Format: DVD|Change

on 16 June 2011
Brilliantly directed by debut filmmaker Craig Viveiros, GHOSTED may feature a lot of cliches from other prison drama / thriller films, but what makes this film stand out from the pack are the truly exceptional acting performances from the main cast.

The ever reliable John Lynch (from Black Death / Sliding Doors) excels as Jack, a model prisoner who is trying to keep his head down and avoid the prison monster Clay (Craig Parkinson in a Rottweiler of a performance). The balance is upset with the arrival of young arsonist Paul (Martin Compston from The Disappearance of Alice Creed) and the story develops as the two older inmates battle for control of the young boy.

Yes, there are the typical cliches (shankings in the yard / shower abuse scenes etc), but Ghosted is extremely well filmed and keeps you engaged all the way through to it's surprise ending. Easily one of the most interesting British debuts of recent years - the director is clearly someone to watch.
on 7 July 2011
Although it is true that most prison movies have the same plot formula, it is undeniable that 'Ghosted' proves that this formula, when acted and directed well, works.

The story is of Jack (John Lynch) who had been serving his time in prison, who then meets new prisoner Paul (Martin Compston) and tries to help him get away from the clutches of the scary Baron Clay (Craig Parkinson). From the very beginning of the movie, you empathise with Jack, especially when his wife leaves him on the anniversary of their son's death and his efforts to befriend Paul and lead him away from Clay is admirable.

There is never a dull moment and yes, although there are scenes that have been seen often in many prison movies, one cannot dispute that this is a well executed movie with wonderful acting.It is a movie that I could easily watch again and again without boredom and with every watch, I will still be engaged from the beginning to the end.
on 1 August 2011
I caught this randomly at the cinema and expected it to be just like every other prison drama/thriller I've seen. I was happy to find it wasn't at all like this. I recognised Martin Compston from Sweet Sixteen, where he plays a similar 'bad boy' character, and John Lynch who is always great to watch. The performances make the film more than just a run of the mill crime film, it's gritty and tense and well worth a watch
on 16 November 2012
I took a punt in buying this, since I'm not mad about prison films. A bit like the desert island scenario, there are limited places to go without bumping into cliches, and while films like 'A Prophet' are worthwhile, they are also undeniably grim. This has a good cast and is a British film which isn't either a rom-com or featuring glam gangsters, however, and I would happily have given it four stars if I weren't a bit unsure about the central twist, which is a big coincidence. Even that, however, is handled well and while I'm happily in no position to judge whether it accurately reflects prison life in any way whatsoever, it does convey the grim monotony, the lack of privacy and claustrophobic atmosphere I'd imagine.

3.5 stars really. Deserved a wider release, and worth a watch.
on 21 March 2016
This is not a bad film, it is gritty and realistic and I think that Martin Compston is a fantastic actor.
However there is one problem- I am a big fan of British films, I actually review films professionally and I was disappointed to find that this film was very similar in storyline to the Jack O Connell film Starred Upwhich is fantastic.
The film is a decent enough watch just not very original
on 15 March 2013
I am amazed that no-one has give this film a 5***** rating so here goes !
I watched this film last night and thought it the grittiest and best British film I have seen for some time.
Superbly directed and brilliantly acted by Craig Parkinson,John Lynch and Martin Compston. A powerful film with a very emotional ending - and a real ' twist in the tale.'
on 6 May 2013
The story was intense, the acting is perfect and the setting is marvellous. I have watched the film a couple of times now and the ending always gets to me! Please, do yourself a favour and watch it!
on 18 April 2016
brilliant film enjoyed very much l really liked the twist at the end l would definately recommend this film and give 5 stars through out
on 1 July 2013
This was a great movie .I totally enjoyed to watch it and will do so time and time again.Many Thanks
on 15 February 2015