Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 19 November 2013
Ash is a Summoner. That is, if he can imagine something with enough intent, it will physically become present.
Not the most convenient of talents. Especially when as an inexperienced teenager it causes the death of 17 people. Since then he's been on his best behaviour, learning how to use his talent safely.
Then he is nearly skewered by a very angry unicorn. And blamed for un-authorised summoning. Adding run-ins with Oberon and his malicious side-kick Puck, and of course a lustful Titania, then problems with a new Summoner unaware of their powers. Couldn't get worse?
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Total escapism, very well written, a joy to read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 September 2012
The story is very good. A mix of modern and magic, and it works well.
You just have to ignore@ the random inclusion of" the odd; bit of punctua'tion. ""
This is not much of a criticism, as I have bought main stream mass market bestsellers with spelling errors, and in one case a book that, while it had all the pages, did not have the pages in the correct order.
I even bought a DVD that was a different title to that printed on the disk/the-box (from Tesco, not a pirate copy!)

I have since bought the next two. I can live with the odd! misplaced: charact'ers when the actual story is as good as this was.
on 26 May 2012
I enjoyed the concept behind the story but my enjoyment was marred by the appalling lack of editing and proofreading. Missing words; flagrant abuse of apostrophes; oddly-placed commas and other random punctuation. It's not as if there were one or two isolated incidents, the book is strewn with errors. That aside, it's intrigued me enough to purchase the next in the series as a bit of light-hearted reading for a long train journey. I probably won't bother with the third if there are as many errors in the second as the first; I won't have any teeth left to grind.
on 24 May 2011
I really enjoyed this: imaginative, clever, funny, violent and occasionally philosophical. The characters were lively, well written and interesting.

It was only let down by the poor proof reading - missing words here and there and the weird use of commas, which jarred and distracted.

However, I'm looking forward to the next one, which can't arrive soon enough for me.
on 6 February 2012
This is an excellent opening novel in the burgeoning urban fantasy Genre. Do not be put off by the cover art or the self published label - this is every bit as good and many of the others in the field and well worth reading.

David Ash is a Summoner , a magician if you will , able to access the mythic subconcious of humankind and summon the things therein into the world. He is a heavily supervised member of the Hidden academy- a group whose lineage goes back to ancient greece dedicated to preventing magic and preserving a rational , non mythic universe. Its the job of every summoner to stop the creatures of magic overrunning the world, so when he is attacked by a maddened unicorn he has to assume the academy isnt pulling its weight.
He isnt trusted by the academy as his own past is one of mistakes and a terrible summoning gone wrong. The academy needs to shut down the summoner responsible and Ash is the obvious culprit in the eyes of his peers. Can he find the real culprit before he is either skewered on a unicorn horn, kidnapped by Titania, maimed by Oberon or just quietly murdered by the Academy.

Drawing heavily on Shakespeares - 'A midsummers night dream' this is a fabulous blend of fantastical english mythology and bleak modern urban life. The juxtaposition between the two is made no more evident than in Ash's own personal guardian angel, an elf addicted to british pubs and reruns of Jeremy kyle.

Funny, gritty, and action packed. A well crafted read that shames many mainstream novels in the same genre. Its an absolute steal for anyone with a kindle.
on 5 June 2011
I really enjoyed this book, particularly at the bargain price. Like some other reviewers I did think that it was a bit like a Harry Dresden character, but with a distinctly British twist - and that's not a bad thing! The Unicorn Crisis is well written with a full rounded mythology and some characters I am definitely looking forward to getting to know. It is refreshing to read this type of fantasy set in a British context and I will be (im)patiently waiting for the next installment.
on 10 December 2013
I love finding new series', this one is no exception. It has an appealing hero with a dark past, amusing side kicks, interaction with a pantheon of Gods and a great plot. I originally bought it having read some of the reviews comparing it with Bill Dresden. While I agree, there are similarities, the Dresden files are in a league of thier own. Having said that, there is clearly potential for this to grow. It was hard to put down and once I had finished I bought the next one.
on 28 February 2011
I loved this book despite fantasy not being to my usual taste. Whilst it is clear that Jon Rosenberg has a thorough knowledge of Shakespeare and the Classics, he never lets this erudition get in the way of what is essentially a funny, clever and exciting adventure. David Ash, his hero, is a normal sort of guy except for the fact that he is a Summoner and able to access beings from other worlds and other imaginations. His problems begin with rogue Unicorn and multiply and become more complicated as the story continues. I loved his descriptions and found at times the lyricism of his writing quite enchanting. In this modern fantasy the writer sheds a different light on previously accepted norms, i.e. Unicorns bad, Titania, a sexy slut, Oberon, a power hungry meglomaniac, elves, soap opera afficianados, etc, etc.
This novel is set in the Midlands and the locations will be well known to people from that area but I'm it will appeal to anyone who wants a funny, fantasical, and rollicking adventure. I'm really looking forward to the next in what is obviously going to be a series.
on 3 July 2012
I've read all three of these books and enjoyed them tremendously. Particularly considering the low price I think they're a great buy for anyone that enjoys contemporary fantasy. I came to them having 'done' Harry Dresden and Alex Verus so I was concerned I might be getting a bit tired with the 'troubled-wizard-with-a-dark-past' genre, but I found these fresh and interesting. It's nice to see a strong female character (Jenny) in a book of this type; so often they are, at best, reduced to weak apprentices and at worst mere bit parts and love-interests. It was also nice to see a non-human character (Llewellyn) properly developed right from the start with an interesting backstory. The magic system is interesting and original too, consisting of summoning with no ability to affect items already in existence other than by summoning other items that affect them. I also rather like the fact that although David Ash does have the archetypal troubled past, he is none the less right from the start working for the Academy rather than acting as some kind of renegade. There's a decent amount of mystery in the plot of The Unicorn Crisis that will keep you guessing. Well worth downloading.
1010 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2011
I don't think that there's a huge amount I can say that hasn't already been mentioned by other reviewers; the book truly is one of the finest I've kindled this year. I should perhaps mention that the typos and proofreading mishaps mentioned by other reviewers seem to have been sorted out by and large. i found no more than 4 or 5 minor ones in the whole text. Now I'm in to the next book and just hoping that Mr Rosenberg continues with this writing malarky.