on 12 May 2013
Having read through all ten Malazan book of the Fallen offerings, I now find my self grieving that the epic journey is currently over. Steven Erikson has raised the bar for me in terms on the depth of the storyline and the intricacies of plot, counterplots and a damn good read.
To the uninitiated, don't give up when the plot surpasses your understanding and takes twists you cannot fathom. It's well worth fighting your way through to the end.
on 1 March 2011
It's hard to know how to summarise this book. A few words spring to mind: epic, enthralling and emotional. Personally I loved the whole book, from start-to-finish it paced well and there were so many great moments. It was a fitting end to the Malazan Book of the Fallen and if you've loved the books upto this point then you'll almost certainly love this one. If you've had major problems with the other books then it's still worth a long and considered look. I would recommend this series (and book) to anyone with an interest in fantasy.
on 16 March 2014
I've now read all 10 books in the series (one after the other-thanks amazon) and can only wonder how Mr Erikson can come up with such a wonderful and epic tale.As soon as I finished one book I downloaded the next (thanks Amazon) so I could keep the story going.I'm feeling a bit down now that its finished.Mr Erikson I owe you a couple of pints!!
on 14 December 2014
Very difficult to write a short review of this huge body of work. I read books 1,2,3 and 10 and anyone up to the tenth will have made up their own mind. I did want to know the resolution but there was far too much extreme violence, it was all too complex with too many undeveloped characters and too many jumps between situations.
on 12 October 2015
Excellent book overall and followed on nicely from DoD. I really liked how the series closed out which for me is usually the worst aspect of a series as it tends to disappoint. I have a small complaint that I would have liked to see a bit more of the fallout after the story was resolved but I'm very satisfied on the whole.
on 27 July 2013
The greatest story ever written, I shed real tears and real laughter while reading this series! Second time of reading and already missing the characters.
Will read this series over and over, genius, will there be more??? Really hope so. Erickson sort it out!!!!!!
on 30 December 2013
If you've made it this far you'll know what to expect, and you won't be disappointed.

Took me a year to read the entire saga and was worth it.

I'm already well into a complete re-read and enjoying it just as much the second time around.
on 18 October 2015
Having read and now listened to these stories completely I can safely say this is the best fantasy series I have ever read/listened to. If you love fantasy buy these books/audiobooks and enjoy the ride.
on 11 October 2011
Very seldom does a book make me cry as much as this one did, it moved me on a regular basis throughout its 913 pages. The last sentence on the second to last page (just before the ending poem) had such a tremendous emotional kick that it still haunts me two weeks after I finished the book.

"The Crippled God" starts slow. The first 300-400 pages are mostly characters talking and travelling, though it's never boring. Don't let that slow beginning fool you though, this is easily the Malazan book with the most fighting in the series thus far, and taking into consideration the epicness of previous Malazan books that's saying a lot.

The story of this book is overall about two different wars, with more than a dozen separate battles between them, The Shake/Leatheri against the Tiste Liosan, and The Bonehunters and friends against the Forkrull Assail. Both storylines are great, filled with great heroics, horror, sacrifice and everything you would expect from a Malazan book.

This book sees a return of several favorite characters from earlier books in the series, Ganoes Paran being particularly great this time around (though he always is). We also get a return of all the mainstays of the series like Fiddler and Hedge, Gessler and Stormy. While some characters get more focus than others, everyone gets their moment to shine.

I have to give one warning though, while this book wraps up a lot of storylines and is the climax of the "Book of the Fallen" series, it's not the end of the Malazan series. Esslemont will write a book called "Assail" in a couple of years (after he has published the Malazan books "Orb, Scepter, Throne" and "City in The Jungle") that will function as a conclusion and epilogue to the series as a whole. Therefore don't go into this book expecting it to finish or explain everything, its not meant to do that.

That being said, this is my favorite fantasy book of all time.

I have read the books in "A song of Ice and Fire", "Lord of the Rings", "Wheel of Time" and several of the other greats out there, but this is it for me. This is number 1 on my list by a pretty wide margin, don't miss out on the chance to read it, its wonderful.
on 17 July 2013
Total mastery to manipulate so many strands whilst, as is always necessary, sacrificing some. Third time I have read the series, still found new depths each time so far.

Luminary.