5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read

Published on 11 Sep 2008 by Teresa

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 25 Aug 2008
T. Bradbery - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
If you are interest in Elizabeth I in any capacity, then this is the book for you. I stumbled across Alison Weir's book on Lady Jane Grey, and was transfixed, so was delighted when The Lady Elizabeth came out. The book takes you through Elizabeth's childhood, her teenage years, until the moment that she becomes queen. It is both fascinating and compelling and I would recommend it to anyone who has any interest in this period, but more importantly for bringing to life Elizabeth I's amazing and intriguing personality. A fantastic, higly recommended read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read!, 18 April 2008
Ms. A. Vaughan "Armaysha" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I loved Weir's first novel 'The innocent traitor' so much and I couldn't wait for her next. She didn't let me down, 'The lady Elizabeth' was a wonderful read. It details Elizabeth's life from early childhood all the way up to becoming queen. Weir makes the reader really feel for the situations Elizabeth encounters, from her curiousity about the mother she never knew, the key relationships with the women in her life, her tender love for her family, her time in the tower and under house arrest and her first love. Just some of the elements within this book.

I enjoyed the novel just as much as innocent traitor and couldn't put it down until I had finished. It focuses on her life before she reigned and what made her the queen she was. Not everything is included but it does highlight many points and ponders over theories which can't be proved or completely disproved. By doing this Weir allows us to look at Elizabeth in a less than perfect way, which makes her very likeable and appealing.

I would recommand this book to anyone. It's an interesting, heart warming, tearful, exciting and enjoyable read. The story of Elizabeth is an extremely well known one but Weir manages to tell it in a refreshing and entertaining manner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, not worth re-reading, 11 Sep 2008
Teresa "TJ" (Inverurie, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I read "Innocent Traitor" and adored it, from the entertaining, engaging story-telling to the passion and beauty of an old tale told anew, in such a fresh way. I waited for "The Lady Elizabeth" with hot anticipation but was very disappointed to find my enthusiasm cooled within the first few chapters. Although it's worth a read, especially if (like me) you are a die-hard fan of tudor fiction and/or Alison Weir's tremendous non-fiction works. But it feels rather two dimensional. Not a single character sprang to life from the pages as in her previous fiction book and I was left feeling rather indifferent to most of the hardship and suffering of the principal players. This book is simply a rather clinical telling of the story which left me feeling I would rather tuck into a non-fiction book if the author was going to avoid stirring up a single emotion whilst telling the tale. Interesting but not at all engaging.

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggled to remain interested by the end. Far too clunky, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Paperback)
First half of this book I was thoroughly into, until I realised I was half way through the book and the Lady Elizabeth was still only 14! I became perplexed and kept wanting the history to move forward, but Weir spends far too long detailing seemingly endless incarcerations and by last 70 pages I wasn't that bothered to read anymore. I agree with some other reviewers on the intelligence given to a 3 year old toddler. Everyone is aware of Elizabeth's intelligence, and it is well renowned in history, but the sharpness Weir credits a toddler to have is simply not feasible!! Disappointing by the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB NOVEL!!, 10 Mar 2012
Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
PURCHASED THROUGH AUDIBLE AN AMAZON COMPANY

Oh I loved this, Alison Weir does it again. Whether it's fact or fiction, as in this case, she writes equally well.

I chose this on audio download and wasn't disappointed, although I have to admit to being somewhat unsure whether to purchase on audio as I've heard another book narrated by Judith Boyd and didn't quite take to her. But in this novel she does a good job and I enjoyed it immensely.

Completely brings to life Elizabeth I, through childhood into adulthood to the time she becomes Queen. Portrays her in a compassionate light it evokes emotions, passion, suffering, such a difficult period in time to be alive, especially for a female. Fast paced, perhaps slows a little to the end, the characters come to life with an authentic feel to it. The religious aspect, as it often does, saddened me, the atrocities carried out in it's name, but was well played out in the novel, leaving me disliking Elizabeth's sister Mary nearly as much as I disliked her father Henry VIII!

If this had been the written book I would have described as a real page turner, certainly I couldn't wait for any spare minute to get my headphones on and listen, becoming complete engrossed and listening way into the night.

Very entertaining, a keeper, I highly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Historical Fiction Novel, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Paperback)
Historical fiction is one of my favourite genres and this book did not disappoint. This novel precedes Elizabeth's coronation and I found it in the most part to be historically accurate. In the edition of the book I have there is an interview with Weir where at the end she does shows the reader what parts of the story she has added in. I think these extra bits add to Elizabeth's character and bring the reader into the heart of Tudor England. The conversations between the characters are kept historically accurate and this adds a new level to the novel.

About three quarters of the way through the novel I did become a bit bored. There was a sense of doom in the last section that I felt dragged on. However overall this was a great read.

Alison Weir writes amazing historical fiction novel she knows the characters inside out and it is a pleasure to read anything she writes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable, 12 May 2008
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I was recommended this book by a friend who knew how much I loved stories about the Tudor times. I was not disappointed.
The story follows Queen Elizabeth throughout her early childhood all the way up to the day she became Queen. The story allows you to gain an understanding as to how Elizabeth's life really effected her actions as Queen. We learn about the curiosity that she had for her Mother, how much she loved and adored her Father, Sister and Brother. We learn how she felt when relationships between her and Mary broke down and what may have happened with the Admiral in her bedchamber. Weir ponders over situations that cannot be proved or disproved and she really made me think.
Although everyone knows the various stories and rumours surrounding Elizabeth, Weir still manages to capture your attention right the way through. A great read, only marginally beaten by Phillipa Gregory.

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read, 10 Jun 2008
Carly Askwith (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I enjoy historical novels and am a reader of all things tudor both fact and fiction. Whilst this was an entertaining read, I completely agree with the previous reviewer who stated Alison Weir's dialogue could be quite nauseating at times. She writes with a simplicity which does not reflect the period or subject matter. At times it is almost, "he said", "she said", which did annoy after a while.

In addition, I believe this period of time and particularly the story of Elizabeth is interesting enough without having to incorporate myth, legend and the supernatural as fact. The author herself states in her epilogue that she does not believe some of the things on which she has elaborated.

See Phillipa Gregory for a superior example of how to write Tudor history.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 29 May 2008
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I read 'Lady Elizabeth' recently and unlike all the other reviews here it left me cold. I must admit to not usually choosing to read historical novels and so have little to compare it to in terms of peer comparison.

Whilst the portrayal of Elizabeth as a teenager and feisty young woman was good, and showed well the intertangled web of relationships in which she was involved, Alison Weir's characterisation of the young Elizabeth, I feel, was somewhat clumsy. She seemed desperate to emphasise the childs precociousness and in doing so lost sense of her innocence (except where sexual matters were concerned) as a young girl.

Her writing throughout the book remained very literal, showing little fiction writing skill of using inference and deduction to intrigue the reader and let him or her draw their own conclusions by leaving clues through characters actions and speech.

Despite it being referred to in the authors note in the back of the book, the speech throughout the book veered from authentic Tudor phrasing to more modern variations, which often made for uncomfortable reading.

However, her true skill throughout the book lay in her conjuring up colourful and authentic historic images, which she did well, her 'history' cannot be doubted, although I would question her decision to include Anne Boleyn's ghost which had no place in the book and felt entirely incongruent with what she was trying to achieve.

A useful book in terms of bringing history to life but not one I would read for reading pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Kindle Edition)
Griped from first page to last , enjoyed the historical and the fictional elements of the story. Looking forward to reading other stories by Alison Weir long may she continue to write . Thank you

The Lady Elizabeth