5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and useful
This is a well-researched and practical guide to help you solve any debt problems that you may have. Although the book has been written in the UK, the pricipals apply to where ever you are in the world and the author does include some indication of the sums in dollars or euros.

Published on 1 Jun 2011 by Kew

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information
Published on 15 Nov 2011 by Coral Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and useful, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Back to the Black: How to become debt-free and stay that way (Telling Experience Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The author is able to write at first hand experience about this problem as he was himself in debt some years ago, so he fully understands the stress and difficulties involved. In fact, some of the first advice in the book deals with how to deal with that stress before you start to tackle the issues of what to do about the debts. He offers a number of options to help you decide what course to take - eg. to go bankrupt or not to go bankrupt, or how to negotiate a deal for yourself. He includes a number of case studies to help illustrate the situations and sums up each chapter with a brief resume of the points covered. At the end of the book he has provided a list of useful resources that people may wish to call on for help - government bodies, websites, organisations and charities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and heartfelt!, 29 Feb 2012
This book is written using the very useful resource of first hand experience which makes it very poignant and useful. The three approaches to escaping the downward spiral of the effects of debt are practical and easy to follow. It is written with humour and gives the reader the comfort that they are not alone in experiencing the misery that financial problems can bring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging advice, 12 May 2011
This book details the author's personal experience of managing escalating debt. Whilst telling his personal story he has woven a plan of action for those finding themselves in similar situations. A lot of excellent advice to avoid the pitfalls whilst in negotiation with creditors along with reference to self esteem and handling stress. Well worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, 15 Nov 2011
In this day with the economic situation still putting people on edge, this book gives a lot of information. The sections cover causes, approaches, and even how to reduce stress caused by debt. It is not a hopeless situation as you learn to face the facts of current situation and then three plans on how to deal with it. It even has a last section on how to stay out of debt and resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am getting out of debt through following the steps in this book..., 15 July 2014
Fritzy "Fritzy" (UK) - See all my reviews
When I bought Michael's book I was over 6,500 in debt - purely and simply because I had been living beyond my means. By following the advice in this book I have slowly but surely paid down my debt which is now around 2,000. If I had done nothing about it and continued to spend like there was no tomorrow, I am certain I would be more than 8,000 in debt by now, or maybe even more, as it just kept creeping up when I wasn't paying attention.

Michael's advice is straighforward and many lightbulbs went on in my head when I read his no nonsense approach to disposable income. After years of having my head in the sand, I sat down, took a look at my finances and really thought about my outgoings. Where could I cut down? By thinking carefully about how I choose to spend my money and being mindful of where it all goes, I am moving closer to being in the black. This is definitely due to buying Michael's book and following his advice.

I am going to work my way through the book again soon, as I really want to be debt free by December 2015 (big birthday coming up). I know I can do it and can already imagine how good it will feel. I would defnitely recommend this book, it is full of practical advice. You might think 6,500 is a large debt, you may think it is a small debt. Either way, if you are wondering how on earth to halt the downward spiral, the steps Michael outlines could really help you. It's working for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, authoritative, kindly and humane advice from one who's recovered from debt, 4 May 2014
Debbie Young "Debbie Young" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
Thankfully, I didn't read this book because I'm hugely in debt, but if I were, it would be an invaluable resource to help me recover.

I think it's a good idea for everyone to read books like this now and again, to nip bad financial management habits in the bud, and to realise how easy it is to slip into deep debt. I'd put the advice in this book on a par with the wonderful Alvin Hall's books and broadcasts on personal financial management, but with a more British angle and with the added advantage of being written from the perspective of someone who has himself been to the edge of bankruptcy and back.

Michael J MacMahon wrote his book after recovering from a disastrous financial position years ago. He has clearly done an enormous amount of research on the solutions. What makes his advice especially digestible is that it's very personal and humane. MacMahon does his best to abolish the shame that one might feel if near bankrupt. He offers fellow-feeling and empathy rather than admonition and punishment.

In between dispensing serious guidance on recovery from debt, he shares numerous case studies demonstrating how easy it is to get into debt, with many of these examples showing that it's not necessarily the debtor's fault. This attitude deflects the focus from the reader's feelings of shame and guilt, and clears the way for them to get on with the important process of recovery. He also adds lots of entertaining and memorable quotes from people in all walks of life about the value and role of money, adding some welcome comic relief and wry humour.

Another benefit of this book is that it isn't a one-size-fits-all prescription. Instead the author presents three different broad plans of action and helps the reader to decide which one suits their own personality. He also shares many details of his own recovery and talks about what suited him, without insisting that it's the only way.

This is a deeply practical book, including lots of useful contact details plus templates for letters to be used at different stages of the recovery process.

The author has clearly remained in sound financial shape and retained the good habits that he had to learn the hard way. That he is apparently happier and more fulfilled in his current state may be taken as proof of the wisdom and genuineness of his advice.

For such a thorough, personal and practical book, I reckon this is excellent value. No matter what your level of debt is, I'd recommend it as a justifiable investment in your recovery. If you're in debt, it's likely to become your bible to help you get Back to the Black - and if you're not in debt,read it all the same, to help you stay there!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't learn anything, 12 Jan 2014
Like most of the population, I wanted to find out if there was anything more I could do to help myself survive in this financial climate. I already do most of the things Mike Macmahon advises. So it didn't help me. I'm afraid what I need is a better paid job and I would break even.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful handbook for living within your means., 17 Feb 2013
This is a been there, done that, got the T shirt book. In other words its written by someone who knows the issues and learned to deal with them. Worth the small change it costs to put it in your library and read it in a spare moment when you cannot afford to go down the Pub.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that could just save your sanity, 19 Dec 2012
With the present economic situation, all too many people are finding their finances are falling apart. What is important is not to to keep pretending its not happening. This is the book to help you face up to reality and start your journey back to financial stability. It is full of practical ideas, information, options and tools that will help you. Amongst these tools are appendices that contain helpful guides as to how to write to your creditors.

Let's hope you never need the advice in this book. However, whether you're already there or not, it is well worth while gaining the knowledge to be found here to help you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Practical, 18 Dec 2012
This is a great book, well-written and enjoyable to read. Full of practical ways to get yourself out of debt - and then stay in the black. I loved the case studies - helps to know that people have managed to deal with worse situations! The author urges us to get clear about where we are financially, and to start doing something about it. There is a comprehensive resource section at the back, and the sample letters at the back was a nice surprise - so often we don't tackle problems because we don't know where to start, having these templates makes it much easier. If you have issues with debt, get this book and sort it out now.