5.0 out of 5 stars a great read
Published on 22 Mar 2012 by buckleyj

3.0 out of 5 stars good storyline
The storyline of this book was really gripping and I read this book quite quickly as a result. However, the way that the characters were presented wasn't very lifelike, especially Sam. Nevertheless, still a good book.
Published 2 months ago by Julia

3.0 out of 5 stars good storyline, 13 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Hreat read, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sunflowers (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book up when free but would have paid for it. Really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: Sunflowers (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished reading this story which i purchase for free via my kindle. It is an easy read but delightful, drawing you in from the first few pages, it highlights the problems facing of bi-polar sufferers and single parents. I could only say in that the ending came to soon and abruptly, but the art of a good story leaves you wanting to know more. I hope the author will allow us to revisit 'Gus and Sam'. many thanks melodie starkey for an enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Instant Dad, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sunflowers (Kindle Edition)
I gave the tale four stars for the writing quality but I think the story itself was nearer three. It flowed along nicely enough but for me the male pov didn't quite ring true. The whole thing was just a shade too sugary and I thought what little drama there was should have been pointed up to balance out the gentle father/young son home life. The quick transition from slob to caring father lacked believability - a gradual understanding that his life must change in all aspects would have fitted the bill better.
All in all though, it was an easy stroll through suburbia and the quality of the writing made up for the potholes in the story along the way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sunflowers...simple but sweet, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sunflowers (Kindle Edition)
Can't call it a GREAT book but enjoyed it as a holiday read. Would definitely read more by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok....ish!, 28 Aug 2013
Sunflowers - Melodie Starkey

Gus Moore is woken up at 3am by his very ex-girlfriend holding a bundle which she dumps on his couch and says that it's now his problem and disappears.

Five years later, Sam (the bundle unceremoniously dumped) is almost six and having been given photos by Gus, recognises his mother Maureen in a shopping Mall. So begins the slow rebuilding of a relationship between Maureen, Gus and Sam.

I'm not quite sure what made me think I'd enjoy this book (It has lots of 5 stars!). I found myself skipping and scan reading a lot of the time. However, my main reason for completing the book was to see how the Maureen scenario would pan out.

I think that my main problem with the book is that the characters are just too good to be true. Gus is almost a "saint" father. Sam having had a traumatic few months at the beginning of his life, shows no signs of trauma and Maureen - well maybe she is the only character who one feels could be real.

So - I'm sorry, I'm going to have to spoil the perfect 5 scores given to this book and say "Not in a million years could there be such perfection"

Sunflowers