on 3 May 2011
THE MERCURY PRIZE "The set goes deeper than its widely praised successor 'Kairos Moment', with greater space given to individual solos and the band... sounding ever more dynamic in their musical dialogue."
* * * * MOJO MAGAZINE "...this superb group are terrific players inspired by thoughtful compositions. Waldmann's themes have a strength and clarity, underlined by his own calm, understated delivery"
* * * *JAZZWISE MAGAZINE "A formidable yet flexible unit, Kairos 4tet make free flowing contemporary music that packs melody, rhythm and high flying improv into a tightly wound whole. Hence you're as likely to leave whistling one of their many refreshing tunes as you are to be impressed by the group's compelling interplay and imaginative solo skills."
METRO "Waldmann's troupe have resisted the zeitgeist to make music that is resolutely acoustic and unapologetically lyrical....Waldmann has a melodic gift as a writer and considerable grace as an improviser"
AllAboutJazz"....full of energy, inventiveness and melody, demonstrating a maturing musical sensibility, and placing the band fairly and squarely in the top flight of the UK jazz scene....Statement Of Intent is exceptional."
* * * * THE IRISH TIMES "...a superb group whose increased solo strength continues to be reinforced by intensely focused interplay... remains fresh and, for all its contemporary feel, accessible."
* * * * MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS "Adam Waldman is one of the most distinctive saxophonists in the UK...The Kairos Statement impresses with its sure sense of artistic purpose"
* * * * Time Out "Statement of Intent melds lush classical-ish harmonies with adrenalised improv, shimmering beats and purposeful grooves to bewitching effect...This is smart music that isn't trying to impress but does simply by its sheer quality, enticing you into the warmth of Waldmann's world"
LONDONJAZZ BLOG "For listeners who enjoyed `Kairos Moment', getting hold of a copy of this fine follow-up album should be a no-brainer. For those who missed that release, `Statement of Intent' provides an opportunity to catch up with a rapidly maturing group who have something exciting and original to say."
YORKSHIRE PRESS "A classy and intelligent work, Statement Of Intent is an accessible slice of modern British jazz and will go straight into albums of the year lists.
THE JAZZ MANN " ****Their keenly awaited follow up retains the group's core qualities whilst at the same time expanding their musical and political horizons... it succeeds brilliantly.
musicOMH "**** The whole band plays with energy, confidence and authority - but also in a streamlined manner free from superfluous clutter. The overall group sound is both disciplined and flexible."
on 2 September 2012
This is one of the best British bands of any genre and they deserve all the credit for their original compositions
Adam Waldman,the sax leader and main writer is composing on a level higher than anyone in the UK right now,Kit Downes excepted.
These are finely honed pieces played with both love and zest and I highly recommend this work to any true jazz lover or indeed lover of fine music,be it classical,jazz or rock