5.0 out of 5 stars Rebecca You Stir My Soul
Published on 11 Dec 2011 by aspirant

3.0 out of 5 stars Good first effort
For those who were fans of Rebecca during the X Factor, this album will hold little surprises. Personally, I would have preferred her to continue her theme of more Jazzy, soulful songs. That said, there are some good tracks here, and her voice still has all the potential seen on TV. Perhaps when she finds her niche, we can expect covers of older songs, or a trip to the...
Published on 5 July 2012 by Mr. P. Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebecca You Stir My Soul, 11 Dec 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I am stunned that this voice and this talent has been rejected for so long that she 'resorted' to x factor multiple times. Thank goodness she had the determination to never give up. She is distinct. Sincere. Beautiful to boot and that comes across in her wonderful deeply soulful/jazzy music. I defy anybody not to be moved by Shoulder to Shoulder which almost had me in tears before it was halfway through the very first time I heard it. The whole environment created by this track is astonishing! It's almost like a hollywood movie on it's own. This is my favourite song on the album. Rebecca is timeless and if she gets the right guidance her music will surpass her. I cannot get enough of her and I just cannot wait to hear her new material. I am so so Happy for you Rebecca Ferguson. You are right up there with the talents of modern greats (Amy Winehouse, Adele) and classic greats, Aretha Franklin. Signed a fawning lifelong fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Much awaited album, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I loved Rebecca Ferguson on the X factor. Glad she didnt win as i think she would have been restricted and robbed of the scope to be herself and sing the kind of songs that suit her wonderful voice. I haven't enjoyed an album so much for a long time. Not a single song that I do not like. Hope she produces more albums and even do a concert I would certainly go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best new female voice in a long time !!, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
After seeing this singer on the X factor (which she should have won by far),I have waited ages to hear her gorgeous voice again. Now atlast an album is released. Gorgeous songs, a brilliant debut album. Rebeccas voice is in a league of it's own, it's unique and instantly recognizable, unlike lots of other artistes of today that can sound all the same.Buy this album, you won't be disappointed. Every song is enjoyable. I for one hope she goes far and doesn't simply sink into oblivion like so many others. Very good luck to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 9 Dec 2011
D. R. Scott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
We have waited for this album knowing Rebecca could sing, but did we know she could write...No! well she can !.I love this album I love Rebecca .And this is just the start ..bring it on girl....!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Heaven (MP3 Download)
I can't get enough of this album. It's good when you first hear it and just keeps growing on you. It's emotional, boppy, soulful, thoughtful, hopeful, real. It makes you smile! Listening to this with headphones and I still get goosebumps occasionally. Something I rarely get with new albums, and I've not had once in the 2011 live X-factor series :-( It's somewhere between Norah Jones and Duffy with a bit of 60s thrown in - it's Rebecca Ferguson I guess! Her personality absolutely shines through the whole album. I love it, it's a grown-up album, but I also love the fact that my 6 & 9 year old daughters choose to play it already too. Can't wait till the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears of Joy, 10 Dec 2011
iGlad "iGlad" (Manchester, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I am going to start off this review with a confession Rebecca' Ferguson's new debut album made me cry and I'm not making that up as about halfway through it tears of joy at how good it was were rolling down my cheeks. I now believe in god as l was on my knees in front of the TV last year praying for her to not win XF as I knew they throw out an album of rubbish and if you've heard her sing the crap that was Distant Dreamer I'd have run for the hills (poor Matt Cardle).

Anyway I've been listening to the album all week in the car in the house in the gym on my iPhone almost everywhere and it's simply remarkable as it displays a maturity and direction way beyond her years. I have been waiting for this album all year and boy was it worth the wait I'm not sure my vocabulary can describe it fully so how about beautiful stunning well crafted creative top drawer perfection and I've been buying music for over 30 years or more. This is a SOUL album that will warm the heart of even a tatted up black metal fan.

There are no bad tracks on this album no fillers to spoil it and I'd love to have listened to the tracks she left out. My favourite track is without a doubt 'Shoulder to Shoulder' when I bought the piano acoustic version from iTunes it sent a shudder down my spine as the words were so powerful and the intensity of her singing had me connecting with her immediately. That's what I mean when I say 'I get Rebecca' it's because she connects with the listener in a special way like Dionne Warwick and Aretha used to do in the 60' & 70's. Also she co-wrote all the songs and therefore they are all personal to her which I can feel when listening to the album.

Mr Bright Eyes - is pure magic love the production from those Xenomania guys. It's a great song nice and boppy and I can feel a reggae remix coming along quite soon no doubt it brings to mind sand sea sunny days and it makes you smile it's one I have on repeat.

Nothing's real but Love - I wasn't wowed by this on first hearing but it has grown on me and the lyrics are just class as I can see this being covered by some big names in the future. No money no house no car no job will hit home with a those who have been hit hard by the recession especially those of us in the north of England. Rebecca manges to pour her heart and soul into it and you just know she's lived it as it can't have been easy bringing up two little kiddies. "Maybe the man in charge don't like my face" There's some studio video versions of this which I prefer check them out on Vevo or YouTube.

Fairytale - has that 60's big soul sound drums and horns leading it but it's Rebecca's who's in charge and I love her voice as well as the backing vocals have me singing along it's got a groove that should be down as a single sometime in the future.

Glitter and Gold -this lady isn't daft she's not dazzled by the bright lights and the lyrics tell us that she's keeping her feet on the ground similar in some ways to Fairytale but she does have a growl in her voice which I love. The voice

Fighting Suspicions - lulls you into a false sense of security how many of us expected a billie holiday type jazz ballad and then it's kicks in with a nice club groove people say this reminds them of a bond movie but I just can't hear it. She knows how to get us grooving and I can't wait to hear this is concert when I see her in February next year.

Teach me how to be loved - I think this gave me a lump in my throat when I first heard it on the album but after blubbering over Shoulder to Shoulder I held back the tears. It's an incredible song and it really does showcase Rebecca's vocals and all I know is that she never sounded this good on XF. I think this might be a single release in the future another one that sends tingles down my spine.

Run Free - Listening to this I find it hard to believe its being sung by a 24yr old mum of two kids from Liverpool who made the XF final last year. I knew she was good but she's moved to another completely diffent level since then. it's another grooves that should get you dancing around the kitchen or wherever you hear it. I have visions of people in queues around the UK tapping their feet to it.

Diamond to a Stone - It's big bold and brassy intro gets you in the right frame of mind as she hits the ground running with a nice midtempo track which gets me feeling good all over. I just love how she sings Diamond to a stone right at the end sheer class!

Too Good To Love - probably the only real club track on the album but I love it "you're too good to lose" love that being repeated and the handclaps another groover.

It's very rare that l hear a perfect album and the only ones that spring to mind for me are Earth Wind and Fire's 'ALL in ALL' and Miles Davis 'A Kind of Blue' I can now add Rebecca Ferguson's 'Heaven' yes it's a perfect debut album but then she's a very special voice who can write sings and knows what she wants no with that I wish her well for the future as l know she's gonna make the Americans fall in love with her just like we have here!

This is kind of rushed so I might amend it in a week or two but yes it's a 5 star album and it's my album of the year easily. if she doesn't win a Brit/mobo/mercury award then the man in charge really don't like her face!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gorgeous., 5 Dec 2011
L. Craven "Leila" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Only on first listening and already love it; that doesn't happen often with me. If you liked her voice on X Factor this is just a different league as she's singing her own stuff. Think it'll be a classic in a couple of years. She is one of ou best female singers at the moment. Only Adele can touch her. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Although Rebecca Ferguson was far and away the best talent on last years X Factor - and she should of won. But..........thankfully she didn't, otherwise Simon Cowell would have got his hooks into her and we wouldn't have had this fantastic debut.

Its been a long time coming, but well worth the wait. Credit to her for taking the decision to co-write her songs - it would have been so easy to sing others' songs, or do covers. Am so glad she didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
It's only taken 8/9 series, but X Factor has produced some talent.
Yaaay!
This album is pretty wonderful.
I feel like I have to start with the most interesting song first - Fighting Suspicions.
I wrote down everything I liked about while it was playing and it is the biggest mish mash of styles I've ever heard in one song. But it works. Right, so it starts all jazz/film noir-esque with the bass and piano etc, and you can actually pretty much picture a smoky Manhattan speakeasy. But then this 90s r'n'b beat kicks in along with some James Bond strings, which shouldn't work after the intro, but does. The first proper verse sounds a lot like The Fugee's version of Killing Me Softly, which I don't know was intentional. Oh yeah, then the bridge verges on reggae, which is BIZARRE (but again, sounds fine). The chorus is total James Bond with the swooping strings and stuff. From there it just kinda blends together and sounds really cool, even if it features the most awkward 'putting-it-in-because-it-rhymes-and-makes-sense-contextually lyric of 'Fighting suspicions, ladies intuitions.' Ehhhh. I've got no problem with the first bit, but the 'ladies intuitions' is so awkward I physically cringe every time I hear it. But other than that, fantastic song!
The rest of the album is good too, I'll get to that now, I just couldn't stop writing about that song.
Okay so Nothing's Real But Love is good on the album, but I kinda feel it loses a certain something as opposed to the acoustic version I heard a while ago, which pretty much blew me away. Great track, though.
Glitter and Gold is total Adele, isn't it? I really like it, but I can see why people would make the comparison. Kinda seems more a warning to herself than someone else though, as I've read by another reviewer. She's also getting her sass on and that's never a bad thing.
Shoulder to Shoulder is maybe my favourite song on here. One of those songs about a failing relationship that everyone can relate to without it ever feeling cliched. It's just beautiful, but again, I prefer the acoustic version I've heard before. Also, towards the end she does a weird growl thing that sounds completely out of place. Again, I love this song but it's just a couple of things in this studio version that are like '...really, though?'.
Fairytale is a cool little song. Not a standout, but really catchy and upbeat and whatever. I like it.
Mr Bright Eyes is really bop-along-to-able. It reminds me of... something I can't put my finger on. It's definitely something 90s-ish, but I'm not sure.
Also, I like that while this album does do its fair share of raiding the 60s a la every young popstress over the last five or six years, it throws in some 90s grooooooves (I realised I couldn't get away with 'grooves' in the first place, so just went all out on it, cause why not, eh?) and some smoky-jazz touches. Love love love. Also also, Rebecca's voice totally lends itself to the 60s thing, doesn't it? Yep.
Teach Me How to be Loved I like. It's intentionally simple, but I don't think the melody's quite interesting enough for it to be that simple. Nice enough track, though, and of course, R-Fergz sells the hell out of it.
Run Free is like a track from the album she could have made if she went another way, like when she did that version of Sweet Dreams on the X Factor (which was pretty amazeballs). It's good and she can pull off dance diva in her bloody sleep, but it feels out of place on this album.
Diamond to Stone is some honest to goodness smooth soul. I'd prefer it if it were a bit jazzier I think. It's a bit... I don't want to say 'bland', because it's not, but I feel like it could have benefited from some more time spent on it. It's pleasant enough, though.
Too Good to Lose closes the album and kind of sounds like a Take That song to begin with with the piano. Am I alone in thinking that? Probably. But anyway, it moves on past that and again adds some 90s beats and is a good one to end on, I think. It's all upbeat and stuff and is also probably the most modern sounding song on here, but kind of in a Amy Winehouse on 'Frank' way, where it's modern but has some more old-school sensibilities to it.
So overall, if you're still with me, this is really impressive, especially as a first album written and recorded in less than a year.
I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut, worth the wait., 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: Heaven (MP3 Download)
Having been immensely impressed with Rebecca Fergusson on the X Factor, the only problem was the delay in the album coming out. The anticipation was worth it. No covers, all original material either written or co-written by Fergusson and not a weak track on the album. This is an excellent debut for a characterful, interesting voice that has seemed to develop more maturity and power in the last 12 months.

Heaven
Heaven by Rebecca Ferguson (Audio CD - 2011)