on 13 January 2013
Working with bike chains is fiddly. Whether freeing a siezed link, adding or removing links or replacing a chain, it can be fiddly and frusrating work. But it's work that you don't have to do very often, so it's tempting to economize when buying a tool for the job.I've been riding and maintaining bikes since I was 7, and built my first bike at ten, so I have used many of these tools, of varying quality, so I should hve learned my lesson. I have now. This is ABSOLUTELY THE VERY WORST I HAVE EVER USED.Every part is poorly made,wobbly and ill-fittng.The handle that is screwed into the bottom comes unscrewed and falls out.The rubber ends of the T-bar which screws in fall off constantly,so the T- bar falls apart.It doesn't quite centre properly, so when you can keep all the bits together the results are hit and miss,and you risk bending and damaging links.It turns the whole exercise into a farce. This thing should not be on sale. Even a cheapo version like this needs to be fit for purpose, and this doesn't even come close. Seriously, just don't buy it. Or do, and get your friends round to laugh at you while you are trying to use it
on 6 November 2012
I received this and found out the same day that it was a piece of junk. Perhaps there is a version of this that actually does the required job, but a bike "chain breaker" that can't break a bike chain is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

In my case the threads were knackered inside the mechanism, so each time it got to the crucial point, where it should be pressing the pin out, it just jumped back a thread or two.

To make matters worse the seller then referred me to the manufacturer saying that the manufacturer provides a lifetime guaranty. I reminded the seller that within 30 days it is up to them to provide a refund or replacement. Seller did not reply.

Disappointed with both the product and the seller.

My advice - buy this if you want to but I would say chances are better than 50/50 it will be junk.
on 4 June 2013
I wasn't expecting much at under four quid delivered, being about the cheapest chain breaker out there, but as I have found with other Silverline tools it did the job without any fuss. Yes, the pin does not line up perfectly, but that's because it needs to slide in the screw mechanism. If you take your time and line the pin up as you tighten the screw, it easily drives the link pin out without too much pressure. If threads are stripping or parts bending you really are doing something wrong!

My only complaint is that it was not easy to see (although I found out after as this is shown on the packaging) that you should not fully remove the link pin from the last outer link, making re-assembly easier. I spent a couple more minutes with a small pair of pliers gently seating the link pin before putting back in the tool and winding back together. All in, about a 10 minute job.

I'm sure with care this tool will last a lifetime (if I dont lose it first). Then again this was the first, and probably last, chain I have needed to shorten.
on 10 September 2013
None of the gaps were large enough to fit the bike chain. Maybe there are bike chains that fit, but all I know is mine didn't! I don't have any expertise to offer so would say make sure you know your chain is compatible with this tool. Otherwise, don't buy this.
on 9 March 2013
Considering the price of this item I'd say it pretty decent for what it is.
I've managed to use it to break a few chain links now, even crappy older ones covered in filth which took a fair bit of force, and this has worked fine.

Yeah it's true what other reviews have said about the pin being a bit flimsy, but as long as you don't go at it like some clumsy brute you'll be fine.
For someone like me who just needed it for the occasional change of chain, it's not worth spending 10 times as much on something better and this will do fine.
on 24 July 2013
For occasional use this product is fine. I had mislayed my Park tool but did find this better than other comments had suggested after successfully using it with no major problem. I would describe myself as an intermediate experienced cycle mechanic and perhaps those more experienced are too picky ( a bit like snobby Apple users look down on Android and other products lol) and those less experienced may want the extra reliability of say a Park tool?. For the price and as a back up spare, I believe this is of reasonable spec!
on 18 August 2012
Works fine, but a bit weak and has bent on first use, but not enough to prevent me from using it. Satisfied but probably better products out there.
on 15 June 2016
I need to put chains on two bikes. The day the product arrived I went about doing this. The first chain went on fine but when I went to do the second chain the thread inside the tool went after taking the old chain off, leaving me with a useless lump of metal that doesn't screw and one bike with no chain. I need to buy another one now. It was probably just bad luck as these things happen to threads but 10 minutes use just wasn't enough value for money for me.
on 4 August 2013
It did the job for me but didn't wanna pay to much at the time either. Other customers had stated their pin bent and I can confirm its true. Pretty sure there are better ones out there than this but for the price you can't really complain. My advice is make sure you pin in your link is perfectly in line before tightening. Better yet, spray link with a little GT spray or WD-40 beforehand just to be sure because the pin WILL bend. Mine survived....just!
on 25 June 2012
This tool is excellent, it does what it is designed to do and is good value. Would reccomend it to all bike enthusiasts.