing on to my sister. I knew that I'd be able to address the full installed 4Gb RAM, and thought that I might get some other minor speed gains.

I was a bit worried about using an OEM version, but I needn't have, it installed quickly and easily, without any problems. The last time I installed a Windows OS was Windows 2000, and that was quite a faff. Installing Windows 7 couldn't have been easier, with nice simple GUIs to partition and format the drives etc. You no longer need to be a mega-geek to install! It was also much quicker than I expected to install.

I'm amazed at how much faster my machine is running now, it's like having a brand new PC! It seems that Vista 32 was only getting about half the performance from the hardware. It boots much faster, and start up doesn't freeze you out for minutes like it did in Vista. I use Win7 at work, and put the performance down to a newer spec machine. I knew that Vista was slow, but not that slow.

Anyway, CS6 ACR is now very usable, with only a hint of lag in some operations.

My Windows Experience scores before and after show the gain in performance across the board:

Vista-32

RAM 7.1
Graphics 6.7
Gaming 6.7
HDD 5.8

The RAM speed in particular is much faster. I can now add another 4Gb of RAM to feed the memory-hungry Photoshop!

In summary, 70 well spent to save having to fork out 1000 for a new PC.