5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive Regency novel!
I have read all of Georgette Heyer's books, and Regency Buck remains my favorite -- after a few dozen readings! The mysterious plot, the wonderful dialogue, the splendid Regency settings, the chemistry between the impulsive heroine and the sardonic hero -- all these add up to a Regency masterpiece and the ultimate rainy night comfort read!
Published on 20 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Three and a half stars would be better
I don’t think Georgette Heyer ever wrote a bad book. Her characterisation is excellent, as always, her research flawless, her plotting particularly good.

But I found this novel a bit slow to start, and rather over-populated with what was apparently male interests in Regency times, particularly various types of fighting. The second half was much better...
Published 3 months ago by Sue

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive Regency novel!, 20 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favourite!, 9 Jan 2007
S. Barrass (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
I just wanted to add my praise for this book as it is my absolute favourite. I have read all of Georgette Heyers regency novels and adore them all but this has to be the best. Judith Tavener is a strong, likeable heroine who can hold her own against the, at-first, thoroughly dislikable Lord Worth. The way the two of them fight and argue throughout the book, yet the whole time you can see their feelings for each other growing is one of things I love most about it. Add to that the wonderful characters (I particularly like Beau Brummel being in this one), interesting story-line; no mere love story is this, there is so much about how Judith makes it in society, fiendish plots to see her brother killed, horse races down to Brighton, dinner parties at the Pavilion etc etc, not to mention (although I would hate to spoil the book for other readers I think it must be pretty obvious!) a wonderful ending, and it's no wonder that so many people fall in love with it.

I can't count the number of times I have read it but I enjoy it every single time! A must-read for anyone who likes Georgette Heyer and also for anyone who likes a good story with a nice bit of romance thrown in.

PS. Just wanted to add that anyone who enjoys Georgette Heyer may wish to try an author called Clare Darcy. She is generally held to be Heyer's successor and I find her books similar but utterly charming. I would recommend "Lydia" and "Elyza" in particular. For something more modern, I think Katie Fforde is a great writer, portraying modern independent women finding good old-fashioned romantic heroes to love, not without some bumps along the way though!

5.0 out of 5 stars My second favourite GH novel, and I have read most of them!, 20 Jun 2008
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
There are already eleven reviews of this book, so why am I writing a twelfth? Simply because I am longing to tell someone how much I love it. Having re-read almost all my Heyer novels I picked this up for a third reading, and had doubts about whether or not I would enjoy it again so soon. After all, I knew the ending and remembered much of the plot. How wrong I was! I wasn't far into the book before I was hooked again, seeing things which I hadn't recalled from the previous two readings and feeling bereft when I came to the end.

There is so much in this book: comedy of manners, witty conversations, kindness and courage, suspense, humour, romance, descriptions of people and places - I could go on. I was a little uneasy about the characterisation of real people, such as Beau Brummell and the Prince Regent, but despite my misgivings I am still giving it five stars.

The story starts with Judith Taverner, and her brother Sir Peregrine, travelling to London to meet their guardian and establish themselves there. On the way they stop at Grantham, and we are introduced to a few characters who re-appear in London. On arrival at the Metropolis they meet their guardian and set up house, not without some entertaining moments. Judith launches into society and Peregrine tries to find his feet. (One of the things I love about GH books is the way that siblings usually get along well, and these two are no exception.) What happens next is the subject of the book, and I won't spoil it by saying any more about the plot.

To compare it to her other works is difficult, as all her books have slightly different emphases as well as similarities. The hero is handsome and clever, the heroine beautiful and strong-minded, her brother more temperate than some of GH's young men, and the book contains adventure as well as romance and humour. It is longer than many of her works, at 356 pages, so there is plenty to enjoy and I found my emotions being touched by passion, kindness, protective care, anxiety and humour. Nothing could move Cotillion from the number one spot of my GH favourites, but Regency Buck has beaten her many other excellent books into second place, and its hero has won my heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars If only the Earl of Worth existed in real life!, 17 Oct 2005
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
This (along with Venetia and Sylvester) is my favourite Georgette Heyer novel. Lord Worth is intelligent, mysterious, masterful and damned sexy. The heroine, Miss Taverner, although beautiful, is frank and contrary. Sparks are bound to fly, especially when she discovers that she and her brother have been made his wards. it only gets worse when Worth and Miss Taverner's cousin, Bernard, make known their dislike of each other. Miss Taverner attributes it to mere jealousy, or is it?
The tension is palpable between Judith and Lord Worth, especially when she discovers someone has been trying to murder her brother...and Worth always seems to have had a hand in it...

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Geoergette Heyer bk ever, 25 Mar 1999
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
I truly enjoy G.H.'s books. This is my alltime favourite. I have read it over and over. The characters are endearing, the conversation witty. The storyline is almost inconsequential but plausible and carries the characters through. Our heroine is sensible (usually), refined, and bright. Of course she gets frustrated by the hero's interfering ways but after all he is a regency buck, but he's more than that when you delve into his reasons for all. A story that ranks up there with Pride and Prejudice as far as I'm concerned, although admittedly lighter reading. A romance classic

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
Judith Taverner and her brother Peregrine are rather shocked to discovertheir guardian is not, in fact, their father's friend the fourth Earl ofWorth, but his dashing son, the fifth Earl of Worth. The Earl is no lesssurprised than they, particularly as he has been flirting outrageouslywith his pretty young ward. Thus begins another humorous, entertainingand romantic Regency romp by Georgette Heyer. I am a great fan of herwork and used to scour second-hand book shops for them when they were outof print. This is one of my favourites. It is full of the typical twistsand turns, both wards managing to get themselves into scrapes that theymust then be rescued from. It is also very romantic with the Earlstruggling between his emotions and his duty.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Hero, 20 Jun 2008
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
I've lost count the number of times I've re-read Regency Buck. Another reviewer said it was predictable - that may be, but I just love the read. I am from the south of England so I found the description of outings in London and the journey to Brighton of particular interest, because they were so vivid and I recognised the landmarks and place names. The plot is very clever and the amusing and the witty dialogue just keeps me entertained for hours. Lord Worth is my kind of hero - gallant, strong, intelligent and for me, devastatingly sexy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judith Taverner versus the Earl of Worth, 27 Dec 1998
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
This is the main theme of the book. After her father has died Judith Taverner finds herself and her younger brother Peregrine under the guardianship of the 5th Earl of Worth. The Earl seems to be a rather awful person, very arrogant and patronizing. This lays the ground for a lot of fighting between the Earl and Judith. Because she is a young woman with her own thoughts, and not a person you tell what to do. But inspite of everything she actually become a noticed persone in the social life of London and even a prince sets his eye on her. Combine this with the mystery of: Is somebody trying to kill Peregrin? - And you get a terrific book. The book got a ironic tone sometimes and you cannot help yourself from smiling when Judith hates the Earl so much that you can surely guess what is going to happen! Anyway just read it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, 6 Feb 2001
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
I'm a Georgette Heyer fan and love Regency Buck, predominantly for the excellent characterisation and the chemistry between the hero and heroine. Read 'An Infamous Army' for a kind of sequel ('An Infamous Army' also sequels 'Devils Cub')

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-down-able., 6 July 2010
This review is from: Regency Buck (Paperback)
I am slowly trying to get through all of Heyer's regency novels, and this one is BY FAR my favourite. This book has everything, the romance, the mystery, characters that you totally buy into and actually end up caring for. I couldn't put it down until I had finished it.

Judith Taverner and her brother Sir Peregrine are travelling to London in search of the man their deceased father has made gaurdian over them, and along the way meet two gentlemen; one prefectly aimiable,who turns out to be their cousin, and the other, not so aimiable in Judith's opinion, turns out to be their legal gaurdian. You'll adore the sparring that goes on between Judith and the irresitable Julian Audley, Earl of Worth, and we all know from he begininng that he's fallen for her (although, typical man, not going to show it), and that they are perfect for one another. A couple more chaps turn up as prospective suitors to Judith, her cousin, Mr Taverner(who you'll be questioning from the moment you meet him), and you'll be screaming out at each one to leave her alone because she's destined for Lord Worth, even if his younger brother Charles Audley is as delicious as he is, and wears regimentals.

The plot thickens and twists at the end, thanks to Peregrine, but as usual, while Judith is panicking, Lord Worth has it all under control. The ending is lovely, and so completely what it should be, you'll read it over and over, savouring every word that comes from Lord Worth's lips, and swooning at most of them. Girls, what else can we ask for? There is nothing like disappearing into a Heyer novel, and thoroughly enjoying it, and secretly wishing we were the heroine being romanced by the dashing hero at the end. A fantastic read. You won't regret buying this book.

Regency Buck