on 12 May 2011
I have had released one plugin when I bought this book and have several more in various stages of development. That's probably the right stage to buy this book. It would be OK for somebody starting out, but only if they are a quick learner. There are two things you must know though: PHP and WordPress. This book (rightly) assumes that you have a good knowledge of both of those. It's not necessary to have put the two together before, but it is probably helpful if you have. At the other end, it maybe doesn't go into the technical depth that very experienced developers might want - although as WP keeps evolving it might be hard to do so.

That's not a criticism: it is a fantastic book for somebody who has good foundations and wishes to use them to develop WordPress themes.

It has been written by multiple authors and it shows and that is the main downside because the standard and depth of their explanations is not uniform. Some sections can be handled with good explanations but, for instance, the section on the Settings API is quite poorly explained and relies more on code examples. It is a very good book; but I suspect version two (in a couple of years time?) could be excellent if the consistency is improved. That shouldn't deter anybody from buying it. It is a very good book, and quite possible the best there is at present.
on 26 April 2011
This book is excellent and, as an already prolific WordPress plugin developer (dartiss), still has lots to teach. I'd not recommend it to those starting off though.

My only issue... it's causing me too much work as I now feel the need to re-visit all my plugins and improve them based on what I've learnt in the book!
on 18 April 2015
This was the third ( and probably last) WordPress book I've read and I still learned a lot. It covers the API's in WordPress in just enough detail that you can carry on learning as go. Note that a lot of what applies to plugin development can be used for theme development, they all use the same functions basically.
The other, more general WordPress book by the same authors has recently been updated and includes what is basically a summary chapter on this book ( the APIs) and I would read that one first perhaps .

The first book I read before these two was 'Wordpress for Web Developers' which has more detail on WP from a users perspective whilst also providing more technical chapters on Theme and Plugin Dev.
on 18 April 2016
This is a great primer if you need to start developing in Wordpress. I bought this book through work to give me a foundation on plugin development and this book did just that.
on 16 February 2015
Well written and pretty extensive. Great for anyone looking to develop in WordPress
on 17 March 2015
Useful for reading to learn about the subject and for reference.
on 10 April 2015
Not great at all. I am a professional software developer with 20 years experience. I have had to learn so many technologies and languages across the duration of my career, most recently a defunct language from 1972 that has no documentation and no forums, and no tools or communities active. I even managed that easier than learning Wordpress and I have struggled with the haphazard nature of the wordpress eco system and community since I got involved in it mainly because there is no consistency in anything. It is clear the whole WP world has been put together by amateurs and people that decided they didn't like their day job and could do better for themselves with a job doing Web dev. They have even renamed and reinvented (poorly) almost every single concept and terminology that the professional SW development world has used for decades. This book is just the same, haphazard, unprofessional, incohesive (three authors with different native languages) the editorial job is appalling, errors everywhere, and even the erratum online which could easily have been maintained has been completely ignored. The working examples are poorly thought out and poorly explained, often there is information missing from explanations which require me to go online and research elsewhere. More often than not the information is available online and is more complete on the web, but not always. Almost every page has an example of a poorly thought out explanation, and I did think of making a full list of all the omissions and oversights, but it would have taken a long time. Alng with the lack of any real erratum and it does need it, there is an online p2p forum for the book, that has about a dozen post and my own question about a rather ridiculously unclear and unhelpful code example has been ignored for over a month. Perhaps I have been spoilt by being involved in the professional software business where QA, and engineering practices stand for something. In this world rarely are things what they should be, my advice would be to find a different platform to work on if you are looking to learn true web customisation and programming. However, if you need to learn WP to this level, then unfortunately this is one of the few books available and might be the best of a bad bunch. The question I posted on their p2p forum is about an example piece of code that registers a customer action, but instead of registering ones own function that you have just written the example actually registers the "alias" for the core WP function that is used to register a function. Is it me, or is this just an insanely recursive error? Either way it makes little sense and trying to figure out the meaning of what the code is doing is made harder because of this unclear example. I have to assume that you substitute the core WP function name for your own function name, otherwise it just seems wrong. However, there has been no response on the forum from author or contributor and this example is representative of the book and the void it exists in.
I have a colleague who has much more WP experience and this book as well. He feels the same way about it. A good effort from those that wrote it, but an effort it is to wade through it and to figure out what it all means. Unfortunately it reeks of a book written by those that are amateurs but have made a career out of this WP industry with little or no formal/professional software development experience or training. This might seem harsh, but frankly the entire Wordpress stack and associated tools are shoddy, whether prepros, SSASS, brackets, php, myphpadmin and so on - the entire stack is second rate, flaky and full of documentation errors and holes. Stay away, instead spend your time and effort on learning a professionally created SDK for the web.
on 9 August 2015
Great book just what I needed