4.0 out of 5 stars Lexar Pro USB 3.0 Dual Slot Reader - Firmware upgrade.
Published on 20 Feb 2012 by Chris H.

[Edit: Compatibility issues are now resolved. Not sure how long ago now as I can't remember but it was last year (2012) and the reader is now working perfectly with F/W updates]

Beware of a compatibility issue as of 21st June 2012.

Published on 22 Jun 2012 by PJK

4.0 out of 5 stars Lexar Pro USB 3.0 Dual Slot Reader - Firmware upgrade., 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Lexar Professional 500MB/s USB 3.0 Dual Slot Reader (Personal Computers)
I initially had problems connecting the reader to USB 2 or USB 3 interfaces on my Windows 7 64 bit system. The device was not recognised properly in device manager and inserting a card (Silicon Power 8GB SDHC Cat 10) caused the system to hang. Ironically it worked fine connected to USB 2 on my Windows 7 32 bit netbook. Lexar have released a firmware update (Feb 2012 - UDMA7 firmware upgrade for Windows 7, Vista and XP). I have applied this to the card reader and the device now works perfectly.

I can also confirm it is supplied with a 1m black USB 3 cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reader, 10 Dec 2011
With 17 reviews mine is probably not needed, but, I have bought quite a few readers in the past and to find one for the compact flash proves difficult, however this one is superb. It closes down to keep the pins clean and be more compact, and when you insert the card there is a positive feel to it, so many reader have a sloppy guide to engage the pins, this reader is very positive. As the advert says, "It does what it says on the tin". Not a cheap reader I know but if you want hassle free transfer, this is the kit!
I would recommend this to a friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware Retina MacBook Pro compatibility issues as of June 2012, 22 Jun 2012

Beware of a compatibility issue as of 21st June 2012.

Having had issues reading a Lexar 1000x CF card using the earlier USB 2.0 version of Lexars reader I purchased this one and it worked fine on both a PC & a MacBook air. Now I've taken delivery of of a new Retina MacBook Pro, upon trying this reader it failed to work, only flashing the blue reader light.

I contacted Lexar support via the live chat facility and they confirmed that there is currently a compatibility issue between them which is apparently being worked on with some vigour between both Lexar & Apple and they're expecting to release a fix "soon".

I'm sure it won't be too long but wanted to stop others being disappointed if ordering one now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super speedy, 3 Jun 2011
This is probably the best present you can give to a high-end UDMA CompactFlash card such as the Sandisk 32GB Extreme Professional Compact Flash Card 90MBS.

On Windows 7 (64-bit Pro), it doesn't need any drivers - it just works and works extremely quickly too. I've downloaded 16GB of photos off the previously mentioned Sandisk card at 80MB/s.

One of the best purchases I've made.

If you've got fast cards, stop reading this and buy one. If you haven't got any USB 3.0 ports, buy an adaptor card to give you some then buy one of these.

In the interests of fairness though, I don't have any SD cards to try it with so can't comment on the performance with those.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent card reader, 29 Jun 2012
Works great straight out of the box. Quick read / write and cards slot in easily with no "is it in properly" drama I have had with other readers. USB 3 fast with large files as I wanted. Would recommend to all who need quick reliable card reader. It also works well on USB 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use for professional CF cards., 30 Sep 2013
I have tried many different CF card readers over the years, and most either fall apart or are so badly aligned that they bend the pins and soon become useless. (The worst ever USB 3 was made by Sandisk funnily enough!). This one is an exception, as so far has proved to be robust and easy to align. I previously used a pixel flash CF card reader which was also easy to use, but sadly after a year or so fell apart, and I was unable to get a replacement quickly enough. I have only been using this for two months so can't as yet say that it will outlast my previous one, but so far it is looking good. The main advantage was that it was available from Amazon quickly, and was reasonably priced, is USB 3 and easy to slot in my Sandisk Compact flash memory cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, quick, quick!, 18 Feb 2013
J. Williams (Bristol) - See all my reviews
Very fast card reader, and I don't even have USB 3.0! Much faster than my old Jessops reader, great product for a reasonable price

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy transfers, 24 Nov 2011
Having bought a fast sandisk extreme 30MB/s SDHC card, I tried testing it only to find that my existing card read in the side of pretty new Dell monitor was only managing to write at 6MB/s and read at 8.5MB/s according to h2testw. I tested in in a laptops builtin card slot and managed to get 14MB/s read speed. Fearing a fake/rebadged card, I invested in a proper card reader. Since I only had USB2.0 ports I bought a usb3.0 card as well from the same vendor.

I needn't have worried with the latter. Even with the built-in usb2.0 ports, this card reader gave me 23.6MB/s write and 32.4MB/s read, a 4x improvement on my previous results. Since I have compact flash cards as well, this looks like the ideal reader for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality reader, 9 July 2011
Chris (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I don't have USB 3.0, so can't test this 3.0 card reader to it's full potential, but I have tested it using USB 2.0.

My CF card is a 8Gb SanDisk Exteme IV 45Mb/s UDMA card. Theoretically USB 2.0 supports up to 60MB/s so for all but the fastest cards the lack of USB 3.0 shouldn't be a problem.

Test results (Using a 1Gb test file) :

Write 31.98Mb/s
Read 36.55Mb/s

When copying photos off this card it's the read speed that matters, and at 36.55Mb/s is 80% of what the stated rating of the card is. I think that's pretty good as there is always going to be some reduction when compared to a card's theoretical maximum.

So I should be able to empty a full 8Gb of photos in less than 4 minutes.

Supplied cable is 1m long and unplugs from the reader. For me 1m is much longer than needed, but I guess if you have a floor PC unit and want this reader placed on top of a desk then 1m would be spot on. The underside of the reader has a rubber grip pad and at 70g (reader only, no cable) should just be heavy enough to not be pulled off the back of a desk by the weight of the cable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for MacBook Pro Retina, 27 Oct 2012
I inserted the card and connected the reader to my MBPr. The computer did not detect the card. Once I inserted the card back into my camera, the data on it was corrupted and I lost all my pictures. Avoid this device if you have a MacBook Pro Retina. I am returning it and requesting a refund.