5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with the keyboard

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for serious budding pianists
Published on 6 Dec 2011 by Daz the Rebel

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with the keyboard, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
As a beginner I am very happy with the keyboard. It has many functions but I basically only use the grand piano as I just want to learn piano. I may well start to look at what else it does when I can play with more confidence. It suits me for what I want and I think that it is good value for the money. The manual that comes with it is very comprehensive and it looks easy enough to understand. It looks as though you could work your way through it quite easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great features, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
First time at an attempt to learn to play piano. Although have a bit of experience at playing a guitar, I thought I would try something new.
Not purchasing a keyboard before, I wasn't sure what to buy or how much to spend. Didn't want to go overboard in case I decided keyboards was not for me, but I wanted something at least half decent.
Nice surprise when my Yamaha 220 arrived. I couldn't belive how many features it had, ( think it may take some time to try them all out), also what a good sound it is. I am sure I could have spent twice as much and not been half as happy with some other model. I can truly say, even though its early days and, I am only just learning the basic cords, I think I am going to enjoy learning to play my first tune.
In my opinion, I think I chose a good 'un.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha keyboard, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
I purchased this as a present for my wife to fulfill a wish of her's over many years.
To my mind it is a marvellous introduction to playing music and I have no regrets.
My wife is very pleased and tries to practice every day and is improving. It is a
wonderful thing to hear and witness the development of musical ability. I can
recommend this keyboard to anyone interested in playing music.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 1st Keyboard, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
I just love this keyboard. I don't understand pros who are against it cos the keys aren't weighted. They'll moan about spending more and getting a weighted one as if we're all going to be famous musicians and will actually be playing with weighted ones! Some of us haven't got tons of dosh to spend on something we don't really need. Anyway, this is a very good keyboard, I have never played in my life and it's good for what I wanted it for. I am learning some songs and they all sound really good on it. Some of the instrument sounds on it could be better but that's the only slight grumble I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable Value For Money, 13 July 2012
Orinoco (Castilla La Mancha, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
We looked at numerous keyboards for our son's 7th birthday, there were Spiderman or Pokemon themed keyboards a quarter of the size, aimed at youngsters but with very few features... And then there was this piece of kit featuring 61 full size keys for about the same price!!

It's a no-brainer, especially when you consider the Y.E.S. learning system, the sheer quality of sound, the drum kits, the accompaniments - I think we've got him something that will last him years.

People question the lack of touch responsive keys, weighted keys, sustain pedals etc. This item costs less than 100 quid, sounds like a grand piano in a concert hall, takes up the corner of a small wardrobe in storage and affords beginners a touch of excellence. Touch responsive keys may add feeling and depth to a recital if you're a maestro, but if you're seven years old and hammering away at the ivories, having them regulated is probably a bonus anyway.

I really can't fault this product at all.

My lad thinks it is the bees knees and was making music within minutes of opening the box, we'll worry about weighted keys when he worries about weighted keys, which I guarantee will be a good decade away.

You really can not go wrong with this item and I simply can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a good starting point for music, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
It's such a good value for money. Excellent sound quality and functionalities. The learning mode allows you to train one hand at a time there is a nice group of songs to practice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for serious budding pianists, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
If you're looking for a beginners keyboard I would seriously recommend your local music store for proper advice. This keyboard is not touch-responsive (you can get a touch responsive keyboard from your local music shop for a little over £100). The sounds are actually not bad for this price range but even beginners will soon find that the lack of touch responsive (velocity sensitive) keys is a major set back. It is important to note that touch-responsive keys is very differnt from weighted keys - weighted keys will cost you a lot more and provide a heavy feel much more like a proper piano where as touch responsive keys allow for greater expression and are a must for anyone wanting to play anything more than "chopsticks".

Over all the build quality isn't bad for the price but you will find better in the £100 price range. It's definitely worth spending a bit more especially if this is a gift for a loved one who wants to learn to play because they will appreciate it in the long run - the lack of touch responsive keys will soon become a major problem to anyone learning to play.

My advice would be to make a trip to a proper music shop for some proper advice (you can always see if Amazon do it cheaper, shh!) or ask any keyboard teacher worth their salt what to recommend. This is more of a kids toy than a serious keyboard for someone wanting to learn, don't be fooled.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Dec 2013
Amazon Customer (Barrhill Ayrshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
This got me through the first 9 months of keyboard tuition. I was lucky enough to get a 2nd hand PSR-700 replace it. It is not touch sensitive but I knew this when I bought it. It is fine as entry level keyboard, but you will eventually progress onto music which needs to be played louder and quieter in places, at THAT point you would need to upgrade to a touch sensitive keyboard. There are failings with this item, auto fill in is missing and switching voices takes three or four seconds so you cant vary the voices during a piece. No ability to record but you CAN hook up to a PC to put what you play/compose onto manuscript paper. You gets what you pays for with this and it does the job

4.0 out of 5 stars good for what I wanted, 14 Dec 2011
P. A. Allonby (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
I played trombone and ran a band for many years but, now retired and no longer playing, wanted to realise a long-held ambition to play piano. I looked around for an instrument and settled on this particular one. It is ideal for a beginner - full size keys, a small screen that tells you what notes you are playing and a small but useful range of functions. The only downside is that there is no variation in the keys - no "loud and soft" but I only wanted this to see how I would take to it. I'm already noticing the limitations so next year will upgrade to a clavinova. Great for beginners though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
The only thing I miss is touch-response keys, but for under £80 this is an absolute bargain.
Waiting for Midi-USB cable to link to iMac and GarageBand.

Yamaha YPT220 Portable Keyboard