1,051 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so dull
Yes, many of the other reviewers are right. As I read this the first time, I was frustrated. It didn't really follow some of my fav characters, as they appear in book 5 (A Dance With Dragons). And even the first 2/3 of ADWD follow the same template as this one, there's much more talk and much less action than in the previous titles. Many characters travel long roads and...
Published on 11 April 2012 by AGGESWE

2.0 out of 5 stars ...my kingdom for an editor
well you kinda knew it had to happen sooner or later. it took robert jordan 6 books before it all started to fall apart so i guess george is about on track. i'm coming to the conclusion that you can only write so many pages on one project before it starts to eat itself.
the author sums it up in the first line of his aknowledgements...to start with the good bits: the...
Published on 22 Nov 2005 by lazynine

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the other reviews *No spoilers*, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
If this was a stand alone book, or the series finished here I would not give it 4 stars, but I feel this book is necessary and important to the series as a whole.

Another review stated that the author could have shortened all the character's stories and added in more events and action. I disagree. George Martin has created us a world and in depth characters, and I for one would not like to skip any of their stories just so I could have more battle scenes.

The events in this book centre around King's Landing and most of the politics therein. The next book happens at the same time as this one and has more of the "action". A Feast for Crows is not boring in the slightest, but it does lack the nail biting tension of the earlier books. It remains a gripping, well written book and I plan to include it in my repeated re-reads of the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow, 29 July 2011
Aftering watching a few episodes of GOT on the TV I went out and purchased the books and could barely put down the first 3, the pace was good the stories twisted and turned and the world came to life.
Then I picked up Crows and for the first time found myself putting down the book to do something more interesting. This seemed to move at such a slow pace, and nothing happened...
It reminded me of other books at this type of stage they have alot of pages alot of dialogue and small stories but when it came down to it 90% could have been ditched and the 10% left would have been a better book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good continuation of the story but not very exciting!, 18 Aug 2009
Have recently read the series of books in quick succession and have been well and truly hooked.

However, this was disappointing in comparison with previous books. Maybe GRRM should have explained that half the characters would be missing at the beginning instead of the end of the book?

Also, if you're going to tell half a story you shouldn't leave people waiting years for the other half! I'm lucky in that I am only now finishing this book and only have months to wait until the next installment.

Anyway, enough with the gripes about how the book was published, the book itself is not quite up to GRRM's previous, extremely high, standards.

There's no Tyrion, Daenaerys or Jon (3 of my favourite characters) but plenty of the rather boring Sansa!

The story of Brienne and Jaime which I really enjoyed in previous books is not as exciting now they're apart and although Cersei is a key character you can have too much of a good thing!

The development of the crow's eye and the rest has been a welcome addition however but overall I can't help but feel slightly disappointed by this book when comparing it with the others.

Overall though, the story is developed nicely and things are really falling into place for when the Dragons arive and things really kick off!

3.0 out of 5 stars Confused story, 22 Oct 2011
When an author writes an apology at the end of a book about the way they have written it, you begin to realise why you were so confused reading the book. The author likes to start a storyline but not to finish it, only for the reader to find out what happened a number of chapter later by filling in the blanks themselves. It is still a good read and I will be reading the next book. If you like a flow to your stories then this is not for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame as GRRMartin loses the plot..., 6 Sep 2012
D. MACKENZIE (london, uk) - See all my reviews
..and the first 3 books were so good! Game of thrones, clash of kings, storm of swords, were truly epic books that made me believe that, YES, it is true, this is the American 'tolkien'...
ok forget that.
for the forth volume, GRRM has firstly done away with all the characters that you truly want to hear about (so no Tyrian, no Arya, no Dany, no Jon) and given us only weak characters who, frankly, i dont care about atall - Sam, Brienne are probably the best. Its not a good gamble. With these characters - and some new anonymous characters, there is hundreds of pages of nothing. The characters wonder round the kingdom on pointles ,insignificant journeys. The 'missions' if you can call them that, i couldnt understand why Martin was devoting so much time to them. Gone is the fantastic plotting and manuvering of the first 3 books. No battles, no page turning plots, no scandals or plots at all. Very disappointing. Furthermore - the book is the same approximate number of pages as the others, so we have hundreds of pages of insignificant, boring, dull detail to digest.
Its such a pity, the 1st 3 books were fantastic. i have to give this book 1 star, its truly terrible. Where is the editor? obviously by now, Martin is surrounded by yes men who tell him his every word is a work of glory. A true shame. Avoid this dull heap of boredom at all cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Characters, New Places, New Horrors, 4 July 2012
I almost didn't buy this book because of the negative reviews and the litany of complaints about the quality of this book compared with the first three. I'm glad I wasn't swayed. True, some of the prominent characters from the first three books (who still survive) are missing, notably Tyrion and Daenerys as POV characters; but they are there in spirit and their (mis)deeds continue to influence the actions of the other main characters. With them missing, and a number of other characters killed off, who supplies the POV? Well, a number of new characters, sometimes only inhabiting one chapter; but unlike some reviewers I found that the new characters added a new dimension to the book, which together with the flashbacks to times long gone, added flesh to the bones of a rip-roaring adventure to make it a true classic.

The landscape is as dark and dreary as before but with new horrors. Perhaps the most understated is Qyburn, who carries out unspeakable acts in the deep dungeons of Kings Landing - well, maybe not always unspeakable, as some of the torture scenes are described in horrible detail. As always decapitated heads, rotting flesh, maiming, disfigurement and cannibalism are well covered in the writing, brought into vivid contrast by descriptions of juicy oranges being enjoyed in Sunspear the capital of Dorne. Meanwhile we get an in depth look at the Ironborn people, with their fiercely proud but cruel code of conduct. This is typified by the idea that going to sea without wearing full armour is craven because it shows that you are afraid of drowning; a novel, but somewhat warped concept!

One of the key elements in this book is the emphasis given to the different religions and their growing importance, which first became apparent in "A Clash of Kings" with the murder of Renly. Also, the divide between the living and dead is becoming blurred (Watch out for The Hangwoman!), possibly paving the way for fresh horrors from beyond the wall in the next books of the series.

Apart from the price of the Kindle edition, the only other area in which I would agree with some of the negative reviews is the complexity of the plot and the vast number of characters, often with similar names. To make it even worse, a couple of the characters change their name, and in one case the new name is used as a POV character. To follow all of this you either have to have an excellently organised memory, or read the book in one mammoth session. Failing that, do as I did - cheat! The only way I can manage the books in this series is to read them with a concordance alongside. As I mentioned in a previous review I have found a couple of Apps for the iPhone which work well for me. Game of Thrones - Wiki (online) and Game of Thrones Companion (offline). By occasionally referring to one, or both of these, I can just about keep my head above water (no reference to the Ironborn intended) and enjoy this masterpiece.

3.0 out of 5 stars Necessary Evil, 20 Mar 2012
Mr. C. W. Curtis "Chris Curtis" (Norfolk U.K) - See all my reviews
I'm not going to waste my time and yours writing a pretentious review covering all the reasons why I feel this book isn't as good as the previous ones but just be assured it isn't.

Obviously if you've got this far you, like me you will continue to read everything Mr Martin produces in this series.
I just felt it got a little tied up in itself. This episode spends even less time on action and events and more on plot/character building and for the first time I found myself getting confused at the depth.(maybe more my failings than Mr Martins). Thank the seven gods for A Wiki of Ice and Fire!

That aside there are "some" exciting parts that literally had me unable to put it down.

Another observation is the increasing "titillation" in relation to the sexual scenes. I'm certainly no prude but it seems a little excessive for the sake of "sex sells" for me.

I still enjoyed it and would recommend. Just not quite up to Book 3 (part 1 and 2) which is my personal favourite.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dirth Of Dragons, 12 July 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed the first three books in the series, managing to (somehow) cope with a personae dramatis that makes the castlist of Cleopatra read paltry in comparison.

However I think I've reached my personal limit now as to how many more irrelevant characters I need to be introduced to. Is it really necessary to give us a chapter featuring five? six? random whores with their names, what they're wearing, their background, who we will never meet again, who bring nothing but futher words and even more characters to the party, which is already thronging with nephews, cousins, fourth cousins of what seems like a trillion different families?

I'm exhausted.

I've given up trying to keep track of all those people, all those fourth, fifth marriages, 16 bastards and gods knows what else.

Dear author, give us a break.

Please.

Just get on with THE STORY.

Give us some interesting, relevant things that move the story forward, or points of view on the story that are more interesting.

There is no need for this what I can only perceive as delaying tactics.

There is plenty of stuff to write a thousand more stories about this world, past, future and present. More than there's time left on this plane for the author to ever begin to explore or write down. Which is what worries me. Will the author live long enough to get around to Daenerys Targaryen ever mounting a dragon?

Will I?

I'll give Book 5 a chance.

Book Four was exhausting, disappointing and definitely suffering from a dirth of dragons.

3.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity, 14 Sep 2010
I hate the cynicism and aspersions that Martin often seems to be subject to online as it's only fair to judge the guy on the books he's written, not the hows and whys of the books he hasn't. Unfortunately, I think it is fair to judge him harshly for this novel, which is by far the weakest novel in the series. As one of the other reviewers says, the book doesn't really go anywhere (a certain item of armour comes to symbolise this). Why this should have happened I don't know: the previous novel was, in my opinion the height of the series - the way in which Martin shattered convention was shocking and exhilarating, he also, rather to my surprise, seemed to have injected interest into characters I'd found dull, AND worked around the limitations of his structure: brilliant. I had to go straight to the shops to get this even though I was in Portugal, and despite knowing the series was very unfinished. Then with this novel, instead of starting to drive the series to some kind of conclusion he decided to broaden the scope. Very slowly. A strange decision and very disappointing.

Still, the writing is enjoyable enough and there are some okay moments - but they are hard-earned. What I'd really like from the next book is for Martin to let two of his original characters bump into each other! Most fantasy may be absurd and contrived in its use of coincidence, but this series is almost becoming absurd due to the lack of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 5 Jan 2006
The variable set of reviews here should tell you that GRRM has dished up a mediocre installment of the Song of Ice and Fire. The nuts and bolts of the book are all rock solid, he's a master craftsman when it comes to writing this type of fantasy book, so its still an easy enough read. Trouble is, the story is extremely ragged and tedious in places. He's evidently gotten into a mess with the overall structure of the series, and feels that he can't pick up the story from 'A Storm of Swords' without broadening the whole thing out and bringing in some new voices. He does this, but so much of it is colourless and dramatically flat:
Brienne, wandering aimlessly around the place.
Sam, on a ship, sailing to Oldtown.
Everything to do with Dorne.
Even Jaime, one of the strongest characters, doesn't really develop or do much of note.
To be fair, there are still some great narratives. The travails of Cersei in King's Landing is brilliantly done, Arya is exciting as always and I liked Sanya and Littlefinger's parts as well for some reason, even though they are fairly static.
When the author concludes a book with an apology, as GRRM does here, effectively saying 'Sorry that the exciting characters and storylines are all absent, they'll be back soon' you know he must be wrestling with some deep-rooted problems with the text. I really hope that 'A feast for crows' has enabled him to get all of his ducks in a row and that he knocks em all over in the next book and produces an epic. The first three Ice and Fire books are the best high fantasy there is, nothing else is in the same league. He's hit a definite plateau here, but its not so bad that he can't pull things together next time out. Go George!