on 28 March 2011
This is the second installment of Paladin's Legacy and it continues the story of the people touched by the Paladin Paksenarrion and it takes up the rein just after the events in Oaths of Fealty.

The main character from Oaths of Fealty Dorrin Verrakai is now sworn in as Duke Verrakai of Tsaia and she continues to clean up after her horrible relatives and makes some intriguing finds. She also takes on squires and starts teaching the young nobles in a way that I found really enjoyable. I fell in love with her character in Oaths of Fealty but she is not as dominant here but I think it is all going to come together in the next book.

This is mostly about King Kieri Phelan of Lyonya, Paks former leader and the troubles he faces. The Lady, his Elven co-ruler and grandmother is evasive and avoids him. Things between elves and humans are far from good. He continues to learn about and to connect to the taig, the force of the land. No one around him fails to notice he is unmarried and has no heirs and they want him to marry. Then two princesses arrive from his unfriendly southern neighbors and put him in trouble that threatens war. There is lots of fun here and also a well deserved love story.

Count Jeddrin Andressat of Arrenis is the second prominent character, somewhat surprisingly after his discovery of the true history of his people. Alured the Black is making a bid for power in the south and has started to prepare for war with the North. The more and more humbled Jeddrin sets out to warn them traveling incognito which also is entertaining to read about.

I enjoyed reading this book, the characters comes to feel like family members, you get to know them and you root for them. There is warmth and love at the same time it is thrilling and perilous. Even minor characters like Arvid of the Thieves Guild and Marshal-General Arianya stays on in fond memory.

There is an overall arc about those strange artifacts Paks found and the rightful heir to them that I think will be resolved in the next book. The lore of Paksworld continues to grow and there is an intriguing short story at the end.

Kings of the North is sprinkled with strong vibrant female characters. It is thrilling with assassination attempts, undercover kings, love, fire and dragons at the same time warm and caring. Elizabeth Moon is a master of characters and don't get me started on her world building. I just wish it was March 2012 so I could read her next novel Crisis of Vision.

This is the best fantasy book I read this year so far and I recommend it with my whole heart. It is not a standalone book, you should start with Deed of Paksenarrion and Oath of Fealty.
As a huge fan of fantasy, I tend to keep an eye on the artwork that's coming out. For a number of years, I've absolutely loved the art of Paul Young so when this title by Elizabeth Moon landed I really had to dive straight in. What unfurls within is the second part of a series that has a huge number of elements as politics vie with heroics, romance vies with violence and the reader is thrust into a world that one small error can lead to catastrophic calamities. It's well written; the characters shine and with decent prose alongside a great understanding of pace the reader are in for a treat. A real humdinger of a title and whilst I missed the first part, the second one didn't leave me feeling alienated, it did however leave me wondering how much of the world's colourful background that I missed and I really want to catch up.
on 4 May 2011
A good follow on from Oath of Fealty. Good characters and plot, though personally I think I prefer the less complex plots in the The Deed of Paksenarrion series as most of the plot lines are still unresolved here. Most of them could be resolved in the third of the trilogy, but it's hard to see how Allured the Black / Count of Immer is going to be dealt with in just one book. I am looking forward to seeing how Sergeant Stammel goes on and what happens with the artifacts Dorrin and Paksenarrion discovered.
on 3 September 2014
After having read The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy in less than a week last summer, followed by a few days for the first in the series (Oath of Fealty), I struggled to get into this one, although in fairness I had gone back to uni (where I tend not to find enough time to read).
What I have found, having returned to the series is that it has moved more from the sword and sorcery of the original trilogy to more ‘epic’ fantasy, which in large part revolves around the inter-related politics of the nations of Tsaia, Lyonya and Pargun. While I tend to enjoy more complex epic fantasies incorporating large casts of distinct characters, my feelings about Kings of the North are distinctly mixed.
At no point did I feel that the book was a struggle to read, with the writing being as great as I’ve come to expect from Elizabeth Moon. Alongside this however, I’ve struggled to pin down what exactly makes me uncomfortable about the book. I feel that, to a certain extent, nothing of massive or lasting import seemed to happen, as many of the story-lines were tied up by the end of the book. While this has the advantage of leaving me satisfied with the book on its own, at the same time it has me wondering how the series will be stretched further without seeming tenuous.
That said, the book in and of itself is very good, with all the ingredients required to make a great epic fantasy book. As well as this, I massively enjoyed the chance to follow many of the characters I had grown to love in the earlier books, and look forward to starting the next in the series, Echoes of Betrayal.
on 16 June 2011
This is the second in a long awaited series which details what has happened in the world of Paksenarrion.

With Kieri discovered and now crowned King of Lyonya trouble might have been thought to have been settled. Not a bit of it. He is having problems with his elven grandmother, who seems to be neglecting her duties as co - ruler (and the reason why is hidden in one of the earlier Paks novels). His deputy, Arcolin, now leads the mercenaries in the South, where 'bandits' look more like a professional army trying to detablise the region. Dorrin, now duke Verrakai, across the border in Tsaia, still has problems with the heritage of her mage-lord parents and ancestors, not to mention the sapphire and diamond coronation regalia that speaks to her and urgs her to put them on. Is there any connection with Alured the Black, who is causing problems down south? That question may be answered in the next volume.

If I have one complaint about this novel it is that it ought to be about 50 pages longer. The incident of Arian and the dragon comes right at the very end, with little or no warning, other than the Pargunese talk of 'scorching fire' and the knowledge of some of the characters that Camwyn 'dealt with' dragons in the far distant past.
on 10 April 2011
What can I say, this book was fun and well plotted. I sat down and read the Deeds of Paksenarrion and oath of fealty before reading this and it was great to see how a sheepfarmers daughter influenced the charaters around her. Also considering the time difference between the writing of the deeds of paksenarrion and the paladins legacy the connection and flow of the writing and plotting was amazing.
I highly recommend both the deeds of Paksenerrion and the paladins legacy to anyone who enjoy a well thought out fantasy story. (and for space opera lovers i recommend Elizabeth Moons Serrano series and Vattas war)
on 30 March 2011
Elizabeth Moon writes some fantastic fantasy fiction and this book follow on her great tradition. Its as good as the Varta trading and the Serrano series.

This is book 2 of a multi book series - that follows on from her first series of over 15 years ago.

Book 1 was "Oath of Fealty" was a book that you had to read to the end and then wanted more - even though the story had "completed"

Book 2 "Kings of the North" follows on from book one and contains surprises and again is one that you want to get to the end.

Have re-read both multiple times and will expect to do so for the future
on 13 September 2013
This was an excellent continuation of the story. I was drawrn in by the complex characters and convoluted plots. Elizabth Moon's universe has been one of my favorite locations since I first picked up the Sheepfarmer's Daughter. I return to the world of Paks time and gain and it never fails. i bought this for my daughter as I had finally persuaded her to begin the saga. Once she had started she needed the next book!
on 30 March 2014
I really like Elizabeth Moon but this series leaves me baffled as I cannot remember which character is friendly with which other characters. I much prefer the Serrano and Vatta books, as well as the stand alone books, Remnant Population and Speed of Dark, etc.
on 13 February 2014
If you liked 'Oath of Fealty' then you'll love this follow-up by Elizabeth Moon. I feel this is a great 'swords and sorcery' series, probably one of the best that I've ever had the pleasure to read.