Run

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read
"Run" by Blake Crouch is an entertaining and gripping read, packed with action and suspense.
Published 22 months ago by ChristophFischerBooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably deserves 4 stars...
... However, I have recently read the excellent 'Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite trilogy, and they are hard books to live up to.
Published 5 months ago by david proctor

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
The premise is very similar to that of many Zombie movies in that part of the population is infected and threatens the rest of human kind. Only in this case the people who are infected stay alive and organised while turning to violence and massacres. Those who remain uninfected 'run' for their lives.
The family the story is focussing on has their own problems which adds an additional dimension to the plot. Given the hundred's of 5 star reviews I might have had too high expectations and felt also a little let down by the end, but that aside the book is worth your time reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Survival Novel Ever!, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Run (Paperback)
Crouch does an awesome job building the suspense as Jack Colclough, his wife, Dee, their daughter Naomi and son Cole RUN for their lives when a large portion of the population view a metor shower which turns them into homicidal maniacs. Don't let the premise fool you, this is a great book. Crouch's writing style and storytelling is right up there with a prose blend that could be associated with the likes of Cormac McCarthy, Stephen King, William Gay, and Dean Koontz.

Jack and his family are put to the test as they are hunted by roving convoys of military-type murderers, face dehydration and starvation, must endure extreme weather conditions, never knowing what lurks around the next bend, if that day will be their last. It's both gutsy and gut wrenching. Believable action and cliffhangers.

This is the first book I've seen where the author drops the page down for each chapter but does not have chapter numbers, perhaps as less of a distraction. Worked for me. Another book that I've read of Crouch's is DESERT PLACES: A Novel of Terror (Andrew Z. Thomas Thriller) which I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
I loved the suspense of this book really thought the characters gelled and not my usual read. Going to buy his other books seldom have I read a book at three in the morning couldn't sleep with the suspense .

5.0 out of 5 stars Run, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
I gave this 5 stars because it is jam packed full of twists and turns. A story that makes you sit up and think how precious life is and the true vulnerability of our existence. Never a moment without action, you won't be able to put this down. The second BlakeCrouch book I've read and I'll be reading more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Run, 17 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Fast paced page turner about a family's fight/run for survival. Only giving 4 stars though, as I felt the ending was weak, but would still recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love!, 2 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Look forward to going to bed just to read this book - it's gritty and fast moving, complex characters, I'm 75% thru and have NO idea how it will end. Fantastic book - I've just got 4 more books from author!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, 30 Jan. 2012
Mrs. C. Fedoryszyn "caz128" (Lincolnshire. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
I feel like I've lived and breathed every mile of this family's journey. An absolutely brilliant story that had me hooked from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep on Running, 26 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Folks this is a damn brilliant read, Run is an apt title, the story unfolds at such a pace your eyes will need running shoes. The story itself is firmly centred on the trials and tribulations of the Colclough family. Jack has lost touch with his family, his kids hardly know him and his wife is in the middle of an affair, one that Jack is aware of. Key to the story is the reformation of family bonds, even though the world is going to hell in a hand basket. Through the course of the novel Jack does anything and everything to save his family. The book reminds me in many ways of Simon Clarke's King Blood, which is one of my all time favourite novels. Run, holds it's own in comparison to King Blood. By keeping the cast of characters to a minimum and by keeping the action close, we're not really made aware of the bigger picture, lends the book a heart.

I have previously only ever read Draculas which Blake had a co writing credit on. Blake's writing is mean and lean, keeping the pace of the novel at supersonic. If I was to have any criticism of the book is that Blake puts Jack through a hell of a lot, there are times that it feels is if Jack is superhuman. But hey the story wouldn't be nearly as much fun if Jack just gave up. Also on a personal note if I found out my wife was having an affair I wouldn't be so forgiving.

As for the reason as to why people are turning into killers. I liked the idea. I liked how those who where infected could see a halo of light around the heads of fellow infected. It would have been nice if more was explained as to how and why the lights in the sky sent those that saw them mad. But that's just personal taste, I don't like unanswered questions anywhere. I'm still waiting on someone explaining Lady Gagga to me.

On the strength of this story I have already downloaded everything else Blake Crouch has for sale at Amazon.

The story also comes with an interview with Blake and excerpts form his other works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably deserves 4 stars..., 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
'Run' is definitely worth reading. Blake Crouch has the ability to tell stories in a very familiar and personal way, as if a close friend or relative was telling you the tale. I've always enjoyed the books of Stephen King who has a similar style of writing, but if I'm pushed to make a decision I'd say Crouch has become the better story teller. Buy it. Read it. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 3 Oct. 2012
L. Anderson (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Very good read, from the off the relentless pace of the story doesn't lift and I felt the threat of the pursuers presence throughout the book. Recommended read.

Run