5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!

Published on 5 Jan. 2012 by Cheshire Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 2 July 2012
Eddie Nguyen (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD]
This flick is not for the faint hearted. In a polite fashion it really gets down & dirty about English Victorian prostitution & the general sociatial position of many women in those days...the lack of personal power, the forced manipulation to survive, the futile attempt to remain sensitive & sane in a world which ignores &/or completely restricts women, where only the tough & strong women survive by escaping the snares of society by suicide or running far away. This is a marvelously written story with layer upon layer of repeated symbolism. The story evolves thru a dark dank filter...even the sunshine is tainted & does not have the usual golden glow. It will take several viewings to pick up most of the symbolism. Amazing production worth a viewing or 6...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you haven't read the book!, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fantastic production and I very much enjoyed watching it, my only quip is that I feel it could have easily been made into a longer series as so much detail from the wonderful book by Michel Faber is completely left out or left unexplained. If you haven't read the book, then you will enthralled with this. If you have read the book you may be slightly disappointed at the lack of some details - but that always the way isn't it! Still very much worth watching - a great job. Do read the book though!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crimson Petal & the White, 24 Sept. 2011
D. Berg (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is a must for all period drama fans. It was brilliantly made and the acting was superb. I started to read the book but got quickly bored with it switching from one character to the next. The DVD was much much better. I always read the customer reviews and base what I buy on them. I can honestly say no one will be disappointed in this excellent production.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must watch period drama, 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
Really much better then I expected. Sugar encompassed both the vulnerability and strenght of a woman, but tastefully. A wonderful mix of great acting and period costumes.

Sanya of Suva

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
The Crimson Petal and the White is an outstanding slice of TV, based on the best selling novel
The best thing on British TV in 2011, highly recommended - gripping storyline, endearing characters, wonderful period setting and a stunning soundtrack

Watch it immediately!

3.0 out of 5 stars The crimson petal and the white, 5 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very good DVD and well acted but it just isn't 5 star. I couldn't watch it again as it is quite lengthy and it didn't grip me. I had read the book which is a long one and although it left me not sure about it, I decided to risk the DVD. Lovely period features throughout and the scenery is superb and very 'Dickensian style London' it is worth watching just for that alone.
If the ending had been stronger I would have given 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adaption, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
Watching the series when is was screened turned me on to the books of Michel Faber. Whilst it cannot hope to compete with the book - no director can pack in the detail and depth of characterization covered in a 800+ page book - it was a superb production, headed up by the marvellous performances of Romola Garai and Hugh Bonneville (surely one of Britain's most accomplished actors of recent years). I felt the urge to watch it again and was well rewarded as a second viewing adds nuance and better appreciation of the story. For the uninitiated - Faber is Dickens, only better, more credible and readable - and he is able to say the things Dickens couldn't, being constricted by the times and society he lived in. Get this, then read the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing acting, 25 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
I havent read the book and I regret it a bit now - Im sure it is much detailed in those fields I was interested in. Still - magnificent visuals, very very good acting! Love when you able to leave your modern mind on the side and sink into their lives - and I did manage with this! (apart from the end when she did what she did with the child -dont want to be a spoiler...- Then I couldnt understand her but then I was glad she did ..what she did!).
Again, very good acting and beautifully presented movie!
I only gave 4* because some things were not explained and left me not understanding. Like at the beginning: how he got there and why. And everything about the doctor. I dont get it. Maybe if I read the book Ive known. My bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for costume drama addicts, 24 July 2011
Agnieszka (Ireland/Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
I am addicted to costume drama so had to have this one as soon as noticed it on Amazon. One of the best I have seen. Apart from great costumes a great piece of psychology drama as well and great acting. Shocking at times but you can't stop watching! I now ordered the book in Polish and can't wait for it to arrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant ! Romola is fantastic !, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] (DVD)
By fred's wife......I'm a lover of period drama's and Catherine Cookson is my favourite . I watched the trailer of TCPATW and thought this looks like my kind of thing, so i ordered it and i'm so glad I did . It was definitely different , I hadn't seen any period drama quite like this one before. Brilliant drama with a great cast and Romola is a very talented actress she completely blew me away in this . Warning do not purchase this if easily offended , not for the faint hearted , strong sex scenes etc . If dark, depressing, dirty is your thing then get it and enjoy ! One to watch again and again ...... MrsCCrazyForBru.

The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD]
The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD] by Marc Munden (DVD - 2011)