4.0 out of 5 stars Bible of the DeaD
Good story well written. Some of the events mentioned are
quite horrfying, but they are historic fact none the less.
It just goes to show the level of research that Tom Knox
must go to achieve the finished product.I wonder where Tom
wil pick for his next adventure??
Published on 31 May 2011 by john Osborne

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best
Having read his last two books I was excited to read this, his latest book. However, in my opinion this book does not live up to the rest.

Published on 7 May 2011 by Love to Read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, 7 May 2011
This review is from: Bible of the Dead (Paperback)

It starts well with an archaeological discovery in a french cave which is hushed up and an english journalist/photographer getting involved in some work with a UN investigation into the Khymer Rouge in Laos to 'get his break'. Similar to his last book the two eventaully meet up and end up working together. It is laced with the more gruesome aspects of human nature which I expect from this author, but is not backed up by any substance.

One section is confusing and poorly edited as he talks about one character, then gets the name wrong and talks about another. Other sections are simply unbelievable, for instance a 'depressed' chimpanzee from a science research lab which formally working in animal~human hybridisation attempting to rape one of the women! The ending is a big let down and leaves you wondering what was the point of bothering to finish.

It is as though the author is trying to be deep and meaningful in opposition to the communist regimes / Marxism that were imposed by Pol Pot, Mao and in the former USSR. Unfortunately any interest or depth is lost due to the dreary characters, poorly written plot and bad editing. Good basis for a story, let down by being seemingly rushed out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same book different name, 6 Feb 2012
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lost Goddess (Hardcover)
As per the review by other reviewer this book is "Tom Knox's book Bible of the Dead" under a different name.

That said if you have not read Tom Knox's book Bible of the Dead, then its a good pool side read, the characters are well written, the plot is interestingly implausible. Basically its a good poor mans Indiana Jones crossed with your everyday Dan Brown style conspiracy.

Fun , Lots of action, and no real brain power required.

Worth reading by the pool or on the train, but not for serious reading time.

(Parm)

(From Back of Book)
In the silent caves of deepest France, young archaeologist Julia Kerrigan unearths an ancient skull, with a hole bored through the forehead. After she reveals her discovery, her colleague is killed in suspicious circumstances.

Meanwhile, in the jungles of south-east Asia photographer Jake Thurby is offered a curious assignment by a beautiful and determined Cambodian lawyer who is investigating finds at the mysterious 2000-year-old Plain of Jars. Finds which the authorities have gone to great lengths to keep secret. No one knows why.

Back in England, an aged professor has been brutally and elaborately murdered. The murder remains unsolved.

As the archaeologist, lawyer and photographer pursue their separate quests to discover the truth, an underlying pattern begins to emerge, which connects these far-flung events in the most terrifying and unimaginable way. And it soon becomes clear that those who seek to unlock the compelling puzzle will be risking very much more than their lives.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, monotonous, boring and predictable!, 1 Oct 2011
H. Corrin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bible of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear. Bought this on the strength of Knox`s previous work - that was my first mistake. Continued to read it even though I wanted to delete it - my second mistake. Thought it would go somewhere - third mistake. If you like descriptions of car journeys in real time and descriptions of the view from the car window in the dark for page after repetetive page, go ahead and waste your money. And you`ll probably guess the plot-twist at the end about 10% of the way through like I did. Apart from all that, a great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bible of the DeaD, 31 May 2011
Good story well written. Some of the events mentioned are
quite horrfying, but they are historic fact none the less.
It just goes to show the level of research that Tom Knox
must go to achieve the finished product.I wonder where Tom
wil pick for his next adventure??

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Bible of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
Having read and enjoyed Mr Knox's two previous books, I was really looking forward to this.

This is definitely his best work, not resting on his laurels but learning and improving from his previous works.

What any good thriller should do is introduce you to new facts and history, make you wish you were one of the characters in the story and in the locations they were in.

This achieves this in spades.

There are several unexpected twists in the tale, which make it a vastly enjoyable read and set it apart from the usual books of this genre.

1.0 out of 5 stars THE SAME BOOK DIFFERENT NAME, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Lost Goddess (Paperback)
TOM KNOX, BIBLE OF THE DEAD AND THE LOST GODDESS ARE THE SAME BOOK THEY HAVE JUST CHANGED THE COVER, NOW GOT TWO BOOKS THE SAME, NOT HAPPY,AMAZON SHOULD STOP SELLING THE SAME BOOKS UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES ITS JUST A CON

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Bible of the Dead (Paperback)
This is the only book I have ever read that I have been unable to finish. I found the violence to be really disturbing and the story itself took far to long to develope and to be honest I got bored with the over long narratives between the violent events. I did skip to the end to see what happened and I wish I hadn't because it left me feeling slightly sick. I usually really enjoy this type of book, but this one just left me with a very bad taste in my mouth and I certainly won't be attempting another by Mr Knox.

1.0 out of 5 stars Drearily written nonsense, 19 April 2011
P. Clarke (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bible of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
I feel very unhappy if I cannot or do not finish a book, shades of OCD, but with this rubbish, I had to. On every page there are inappropriate or silly metaphors. He really should read some Ernest Hemingway. One of the characters, Chemda, keeps on saying "Ah" and "Hn". It is most irritating. The characters were two dimensional.
All in all avoid this nonsence. I felt that it was an insult to my education.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different title for Bible of the Dead, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Lost Goddess (Hardcover)
I almost bought this until I did a search online and realised that this is a different title for Tom Knox's book Bible of the Dead which I'd already bought and read last year! Apparently, this is the title given to the book outside of the UK. So if you have already read that one, don't bother with this!

1.0 out of 5 stars A total disappointment, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: Bible of the Dead (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a work colleague and I was looking forward to reading it. Now that I have, I can say that it is one of the worst books I have had the misfortune to read. I found it slow, jumbled and confusing in places, not to mention unpleasant to read in parts. The characters seemed a little flat and to be honest I struggled to finish it and when I did, found the ending terrible. All in all a very disappointing book and I certainly will not be reading any more novels by this author.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›