5.0 out of 5 stars A well deserved love story ...
This is the second installment of Paladin's Legacy and it continues the story of the people touched by the Paladin Paksenarrion and it takes up the rein just after the events in Oaths of Fealty.

Published on 28 Mar 2011 by cybermage.se

3.0 out of 5 stars Paladin's legacy series
I really like Elizabeth Moon but this series leaves me baffled as I cannot remember which character is friendly with which other characters. I much prefer the Serrano and Vatta books, as well as the stand alone books, Remnant Population and Speed of Dark, etc.
Published 3 months ago by Baz

5.0 out of 5 stars A well deserved love story ..., 28 Mar 2011
cybermage.se (USA) - See all my reviews

The main character from Oaths of Fealty Dorrin Verrakai is now sworn in as Duke Verrakai of Tsaia and she continues to clean up after her horrible relatives and makes some intriguing finds. She also takes on squires and starts teaching the young nobles in a way that I found really enjoyable. I fell in love with her character in Oaths of Fealty but she is not as dominant here but I think it is all going to come together in the next book.

This is mostly about King Kieri Phelan of Lyonya, Paks former leader and the troubles he faces. The Lady, his Elven co-ruler and grandmother is evasive and avoids him. Things between elves and humans are far from good. He continues to learn about and to connect to the taig, the force of the land. No one around him fails to notice he is unmarried and has no heirs and they want him to marry. Then two princesses arrive from his unfriendly southern neighbors and put him in trouble that threatens war. There is lots of fun here and also a well deserved love story.

Count Jeddrin Andressat of Arrenis is the second prominent character, somewhat surprisingly after his discovery of the true history of his people. Alured the Black is making a bid for power in the south and has started to prepare for war with the North. The more and more humbled Jeddrin sets out to warn them traveling incognito which also is entertaining to read about.

I enjoyed reading this book, the characters comes to feel like family members, you get to know them and you root for them. There is warmth and love at the same time it is thrilling and perilous. Even minor characters like Arvid of the Thieves Guild and Marshal-General Arianya stays on in fond memory.

There is an overall arc about those strange artifacts Paks found and the rightful heir to them that I think will be resolved in the next book. The lore of Paksworld continues to grow and there is an intriguing short story at the end.

Kings of the North is sprinkled with strong vibrant female characters. It is thrilling with assassination attempts, undercover kings, love, fire and dragons at the same time warm and caring. Elizabeth Moon is a master of characters and don't get me started on her world building. I just wish it was March 2012 so I could read her next novel Crisis of Vision.

This is the best fantasy book I read this year so far and I recommend it with my whole heart. It is not a standalone book, you should start with Deed of Paksenarrion and Oath of Fealty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good second book in trilogy, 4 May 2011
A. Jones "firemonkey" (UK) - See all my reviews
A good follow on from Oath of Fealty. Good characters and plot, though personally I think I prefer the less complex plots in the The Deed of Paksenarrion series as most of the plot lines are still unresolved here. Most of them could be resolved in the third of the trilogy, but it's hard to see how Allured the Black / Count of Immer is going to be dealt with in just one book. I am looking forward to seeing how Sergeant Stammel goes on and what happens with the artifacts Dorrin and Paksenarrion discovered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent second release in Elizabeths new series, 19 Mar 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a huge fan of fantasy, I tend to keep an eye on the artwork that's coming out. For a number of years, I've absolutely loved the art of Paul Young so when this title by Elizabeth Moon landed I really had to dive straight in. What unfurls within is the second part of a series that has a huge number of elements as politics vie with heroics, romance vies with violence and the reader is thrust into a world that one small error can lead to catastrophic calamities. It's well written; the characters shine and with decent prose alongside a great understanding of pace the reader are in for a treat. A real humdinger of a title and whilst I missed the first part, the second one didn't leave me feeling alienated, it did however leave me wondering how much of the world's colourful background that I missed and I really want to catch up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kings of the North, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Kings of the North: Paladin's Legacy: Book Two (Kindle Edition)
Another brilliant book from Elizabeth Moon. She excels at the multivolume structure - a good story each time but a 'hyper story' over all which keeps you coming back. Excellent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Paladin's legacy series, 30 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars great follow-up, 13 Feb 2014
If you liked 'Oath of Fealty' then you'll love this follow-up by Elizabeth Moon. I feel this is a great 'swords and sorcery' series, probably one of the best that I've ever had the pleasure to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read it and all the others in the series., 13 Sep 2013
This was an excellent continuation of the story. I was drawrn in by the complex characters and convoluted plots. Elizabth Moon's universe has been one of my favorite locations since I first picked up the Sheepfarmer's Daughter. I return to the world of Paks time and gain and it never fails. i bought this for my daughter as I had finally persuaded her to begin the saga. Once she had started she needed the next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth Moon, 23 July 2013
Norman Gibson "Ardent Reader" (Northern England) - See all my reviews
I would recommend any book by Elizabeth Moon, they are well thought out and keep your interest all the way through

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 7 May 2013
This the second book in what is turning out to be a very good series.
Can't wait to read the next part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 5 May 2013
The book is a great read and easy to get into. You will find it hard to put down. Brilliant.