5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!
I picked this up in the Mark Warner "library" in Abu Soma where some kind soul had donated it. I was unsure at first as I no longer enjoy horror stories but it turned out to be more of a "disturbing" than a "horror" nature - like Rebecca as the reviews on the cover suggest. I loved it, great characters, great story line and very well written.
Published on 26 April 2009 by A Friendly Face

2.0 out of 5 stars Great until the ending.....
Published 23 days ago by Saskia

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 26 April 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars A good first book from Lucie Whitehouse, 28 Jun 2009
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Paperback)
I didnt know what to expect when I chose this book, would it be mystery, romance or murder? It was all of those things combined.

What a great debut novel, a compelling read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and wasnt disappointed by the ending either.

The characters were well formed and the plot, although complicated didn't lose momentum. I will not spend time telling you what the story is about, the synopsis does that but what I will say is that it is a really good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Debut Novel, 20 Oct 2008
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this debut novel from Lucie Whitehouse. She is so descriptive in her writing and the scene is set right from the first chapter - with a little hint of 'Rebecca' in the first line and some wonderful scene setting - church candles, marble fireplaces and lots of rain,snow and stormy weather.

The story covers a year of weekend parties and is concentrated on a group of close friends. Their relationships are tested to the limit, by changes in circumstances, by falling in love, and by the house itself.

I found the story well-paced, quite tense and exciting and the build up to the ending was excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, and beautifully written, 15 Jan 2008
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Hardcover)
I started reading this book in the bath last night, I got out 3 hours later, freezing cold and looking like a prune, I just couldn't put it down!

Stoneborough looms at you through the pages from the start, pulling the characters inward to where the reader cannot help but follow. And there, at the heart of the book, is a gripping, psychological suspense which keeps the reader hooked until the very last page.

However, it isn't the plot which makes this book worthy of its 5 star rating. What really kept me in the water long after the bubbles had gone and the hot water had run out, was the beauty of Whitehouse's writing. It's not often that certain sentences of a novel linger in your mind for days afterwards, but this is exactly what happens with this one. The craftsmanship with which she expresses herself had me reaching back to the beginnings of certain paragraphs, just to experience the joy of reading them again, reciting the same few words repeatedly, committing them to memory so I could savour them once more when trapped on the tube perhaps, or in a boring meeting.

Read it and enjoy it for the wonderful first novel it is... I'll be waiting at the bookshop for her second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Paperback)
This is one of the best books that I have read so far in 2009. I had heard quite a lot about this book before I bought it, especially the comparisons to The Secret History and Rebecca. I believe that it is definitely worthy of those comparisons but in no way is Lucie Whitehouse trying to copy those books; her storytelling has very much a style of it's own.
Lucas inherits Stoneborough Manor from his Uncle, both of Lucas' parents are dead and he is haunted by the suicide of his uncle who had been a father-figure. However, Lucas decides to use Stoneborough as a place where he and his small group of friends can escape to from their busy lives in London. The group of friends is incredibly close and the relationships between them are all extremely intricate.
Lucas gradually becomes increasingly obsessed with Stoneborough and with the cine films that he finds of his Uncle and his friends in their heyday. The similarities to Lucas and his group are startling and the secrets they reveal come to have a bearing on all of them.
This book had me gripped from the very start, the suspense stays with you right until the last page. Even when events in the story take a positive turn you know that something must be waiting just round the corner. The house plays a pivotal role in the book; I love books set in large houses with their many secrets and memories hidden away in the attic just waiting to be discovered. This was a really excellent book, especially as it is Whitehouse's first novel, I hope she writes many more!

5.0 out of 5 stars English atmosphere under African stars, 27 Feb 2008
S. M. Darcy (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Hardcover)
I bought The House at Midnight at the airport on my way to spend two weeks working in one of the hottest parts of Africa. Normally such 'investments' stay in my backpack and come back home hardly started. Not so with this one ... a compelling read. Living high up in The Chilterns I might almost be able to see Stoneborough, and the author's descriptions of the area are satisfyingly authentic, leaving me to concentrate on the mis-matched characters that spend a year within the house's thrall. A book to add to the list of those to share with others. Great debut.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great until the ending....., 31 July 2014
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Kindle Edition)
I did like this book it was really well written and compelled me to read on to find out about all the characters and the settings etc it was great and all the tension and suspence was building up and it looked like there was to be a massive climax to it which involved all the characters and a big showdown as such but then literally in the last chapter a few things happened and it all ended and left it completely open! I couldnt believe it when i read the last chapter and expected more but turned over to the acknowledgements page! Its like the author wrote the whole book with time and thought and then wrote the last chapter in 30 seconds just to finish it! It completely ruined the whole book for me, i like a story to end with no 'what ifs' or 'what happened to them' etc but this one really annoyed me because the ending is so completely rubbish. I liked it til the end then was left really frustrated and wondered if there was maybe a sequel but nope there isnt! Guess we will never know if he survived or not!

4.0 out of 5 stars High Brow Scoobydoo, 28 Mar 2008
Lorry M (London, Enlgand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Hardcover)
I agree with the Scoobydoo reference - perfectly sums up this book. I enjoyed the book on the whole, mainly for the perceptive middle-class Putney-dweller descriptions and the twists and turns, but I found the fact that Whitehouse mixes classical and artistic references (not everyone would understand - I, for one, did not study classics) with pop-literature a la Dan Brown amusing - a bit like she is trying too hard to write an intelligent classic piece of literature by including these references but with a plot that, although enjoyable, doesnt quite cut it.

Still, I'd recommend it as an amusing, enjoyable and "cant wait to turn the page" read, just like I would recommend "The da Vinci Code".

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, thrilling, tremendous, tale of twisted treachery, 29 Nov 2011
Mrs. Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Paperback)
All the ingredients for a rip-roaring read are present. The seemingly bountiful inheritance of a remote country house; a group of bright young things bound together by their university experiences, wild partying and then encroaching madness, mortal danger.

The sick past of Stoneborough Manor seeps from its very walls. Paintings leer over the inhabitants, taunting them with secret meanings. Old cine films flutter dustily through the projector showing another, different house party group; scenes that that send icy fingers of dread and revelation into the present for Lucas, the heir - newly master of this glamorous treasure house. Sore with bereavement, addled with riches, he is preyed upon by Danny, who he thought was his friend but who turns out to be almost demonical in his power to hurt.

Joanna, his girl friend now, previously good friend, is in the middle. She can see more than she should and needs to save herself. What more could you require? Spine tingling, fast paced writing that whirrs away with a true pulse; a beat that is echoed by the soul of the house, a soul that refuses to give up...

4.0 out of 5 stars House at Midnight, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: The House at Midnight (Paperback)
A good read - quite spooky. The house has a hold over the visitors to it. The group of friends are reflected in the group of friends who stay at the house in a very spooky way. This is in a similar style to Barbara Erskine novels.

The House at Midnight