5.0 out of 5 stars Great find...
Published on 15 April 2011 by D. A. Stevenson

2.0 out of 5 stars Rent-a-programme
Published 22 months ago by B. Arthur

5.0 out of 5 stars Great find..., 15 April 2011
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
Montenegran guitarist Milos Karadaglic has selected some beautiful pieces for his debut album. Wisely, he's included some very well known works even though they've been recorded many times by other guitarists. However, he still manages to bring freshness to classics like 'Asturias' and 'Spanish Romance' (on the latter backed by some discreet orchestration) and also Tarrega favourites 'Recuerdos De La Alhambra', the gorgeous 'Lagrima' and the quirky 'Adelita' amongst others. The high point, though, is his rendition of Domeniconi's Turkish-inspired 'Koyunbaba' suite. It truly is a tour de force of technical mastery, beauty & musical imagery.
Milos's playing is crystal clear throughout, fluid and often very moving. The Telegraph claims that 'classical guitar has found a new hero..' On the strength of this debut Milos's success will be assured, and deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look, listen and be amazed, 15 April 2011
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
I first saw Milos at the Roundhouse iTunes Festival 2010 when he played the first half of a classical/crossover concert headlining his distinguished fellow DG recording artist Rolando Villazon (with the Simon Bolivar Soloists performing songs from 'Mexico').

I was enthralled by Milos's playing and repertoire. The four part Koyunbaba Suite, he explained, requires the retuning of his guitar. By the contemporary Italian composer Domeniconi, it uses very difficult techniques that make the instrument almost not sound like a guitar any more. Milos has said that when he performed it for the first time, people in the audience were crying. "I always feel like I'm in a trance when I play it." This was released on his iTunes EP and it stuns every person I have played it to. I could hardly wait for this his first CD with more of his repertoire. Many pieces are familiar to me, all the better to appreciate the tenderness and grace of his interpretation. Milos won the Royal Academy of Music's Julian Bream prize and the status of a professor and has won more than thirteen top prizes in various national and international competitions.

Milos Karadaglic has an engaging personality in concert and is 'the complete package'. The bonus DVD has a documentary 'Milos - A Journey' filmed on a winter return to his homeland of Montenegro. It shows his childhood appearances on local TV and the self-filmed audition pieces for the Royal Academy at age 16. The close ups of his playing technique in the six Music Clips are impressive and will inspire many. It is hard to believe, especially in the Presto from the Koyunbaba Suite, that there is only one instrument being played. Milos indeed shows us "the music in my heart". His surname, pronounced `ka- ra- dá- glich', means `Of Montenegro'.

I have bought guitar recordings over the years on vinyl and CDs by Julian Bream, John Williams and Paco de Lucia amongst others. Milos's brilliant award winning technique ensures that he will take his place beside the greats. He is my young guitar hero.

This album will be called 'Mediterraneo' on it's US release. Update- it seems that 'Mediterraneo' is 1 disc only but with an extra track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - guitar playing at its best, 27 April 2011
The Guitar

I just caught a glimpse on the TV, stopped and listened and was instantly mesmerised. I love classical guitar and have listened to the best, Segovia, Williams, Bream. But this is a young man of now! He will undoubtably capture the imagination of a host of young hopefuls. His playing and technical skills are superb. I sat my two grandchildren aged 11 and 8 in front of the TV on Monday and let them watch the 30 minute DVD that accompanies the CD. Both are keen on music, between them they play piano, violin and clarinet and they sat glued to the set and listened in awe. What was so nice about the DVD were the clips of Milos when he too was very young and so they could see what talent he had and how this has progressed into a 28 year old genius. Anyone with a love of music and guitar in particular cannot fail to be moved by this glorious playing. I am about to order more copies to give as gifts to those I love and care about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning!, 17 April 2011
Goran Krajnovic (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
Excellent first album by young and upcoming artist. The CD is composed of a great selection of pieces; all sounding absolutely stunning.
You have to watch bonus DVD to believe that some pieces can really be played with such quality on an acoustic guitar.
Asturias brings so much energy and precision, it is my absolute favourite.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rent-a-programme, 3 Nov 2012
B. Arthur "Brian" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
To be fair this young man has a very good technique and the perfomances are pleasant to listen to, but oh dear, there is nothing new here. The biography tries to place him in the august company of Segovia, Bream and Williams. He has not begun to earn his place among them. Those three guitarists greatly expanded the repertoire and inspired contemporary composers to write great new music for the guitar.

Milos gives us what critics used to call rent-a-programme; fine if you want only one CD of a collection of famous guitar pieces as background music, but not for the discerning listener. Indeeed the image; designer stubble, gelled hair and moody facial expression indicate the target x-factor demographic.

I have more musical recordings of every piece on the album from decades ago, mostly on viny as well as CD, by a variety of artists. This kind of offering depresses me. I find myself thinking, 'classical guitar is dead.' Fortunately there are many great new players around recording material old and new.

If you want a recording of very famous guitar pieces, with a few delightful surprises thrown in, try Richard Durrant's Recuerdos. It has mature and captivating interpretations of what Mr. Durrant has called his, 'Mum's favourite pieces.'

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an ok album, 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
I like Milos' personality and passion from what I have seen of him in interviews and I must say he is very nice looking indeed, which can't do Classical Guitar any harm. However there are better guitarists and better recordings out there, so I can't give it full marks i'm afraid. It is a nice recording in it's own right but it didn't blow me away like David Russell's last album did. I cried at the sheer virtuosity of it, whereas this was just nice.

As an introduction to guitar it is excellent as it doesn't dumb down too much at all and gives a good overview of what the guitar can do. So often people think that you have to play arrangements of popular music or really easy stuff to draw people in, which is sad. There are a couple on here that will involve learners and newcomers such as Adelita but they are mixed in with some more muso stuff so that's a fair compromise.

I think Milos will attract more people to Classical Guitar and in doing so I would like to see him use that position to release something that shows how amazing the instrument is. Maybe a Baroque album or something that shows music from the renaissance right through to contemporary. That would be nice and I'm sure he would like to do that. I wonder if the record companies would ever let that happen?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 21 April 2011
A. H. Ford "petiteamour" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
I first heard Milos play on the Andrew Marr show one Sunday morning and I trawled through the internet not knowing how to spell his name but eventually found him on Amazon. I am so glad I did. His music is as good as he is handsome :0) This CD gives a good cross section of very well known tunes and some beautiful, haunting pieces that are less well known. I'd say it's the sort of music you want to listen to when you want to relax either on your own or with someone you love. No matter what difficulties the day has brought me, his music never fails to soothe and make me calm.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely recording- a real find for guitar lovers, 30 May 2011
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
This is a lovely cd, beautifully played witih real sensitivity- people are saying he is the next Segovia/Williams and thaht might well be right. Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful guitarist, 2 May 2011
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
Milos plays beautifully some well known pieces with remarkable sensitivity and emotional depth. He has clarity of technique with a range of artistic expression which is a real delight to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery ..., 31 May 2011
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
I had tried to decide if his Sound was because of his guitar or maybe the recording techniques or what????

I first realised there was something mysterious when he was playing a piece I used to and I could feel a guitar against my chest & its vibration into me and my fingers on the strings. (But I gave away my guitar 15 yrs ago.)

I can feel each and every note & vibration within me as he plays. I have tried to think how this can be, when it has never happened before. Is it because all Segovia,Bream, Williams, Montoya, de Lucia, Ypes etc have mastered the guitar, its technique and its repertoire and play expertly. They play the music on the instrument and imprint their spirit on the result.

It feels to me that the music dwells within Milos and moves through him into his guitar and then into me. His technique seems as near faultless as I have heard, and might be described by some as 'masterful'. But for me, the music has mastered him. He and his guitar and the indwelling music meld in spirit and finally create something which is, for me, unbelievably more than a unique Sound.

The Guitar
The Guitar by Milos Karadaglic (Audio CD - 2011)