5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
Published on 16 April 2011 by gusone

2.0 out of 5 stars bitter disappointment
firstly, im going to start by saying that I realise many fans will not agree with this review however I think many others will agree with me; ive refrained from reviewing it since I bought it, thinking that it will grow on me but it is actually now to the point where i cant listen to it without getting annoyed and bitterly disappointed.
i have been a fan of sylosis...
Published on 19 April 2011 by Gary

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth (Audio CD)
How can Reading produce this? This is a stunning jaw dropping Cd. I took a punt after a magazine review more in a support your local band mood if truth betold. I'm still picking my jaw off the floor. The musicianship is excellent and there's some mighty fine death metal vox. What I was not expecting was that this CD reminds me of Becoming the Archetype so that's very high praise indeed. There's a ton of melodic solos/interludes and acoustic breakdowns, 14 songs andsome 72 mins. It's full of great riffs and excellent songs. I'm still amazed a bunch of lads from Reading can produce this masterpiece (this is the first CD of theirs I've heard/bought). In short it's medium paced grandoise catchy death metal and quite frankly.... awesome. Buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pioneering Inspiration, 22 Mar 2011
Mr. R. T. Sharp "No Worries" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth (Audio CD)
It has been far too long since a band has exceeded expectation and created something consistently exceptional. Sylosis continue to do so.

Staying faithful to standard E tuning and influenced from Bay Area Thrash Metal, the (UK) Reading 4 have delivered yet another genre smashing pinnacle of musicianship. Not since the days of discovering Metallica's And Justice for All and similar era albums, have I been so engaged with the music and the band.

Live, these guys are simply incredible - they are literally redefining the Metal genre and this album, after Conclusion of an Age, is yet another milestone on a road of continued pioneering music - I hope this is just the beginning of many more albums in the future.

Edge of the Earth will leave you awestruck, fulfilled, content, subconsciously & consciously rocked and thirsting for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning !!, 27 May 2011
P. Upton (midlands uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth (Audio CD)
Listened to many bands in the past 30+ years and some do make you stop and take a casual interest and will have to be given repeated plays to understand what the hell is going on.
Everything from Venom to Rush and Caliban and Trivuim -hints are here.
But Sylosis are something more- GRAND AND EPIC come to mind-you can hear a lot of hard enthusiasm and dedication to the genre in this remarkable aural metal masterpiece.
"Empyreal"(part 1) is staggering in it's complexity -this alone is worth the price of the cd.
The timing ,power and tempo give no end of pleasure to the listener and Josh Middelton's axe-work is Simple Stunning !! -any air guitar hero would be blown away !!

Tracks like "Sands of Time" and "Serpent's Tongue" are unbelievably well written,there's instrumental interludes before screaming vocals and more riffs kick in again throughout and Rob Callard's Drums hammer into your ears like Jackhammers and sums up what i believe the band's best cd so far because it works on several sections -tempo,guitars drums and vocals.
Reading the lyrics-I will be listening to this well into next year-Longevity-no bad thing!!
Lucky to catch them play at Hit The Deck Notts and they were Awesome Live-watch em go big at Sonisphere 2011.
Well done to Sylosis and the producer Scott Atkins -Brilliant Work to the EXTREME.

Get yer tabs around this -it kills- it's so Bad ass it's unreal......from Reading UK you say ??

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Group if you like growling Metal and I do, 7 May 2013
A. D. Taylor (Kings Lynn, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth (Audio CD)
I think this is a fantastic group the guitar work is amazing. Cant have it too loud in nice weather with the window open so even turned down its still good. Like to up it abit during the day when most people are at work. If you live in Shetland reckon you could blast it out all day with no police appearing lol. Yes buy if you like this music, if you dont still buy it and I guarantee you will have no worries in your head lol

5.0 out of 5 stars An Underrated Gem., 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Edge of the Earth has been one of my favourite albums since it came out, and this vinyl release does not disappoint. The sound quality is exceptional, and the transparent blue vinyl looks very good with the predominantly blue artwork on the sleeve. All in all this is an exceptional record that I would recommend to lovers of bands like Death or Cynic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth (Audio CD)
This is a great album by Sylosis.

I wasn't very impressed from the first listen, I felt all the songs sounded the same and I got a little bored of it however repeat listens have proved the album to be a real grower and I soon started to pick out really nice touches in many of the songs. I dont own anything else by them so I am unable to comment on how this compares but I will certainly be checking out their previous releases.

Id guess that long term fans will be happy with Edge of the Earth, its great album but not an out and out classic, hence the 4 star score.

Standout songs for me are:

Procession
Beyond The Resurrected

Overall a recommended purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth (Audio CD)
I've seen this band on tour before supporting other amazing bands several times & they've always been good live stage presence another reason represent

2.0 out of 5 stars bitter disappointment, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth (Audio CD)
i have been a fan of sylosis since they released the casting shadows EP which i randomly bought from hmv for £6 when it came out, and it was well worth it and they became my new favourite band. The Supreme Oppressor EP was also awesome; and then we had Conclusion of An Age debut which was and still is simply brilliant. ive also seen them live and know they can cut it. So they had a lot to live up to with this new one.
The problem for me is the vocals by Josh; I read recently, although he may have been mis-quoted, but the jist of it was that he had said that Conclusion of an Age was 'kiddie metal' and this new album would be proper metal and just how he visioned sylosis to be. now, i thought this was a bit offensive towards their many fans, sort of labelling their fans as lightweight metallers / bullet for my valentine lovers or something (which is fine if you like BFMV!!)
So Jamie quits (or gets asked to leave i hear) and Josh takes up the vocals. very bad move in my opinion. this new album has been ruined by monotonous one dimensional grunts which actually sound like a kid trying too hard to sound 'metal'.
sylosis is now the 'josh middleton project' which is fine if the tunes (and vocals) were backing it up. he may aswell have re-recorded conclusion of an age but with himself grunting over the top. A vocalist is meant to add another layer to the music, to bring energy and emotion to it; even full on death metal growlers can do that, im not writing this as a so called 'kiddie metaller' that he thinks his fans may be. i appreciate the fine art of metal and love the more heavier bands like desecration and deicide (check out these bands latest releases). i just think his vocal style is very below average and does not do the music any favours at all. Josh is clearly a very talented guy/musician/guitarist but i think he should re-consider the fact that he cant be great at everything and should get a new vocalist in to do the band justice and he should concentrate on the killer music he writes.
the music on edge of the earth is brilliant (that alone gets 5stars), its not a million miles away from Conclusion.., but stick his vocals to it and its quite painful to listen to. it hasnt grown on me at all. there is also too much filler on there (empyreal pt2 - whats all that about?!!)
i still listen to all their other releases regularly; i had such high hopes for this new one but im afraid, with the new vocals, its so off the mark its unreal. if another few months of listening changes my mind I will eat my own hat with my head still in it but i know its not gonna happen.
for those of you as gutted as me, and anyone who appreciates the fine art of metal - you must check out Allegaeon and their album Fragments of Form and Function - now this is simply brilliant, my album of 2010/2011 so far; it came out last July/August and I cant believe they arent getting recognition for it. its simply awesome metal, the riffs, the technical ability, the musicianship, the songs are amazing; every track is a winner and the vocals are good!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best by Sylosis so far, 14 Mar 2011
Adam Johnston (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edge Of The Earth (Audio CD)
This is simply a fantastic album, not just by Sylosis' high standards but it will be and should considered one of the best albums of the year.

Edge Of The Earth