5.0 out of 5 stars A thriller that will make you want to race to the finish
Wow, I got Survival Instinct (The dark side of dating Book 1) through Kindle Unlimited, and so glad that I found it. It's part thriller, and part the misadventures of Jamie, a newly divorced single dad.

Published 5 months ago by digsblues

2.0 out of 5 stars Survival instinct
Excellent read.It was difficult to put this thriller down as it held the suspense from the beginning to the end.
Published 19 months ago by joseph hernandez

5.0 out of 5 stars A thriller that will make you want to race to the finish, 21 July 2014
digsblues (Oceanside, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survival Instinct (The dark side of dating Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Jamie's wife left him for a surfer she met on vacation, abandoning their two grown kids, too. He's still grieving the end of his marriage but decides to try the dating scene, with coaching from his daughter and a good friend, Bill. Having been out of the dating loop for years, things have changed, and Bill helps him interpret the "double-speak" which is hilarious.

Jamie's got some trauma from the war in Afghanistan which he hasn't shared with anyone. He's a man's man and wants to tough it out alone. Then, there are a series of serial killings in his area, which cause him to be concerned about his family and loved ones.

That's the start of a roller-coaster ride, with many twists and turns. From chapter to chapter, everyone was a suspect for me. I didn't know who to trust. I read the whole book straight through to the very thrilling end.

Highly recommend for an exciting read, with a very interesting back story. It's written by a Brit, and Jamie spent 12 years of his life in England, so the occasional Brit-speak didn't hinder my enjoyment at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dating has never been so dangerous..., 12 Jun 2011
Survival Instinct is a fast paced, well constructed crime thriller. Conner's book has all the ingredients of a classic murder thriller - a dangerously deluded psychopath, a police force under pressure and innocent victims unknowingly stalked. The sense of danger is all pervading throughout the story, and it certainly gives a new perspective on the perils of dating! A highly recommended novel and one that shines out from an already crowded marketplace.

5.0 out of 5 stars SURVIVAL INSTINCT had me gripped, 1 July 2013
WOW. This damn book made me read all through the night and I was nearly late for work! Brilliant.
Enough twists to keep you guessing, extremely well written. Only 2 syntax errors that I noticed,which is VERY good for an e-book. Thank you Declan

4.0 out of 5 stars Survival Instinct, 21 Jan 2012
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is definitely a book of many parts. There's the light hearted dating experiences that our hero Jamie gets thrown into. There's the serial killer going about his business "off stage" and then the other bits that are linked back to Jamie's time in Afghanistan.

I liked Jamie and had my suspicions about just about all the characters he comes across. Needless to say my ideas about whodunit chopped and changed from chapter to chapter. In this type of book you know there'll be a twist and boy, did this book twist and turn.

Once or twice I shouted to Jamie (in my head of course) "tell the police", but that would be too easy for him, lol

I wasn't too fussed on one of Declan's short stories, but this was certainly a good read. In fact I read it all today, I didn't want to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Declan Conner's 'Survival Instinct' The dark side of dating - thrilled to read it!!!, 20 April 2011
After enjoying Declan's great short stories in 'Lunch Break Thrillers', I was looking forward to reading his new novel 'Survival Instinct' (the dark side of dating)and was thrilled to read it!! Declan brought the characters vividly to life (and to death!), and his great sense of humour he brought to it was a good balance and contrast to the darker side of the story, giving a lively read. I couldn't put the book down. Just when I thought I'd worked out 'who dunnit' there were more and more twists and turns, and I didn't guess the ending! I can't wait for Declan's follow on novel 'Russian Brides'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now or never, 28 Oct 2014
Fast passed action thriller. Execellent book excellent author who has come up trumps once again.start reading this book u won't want it to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars So full of twists I got pleasantly dizzy!, 15 May 2014
Declan Conner has, once again, written a story that did that thing. You know, 'that thing'. Just when you think you have it all sussed out, who is killing who, he manages to add so many twists and turns you couldn't have seen it coming. Right to the last chapter I was convinced I knew 'who done it'! I was totally wrong. For me, this is a sign of a talented writer. In Survival Instinct we have two stories that come together towards the end. Jamie is a divorced father of two about to embark on the dating scene. His friend, Bill, introduces him to dating clubs. There are some funny scenes with some serious undertones and I started to feel real sorry for poor Jamie! Running alongside this, a murderer is on the loose. The story weaves in and out and comes together with an explosive ending. A very good read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Survival instinct, 26 May 2013