5.0 out of 5 stars Julie Hearn's Wreckers - brilliant
Published on 8 Aug 2011 by Rural_reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful. DNF
Yes. I paid for this book, I believe it was discounted but still. I paid for this rubbish. I didn't finish it, didn't even half way, which says it all really.

Published 16 months ago by g

5.0 out of 5 stars Julie Hearn's Wreckers - brilliant, 8 Aug 2011
This review is from: Wreckers (Paperback)
After the opening scenes, which are set in the past, Wreckers is set some time in the future, after a big attack has devastated Britain and flattened the social order. But this isn't science fiction. That it is (sort of) post-apocalyptic is almost incidental. It allows England to be an isolated backwater, and a small west-country coastal village to be almost completely cut off from the rest of the world. The small group of young people left in the village are raised with each other, taught with each other, and potty-trained with each other, in a row. They also dare each other, so when one of them wants to investigate the crumbling old house, they all go. In the house, hidden, is something that has been sealed since the wreckers killed its guardian, stole it and gave it to the lady of the house. When it is let out at first nothing much changes; more dramatic in its effects on the quiet village is the arrival of a film crew and a young film star. But then....
Convincing and distinctive characters in a story that is both mythical and down-to-earth realistic; sad, funny, fast-paced, believable, brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Different, 7 Sep 2011
ML Jensen (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wreckers (Paperback)
This book is a new departure for Julie Hearn. Not only is it set in the future rather than the past, but it also contains romance - something all her books seem to have made a point of avoiding up to now.
I read it on holiday, when I'd been really starved of good books, and couldn't put it down. I gobbled it up in two evenings. It's exciting, spooky, and strange and kept me guessing most of the way through about where it was going next. You care about the characters and their problems and longings are all so human and believeable.
Wrecking was a grim and shameful part of our past in the British Isles, so it's probably just as well that the history of this isn't the focus of the book. I particularly liked the contrast between the wrecks at the beginning and end of the book. That was such a nice touch. I don't want to say too much in case I give the plot away - so just go and read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic mix of past and present, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Wreckers (Kindle Edition)
i have to admit that this was a bit difficult to get in to and i had to start it twice but on the second time i raced through it. i loved the fact that the past and present merged, most of the past is at the beginning of the book but there is a continuing thread through the book that links it all together and i loved the happy ending of most of the main characters although there was some poignancy. i have to say that i really enjoyed the authors' world and will read this book again. the fact that it was based on one of the myths that has always particularly intrigued me, meant i enjoyed it even more. bravo.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful. DNF, 14 Aug 2013
g (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wreckers (Kindle Edition)

I'm not entirely sure what Wreckers was really about, the plot is fairly simple, set in Great Britain (YEY!) in a dystopian future where London has apparently been destroyed and the country is set back to a world of rations and poverty (more on this later). The book is told from the perspectives of five friends (although we hear from some more than others) who find a box in a haunted house on Halloween, so they open it.... its pandoras box and for any that know the story, all that was left after the nasties had flown was hope. But apparently not, apparently there is still one more nasty left, and these plonkers are all set to release it.

The primary let down in the part of the book I read was the scene setting and the book set up, flitting from character to character gave no depth to any of them, and I couldn't see why there were even friends. The world Hearn's created has no validation - the country is in poverty and no-one has cars, yet they still holiday to cornwall and all the shops and cafes are open? The characters talk obsessively about getting milk shots (WTF are they?) and go and pay for them at the diner? None of it makes sense - either the country (or those we see in this story) are barely surviving or they are not really effected by it all - this half way, picking and choosing annoyed me, it was like there was no real thought going in to it, almost like a child had drawn the future and Hearn had picked things out of the picture to use as `gimmicks' to prove it was the future.

Like I said the characters were weak and had no like-ability at all, the plot was feeble (which is a shame as pandora's box would have been a great story to tell). I can only comment on the bit I read obviously, but I can't imaging that it would of suddenly got better....

1.0 out of 5 stars Wreckers, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Wreckers (Kindle Edition)
A bit slow and laborious. Characters lacked substance and were little bit soulless. That is obviously just my opinion and perhaps l had a bad day

Wreckers