5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful series
The Amalfi Coast, stunning villas, formal gardens, Italian History and beauty is what you get in this really fabulous DVD release of a four part series.
Monty Don is always engaging and his warm personality is welcoming, friendly and informative. He gives great enthusiasm to the subject and all of these factors are here in this series.
It is a wonderful series...
Published on 9 Jun 2011 by Miss M. Potter

3.0 out of 5 stars great series
the content of this series is fantastic but the double disc package was not capable of being posted (on 2 occasions) without the discs being released during transit and arriving very scratched.
Published on 3 Feb 2012 by pm

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful series, 9 Jun 2011
Miss M. Potter "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
It is a wonderful series. I loved every minute of it. And this DVD is one to have and keep. I can quite easily watch it again and again.
There are two discs and only four programmes. There are no extra special features but there are subtitles for the hard of hearing.
There is a range of Italian Gardens and all of them are interesting. They all have their own special beauty. The whole series is beautifully filmed. There is good light and colour. Each garden is given interesting detail about the layout and history of the garden. Many of the gardens are not open to the public so this is a unique way to experience these magical places.
I found this series relaxing, interesting and uplifting. Monty Don has always been so likeable and in this series he is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
I have a love affair with Italy so acknowledge a bias from the start. Have also seen Monty Don in other programs. I did enjoy seeing gardens that were not normally open to the public, and also some of the aerial shots which provided perspective not normally seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant and restful four hours of viewing, 3 Jun 2011
Derek Jones - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
Two years ago Monty Don, one of my favourite TV garden presenters, took us around the world in 80 gardens. In this four hour two DVD set he tours Italy. He starts with the Renaissance gardens around Rome, mostly created by popes and cardinals to demonstrate their power and prestige. In the second episode he visits Florence and the Tuscan countryside, where gardens were created as works of art. The third episode was my personal favourite - Naples and the south of Italy, where the gardens are more informal and more floriferous. Those gardens combining vistas of the Amalfi coast were particularly impressive. In the final hour Don travels north again to the Veneto region, Lucca and finally Lake Maggiore, where we saw what was for me the most unusual and interesting garden.

This DVD is very much about grand gardens and their history (often fascinating) rather than gardening. There is very little about individual plants, and when Don does mention them it is not to tell us how to grow or use them. For example, we learn that in Venice tomatoes were grown for a long time before people realized one could eat them. Monty Don is as always an enthusiastic and engaging guide, who does not tell us about himself (as some presenters do) rather than the gardens and plants. A very, very pleasant and relaxing four hours of viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars We cannot stop watching this DVD..., 30 April 2012
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
When my wife and I first watched this DVD about Italian gardens we were astounded! The photography is marvellous and often breathtaking. Monty Don is one of the finest communicators of all time - he really looks at you and draws you into his passion for the subject (which is real and full of expertise). Some of these gardens we have already visited as we have a passion for Italy, but how wonderful to be allowed into gardens which are privately owned. Being a musician, I have reservations about some of the background music which seems rather "ad hoc". Does no one have any knowledge of some of the great Italian classical pieces? Naturally we loved "La Mortella" with its associations with Sir William and Lady Walton, and to end up on Isola Bella - was simply inspired! We can only wait for Monty to visit more gardens - what about Switzerland, Austria, France (there must be many more other than Giverny and Villandry). More please.... encore!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for garden lovers, 8 Jan 2014
Martin Gilyatt "Martin Gilyatt" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched the series on live TV some time ago I decided to buy the DVD for my wife.
It's well worth the modest outlay, as we can now revisit these beautiful gardens at our leisure.
A well-made series, superbly presented by Monty Don - pitched just right, with stunning scenery & excellent camera-work, music, etc.
The only problem is that we now want to visit them in reality, so it's going to cost me a holiday in Italy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Monty struts his stuff, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
Monty Don certainly knows how to bring out the most interesting aspects of old gardens and the palaces and other grand residences. He weaves in fascinating historical information that brings the whole to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars onty Dons Italian Gardens, 23 Nov 2013
Hi
An addition to the 'Around the world in 80 gardens'. A masterful journey around some incredible italian gardens with an unsurpassed oratorty by Mr Don. He is an excellent speaker, probably more than a gardener. I haven't seen any 'Gardens' dvds which come close to this series. It really is fantastic. Next on the list is the 'French gardens' addition. I wish/hope he will be producing another group of 'Oriental gardens' great stuff!
Bye Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars CONTAGIOUS, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
Monty Don is contagious whe he talks about gardens. He makes me love italian gardens. I am planning a visit to Italy just to go to some of them. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Oct 2013
Rose (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
It was lovely to visit the gardens in Italy as I am very fond of formal gardening. Anyone who loves gardening could enjoy this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monty Don's Italian Gardens, 23 Aug 2011
Daiva Verbyla (Melbourne, VICTORIA Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] (DVD)
If you love travel, history and beautiful scenery you will love this DVD duo. I am not a gardener, however I am in awe of the grandeur so comprehensively shown and explained by Monty Don. A real surprise, a celebration of man, art, nature and the renaissance!

Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD]
Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD] by Monty Don (DVD - 2011)