5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, great comfort if not slightly confusing
I'm writing this review on the same day i received the headphones, so I'll update it if anything changes.

First thing to say is there was a tiny discrepancy with the ad, but only in terms of colour (A black image was shown but the headphones that came are clear). However, I actually prefer the ones that came, so I can't complain.

Sound quality wise,...
Published on 5 Dec. 2011 by Cuznatch

2.0 out of 5 stars Shure SE215 cutting out
I took the plunge and upgraded to these from a similar, but much cheaper Shure model (SE102). I have been very disappointed.

First the good: when they're in, and stay in, the sound is great - powerful and neutral. They look solid, with a thick and long (too long?) cable. I bought the CL clear model, which is identical to the black in other respects...
Published on 24 Jan. 2012 by RichieT

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, great comfort if not slightly confusing, 5 Dec. 2011

Sound quality wise, these headphones are better than anything I've owned before - I'm not a massive audiphile, but I like relatively good quality sound, and I can already tell these far surpasseth any headphones I've owned before. Bass is clear, the hightones come across well on bass-heavy tracks and generally the sound is deep and well-rounded (If any of that makes sense). All clichés aside, there are genuinely parts of songs I can hear that I haven't heard before.

My biggest issue with headphones has ALWAYS been the cable. I use them regularly, and although I'm careful with my cables (Over-under coiling, not abusing them etc) they always die relatively quickly (Maybe I cycle too much with them, maybe I've just been buying bad quality headphones). That's why got these, the removeable cable sounded like a cheaper way of getting good quality headphones to last. However, I'm not sure I'll need to do this for a LONG time as the cable on these feels tough and looks solid enough, which may not be the most comfortable, but I'd rather they lasted than were comfortable. The plug end is thick and looks like it'd take a lot of abuse to break. But I'll update this if anything changes. I haven't tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, because I only want to do that when neccessary.

Now onto the first wear... This took me a while (I'm male, so naturally cast aside the instructions) as they're not the most immediately obvious things to put on (I wore them upside down for about 3 tracks before thinking there must be a better way). However, when I realised how to put them off, I realised just how good they were.

To put them on, you bascally have them in your ear, so the thicker bit of the cable goes upwards, then you bend that over your ear to act as an ear-hook. It then keeps this shape, so it's perfectly fitted to you. Initially I was a little frustrated with this, as I've always found ear-hook headphones uncomfortable. However, because it's just a little thicker than the cable, and you mould it to fit your own ear, you can barely feel the cable. This is also good, because as the ends of the earphones are rotatable (Due to the removeble cable), you can have the 'phone hooked over your ear, but not in it, which is good for me as I only ever cycle with one earphone in, but now I don't have to have the other dangling around my chest.

So that's basically everything covered aside from the accessories. In the box comes: 3 foam plugs and 3 rubber plugs. I've always preferred the foam plugs, as I find they give a tighter and more comfortable fit for clearer bass, but between the 6, I think 90% of people will find a plug comfortable for them.
There's also a small cleaning device for the inside of the 'phone funnel. I've never seen one of these before, but have often noticed my 'phones clogging up and the sound quality deteriorating, so this is brilliant for me, and it'll definitely be getting some use. Finally there's a little case, which is relatively sturdy and will be useful for avoiding cable knots (Though I think the kevlar reinforced cable will stop that enough), and also gives a little protection when 'phones are in the bag.

All in all, first impressions are that these are great, and for £70 in the Amazon sale (I didn't talk too much about price as I figure it changes) these are a steal. I would've been happy if I paid the £120 they were originally listed at. Make sure you read the instructions to work out how to get them on, and you'll definitely be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bes headphones I've owned, 16 Oct. 2011
D. Gallimore "jdcgeovani" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
These Shures are worth every penny spent. The clarity and bass is so brilliant, I have to go and relisten all my music in my iTunes library. I would recommend them to any one, well I have been.

I find the cable that came with it a bit excessively long though. They could have provided a hard case rather than a soft one, because I use the foam tips, after having them in the case I always find that they are then squish when I then come to use them and they don't expand back that fast in my ears.

Excellent product. Go buy, no hesitation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shure SE215 cutting out, 24 Jan. 2012

Now the bad: getting them to fit is a pain, and even once properly adjusted (you have to bend the last stiffer couple of inches of cable round your ears and choose the right tips) they easily fall out or simply move enough to ruin the sound isolation. I find myself constantly adjusting them when walking, let alone running. All this I could live with, but I am now attempting to return them after 3 months as the right side keeps cutting out. Shure have designed these with a cable that plugs into the earpieces, a very good idea in theory but not in practice. The slightest head movements cause the sound to completely cut out on the right side, which is completely unacceptable. Reviews on the web indicate this is not an uncommon problem with this model (e.g. on amazon.com).

As a fan of Shure's SM microphones I really wanted to like these...but no.

Update: I bought these via Amazon from DAQ, who Shure now tell me are unauthorised to sell their products and are refusing to honour the warranty.
Latest: Amazon have offered to take the earphones back for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought in Nov 2011, still using them 3 years later, 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Shure SE215 Dynamic Microdriver Earphones (Electronics)
The simple fact is I bought these earphones in November 2011 during Freshers and I am still using the same pair over 3 years later.

I started trying In-Ear earphones from around 13 years old. I went through 3-4 pairs of Creative ep-630s. 2 pairs of Creatives EP-830 and then after hearing about Shure through research I spent around £65 on these Shure SE215s.

If you're an audiophile, you need to consider these.
- They come with Foam/Rubber earbuds so finding a comfortable pair is easy.
- While it will take time to get used to the over the ear hold, they do not rub or cause pain when listening for long periods of time. Just read the instructions when using them for the first time.
- The 90 degree plug is solid and the entire cable is clearly standing up to a students rough and tumble lifestyle
-Potentially you can replace the cable or solely one or both earphones if they break
- I listen to a whole range of genres ranging from DnB, Orchestral, Piano, Rock, RnB etc and I always find that using these earphones brings out more detail to the songs you listen to compared to other speakers and cheaper earphones. They create a very warm sound with plenty of bass and frankly, I have met anyone at University with a better set.
- Friends who try these earphones on, even after I've hyped up how good these are, never want to give them back.

- As long as you're patient while the Shures get "run in" for a couple of hours, they will not let you down. Period.

You may look a bit of a twat with these solid "monitors" in your ears but at least you wont be able to hear anyone insulting you. These passively keep unwanted insults out

Ask any question x

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for a gym environment!!, 28 Jan. 2014
Stevie M. (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shure SE215 Dynamic Microdriver Earphones (Electronics)
I initially purchased a pair of these noise isolating earphones in early July 2013 on the recommendation of The Gadget Show and in fairness that feature does work pretty well, however I was using them c. five times a week in the gym and had to have them replaced after only three weeks due to a poor connection between the ear pieces and cable. I was advised to keep them as clean and dry as possible, which I have been doing and treated them regularly with WD40 to stop the points corroding. It is now late January 2014 and they have gone completely again!! I am now going to try and get a full refund as otherwise, once the warranty runs out, I will be left with a totally useless pair of earphones and at £90, they are far from cheap. If you are not using these in a gym, I would recommend them but avoid them at all cost if you are a regular gym user!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 July 2011
Jack Lee (Whitstable Kent, England) - See all my reviews
These in ear headphones are simply amazing. Bass is deep and thumpy, mids a crisp and clear, vocals are great and the treble is reproduced well. I use the foam tips, as they are more comfortable (I have small ear canals) and fit my ears very tightly and it makes the bass sound better than the silicone tips. I was using apple standard earphones before and I have realised how bad they really are. I would recommend these to anyone who loves their music, especially bassy music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 1 week!!!!, 19 Nov. 2012
I have been using these pair of headphones for about a week now and THEY ARE AMAZING, the sound quality is great for my music taste (folk, indie, metal, electronic, house, and some light dubstep) and the design is perfect for my ears. They fit comfortably (i wear glasses) and i never had any problems with their fit. But after a week of use the left ear bud started losing volume and within a day it completely malfunctioned. I was utterly dissapointed since i enjoyed the quality of the headphones so much. intially i thought it was the cable so i switched the cables around and discovered that the left earbud itself was broken. I have contacted shure and now i am waiting for their response.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous sound, 2 Oct. 2011
Got these because I wore out the Se210's earphones that I had! Bass is excellent when the phones are seated snugly. Cabling is slightly more flexible than the 210's which I like and the channel split in the cable is much lighter and less obtrusive which is a big improvement. The cable-over-ear system was new for me and has taken a little while to adjust to but it helps secure the plugs in the ear. The detachable/swivel cable/phone joint helps here. I have one ear with a little less room for the earphone housing than the other so this ear will ache a little after prolonged listening if I don't have the phone positioned just right. This aside these are a superb entry-level product for the money. I can only imagine how good the other models in the range are.

3.0 out of 5 stars The sound is good but the rest isn't, 21 Jun. 2012
I recently got me this pair of earphones after doing a lot of researching, in the end I decided to buy these instead of the (much!) more expensive Shure 425/535 and make an end to my everlasting quest to buy the best (for my eclectic taste). Overall I'm satisfied with them but there are a few non-negligible aspects which disturb me.

Sound Quality

First the main reason why we buy these: the sound quality. From an objective perspective, the sound quality is very good. Although these are very bass-centric, it can be a real advantage depending on what kind of music you listen to, and in what way YOU prefer to listen to it. As for myself, I listen to all kinds of genres that exist on our small planet, and for this reason I can never give a perfect score for this kind of earphones, due to the unbalanced reproduction of the sound.

I've tested these with a variety of genres, such as classical music (a few symphonies, piano and violin sonatas), (different kinds of) metal, techno & trance, some soft romantic music, rock and some general pop music. I've compared them against Sennheiser IE 80 and Phonak 112 earphones on a smartphone and a Cowon J3 player. After all this, I concluded the following: these earphones are a good combination with my (SE) smartphone, because they already produce a sufficient amount of bass in combination with decent mids and highs, without having to do some (mostly pointless) tweaking. Since smartphones, iPods and most mainstream MP3 players by default produce some kind of flat (maybe neutral is a better term) sound which is compatible with most genres and where the major part of the sound reproduction depends on the ear- or headphones you're using, these make a very good choice, because they won't sound too flat (like cheap or Phonak 1x2 earphones) where bass is needed and in the same way, they won't sound too bassy where a flatter bass with an emphasis on mids and highs. But keep in mind that this is just my opinion and the sound I THINK is acceptable to listen to on such "cheap" (read: hardware that cannot produce high quality sound that is approved by audiophiles) hardware. These are certainly a great choice for the music fanatic that can't or doesn't want to spend more on good equipment.

If you're an audiophile with hardware like a Cowon player, Sony Walkman or an ipod or something similar in combination with a good amplifier, these ears still make a good - sometimes even better - choice. Since I use a Cowon player with these ears, my conclusion is only based on my experience with this combination. As I said before, these are very bass-centric and while this probably will be very annoying in the beginning, hope is not entirely lost. The Jeteffect audio quality can be tweaked to a level where the bass doesn't overwhelm the other details. Even the built in equalizer settings are sufficient to mask away the bass. For example, some metal songs have too much bass with the equalizer set to metal (sometimes it sounds like the rest is coming from another room), but this was easily fixed by setting the equalizer to rock, which dimmed the bass enough to make the mids and highs clearer. This is the same for other genres, you just have to do it the Cowon way, i.e. tweak the sound settings for every genre until you found the perfect sound. For me, the built in presets were always and still are sufficient.

The Bad Side

Now the bad... These Shure earphones are built so that they stay firmly put inside your ear with the cable worn over your ear. The problem with this in my case is that the outer part of my left ear hurts when wearing the ears. Maybe this is because I'm not used to wearing Shures, but I didn't have this with my Sennheiser IE 8. There's a clear difference in size between these two, the body of Shure ears are a bit on the big side, not too big because they fit perfectly in my ear, but clearly my left ear has some problems with wearing these. As for the cable, the upper part is made of a harder substance which ensures that the form of the cable around your ear is remembered. I don't really like this a lot because they don't cover my ear entirely like the Sennheiser IE 80 does, so instead of being able to comfortably wear the cable loose, I have to tighten it in order to keep the cable in place. Both issues are small ones but here's the most annoying part: when walking or running while wearing these earphones I actually HEAR the shocking of my steps, this is probably because the earphones cover the mid part of my outer ear completely. If you're the type that hates cable noise, this doesn't even come near to it! Hearing the steps while listening to music is not only extremely annoying but it's also impossible to enjoy my music.

The good:

Sound quality for audiophile hardware 7/10
Sound quality for mainstream equipment 8/10
Good, strong & removable cable
A lot of bass for the kind of music that requires it
Tips & wax removal tool

The bad:

Not recommended for walking and running!!!
Over-ear can be a pain
Price of a new cable
Sometimes too much bass with masked mids and highs

Other recommendations:

Sennheiser IE 8(0)
If you want better mids and highs with less (but enough) & tweak-able bass. I don't know what the differences between IE 8 and IE 80 are, except for the aesthetic difference. If I remember correctly, before trying the Shure 215, the IE 8 bass made me react like: WOW! After trying the 215, the IE 80 made me react like: was this all the bass the IE 8 had to offer?

Phonak Audéo 112
If bass means to you "Bad And Stupid Sound". If you care more about mids and highs then these are a great choice. Note that if you don't have the hardware for it and you need some bass, these can sound very flat. If you have a Cowon, no need to worry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 20 Oct. 2011
these are by far the best earphones i've ever owned. Incredibly comfortable and great sound quality. Discrete, and easy to hold in position.

Shure SE215 Dynamic Microdriver Earphones