5.0 out of 5 stars A blast!!
I saw this movie a couple of years ago, and it was a blast from the beginning to the end. The boys were brilliant and the story great. Harmless entertainment for the whole family. I nearly laughed myself to death by the funny remarks and the lovely characters. Especially the little guy that wanted "one for the road".
Published on 31 May 2003 by torillsj

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted the original sub-titled French version which I had seen in Hampstead around 45 years back.
This version does not have the cute humour of the original French movie which I wanted and have landed with this version which is ok. I still remember a scene from that movie where a father is chasing the child and the child shouts at the top of his voice "soft-cock". The implications are obvious.
Published 16 months ago by gautam g

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast!!, 31 May 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, laughter, Good times, dreams........, 4 Mar. 2006
I love this movie. I was introduced to it by a friend of mine, we were both 7 or 8 at the time , the film had only resently come out, it seems like yesterday, but now was 12 years ago. As we both have irish parents we "idolised" the movie. We would learn all the words, and sing along to the song and we longed to be marie with the ribbons in our hair! This film is fun, light hearted, and you can watch it over and over again. It MUST be relased on dvd!!! And i always did want to know, who does everyone think Marie married in the end Fergus or Jerome, i think Fergus all the way!!! BUY IT , WATCH IT, EXPERENCE IT!!! The best movie ever to be made!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family film., 7 Jun. 2005
Mark Napier (Stafford, Staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I saw this film for the first time recently on satellite television.The storyline and entire production is brilliant from beginning to end.I was not surprised to find that Colin Welland and Lord David Puttnam,both of "Chariots of Fire" fame, were associated with this one.The acting by all the cast,especially the children is superb.Go and buy it !

5.0 out of 5 stars War of the Buttons!!!, 2 Jan. 2004
This film is about two local gangs of boys...(and a few girls) in Ireland,who fight with each other, but instead of beating one another up the cut off the buttons, shoe laces, belts and ties of their enemy!! I saw this film when it first came out,its absolutely amazing!! A must see!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just why hasnt this been released on DVD yet?, 25 July 2005
D. Cunningham "bighappychappy" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of the only films i remmeber from childhood worth mentioning about. i must have been around 7 when i first saw this, and still think about it today. Alot of people I know have not heard of it. Which is an absolute shame. Thing I like about it, is that a child can relate to this without the issue being too serious for them to chew on, which will explain the PG rating of course. But no kid will fully understand teh true meaning of war until their older but this does show a great step for them, and is not as horrific than making them watch "Full Metal Jacket" at 7. HAHA Could ya imagine the tears from the room or the long term psychological effects of that? lol

5.0 out of 5 stars War of the buttons, 29 Nov. 2002
This film is about two gangs of boys from rival villages in Ireland, who declare war on one another, taking buttons as battle trophies. It says much for the director that the child acting is superb, and the narration is perfect. My sister and I rented this from a video shop a few years ago, and have been searching for it ever since. This should be a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite film ever!, 11 Sept. 2013
G. O'Donnell "Geri O'D" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War Of The Buttons [DVD] (DVD)
Used to watch this 2/3 times a day when inwas wee! Love it!!! Should be released in cinemas as too many people have never heard of it and are missing out!

5.0 out of 5 stars A film that will stay in your heart for along time, 2 Dec. 2002
By A Customer
I stumbled across this film 8 years ago when I impulsively bought it as a Primary school resource. It's a wonderful story about two gangs of boys in small town Ireland. Instead of beating each other up, the victors cut off the shirt buttons of their victims. There is a wonderful moment when some older boys want to find out whether 'tosspot' is a dirty word so they get a little lad to go and say it to the village priest. The older boys line up at their classroom window to watch the reaction!! Underlying this basic plot is the story of one gang member who is physically abused by his father. I can't wait to watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children playing at war and not a computer in sight!, 8 Jun. 2013
This review is from: War Of The Buttons [DVD] (DVD)
saw this movie a few years ago and reminded me of my childhood in the sixties playing in the local woods and fields not a care in the world, the happiest time of my life! feel so sorry for the children of our time not safe today what a waste of childhood very highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite childhood movie, 6 May 2008
i loved this movie, watching it over and over again everytime it was on tv. I just wanted to be in it. Have the HQ and marry either fergus or geranimo!

War Of The Buttons [DVD]
War Of The Buttons [DVD] by John Roberts (DVD - 1995)