5.0 out of 5 stars “Dead, all dead but me, and I am dead to the world”
The confrontation among the different candidates to the throne in this third book in the series is heating up, and the supernatural elements begin to have more and more relevance. Joffrey Baratheon is currently sitting as acting king, but there are several challengers to his power, including his “uncle” Stannis, Robb Stark, the king in the north, and the last...
Published on 28 Nov 2005 by Sebastian Fernandez

3.0 out of 5 stars a build up for what's to come
This book bridges the gap from one set of leading characters to a whole new set. Ending one story and setting up for a new one.
Published 9 months ago by ramabastet

‹ Previous | 132 33 3438 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crowning Achievement of a Talented Writer, 16 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This is by far the most ambitious project from George R.R. Martin and I am inclined to believe that it will be his best. If he comes up with anything much better after this series is done with, I'll...erm...read it...erm
Anyway, this is probably unlike any fantasy you've read before, if you're like most other people. It has just recently emerged from relative obscurity(I just found out about it a year ago:). For one thing, it is much better than the other best selling series such as the Wheel of Time by Jordan or The Sword of Truth by Terry Brooks(ESPECIALLY the latter). It moves away from the black-and-white, good vs. evil, prophecy filled formula that has dominated the fantasy genre. This gives the author unlimited freedom to spin a good yarn.
This series also differs from other series in the fact that it gets better with each successive installment. It almost ALWAYS the other way around. George R.R. Martin improves noticeably between each books and since the first one was exquisite, you should be able to imagine the quality of this third book.
Buy this book, read it, lend it to a friend or buy it for them as a gift. Do whatever it takes to spread the joy.
A warning however, this series is not for the faint of heart. If you don't ever want to feel sad or depressed when reading a fantasy, don't pick this book up. If you're willing to brave the journey, the reward will be amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dense enrapturing storytelling unleashed, 15 Aug 2000
R. Razib - See all my reviews
I read ASoS in 18 hours straight, puncuated by an hour to two for bodily functions and food. So I give it a *hearty* 5 stars. So first, the problems (of which a there have to be in a book pushing 1000 pages). It's not stand-alone, so don't start on this book (start with GAME OF THRONES obviously). ASoS is probably a better book than either GoT or CoK, simply because the previous books have set the backdrop for much of the action. Because of the many viewpoints (more that it's easy to keep track of sometimes) you lose characters for as long as a hundred pages, and I suspect many people will be tempted to skip pages to follow their characters uninterrupted narrative. On the other hand, since most of the viewpoints are very interesting, you might not (I only skipped at all in the last 50 pages-during the protracted end-game). There are also long stretches (too portracted for even my morbid taste!) where disaster and death stalk those who the reader most sympathizes with. The light is dying in this series...and some readers will latch onto the hope provided by the flickering flames that guide us through this demon-haunted world, while others will recoil and perhaps move onto brighter fare (perhaps David Eddings or even now unfortunately David Drake-where you can be rest assured to get the old fantasy cliches wrapped up nicely at the end to warm your heart). A few of the characters we have known peripheraly dissapear for the whole book (one of the Stark children for instance), and that might disquiet some (though GRRM is no doubt waiting to spring another surprise on us). OK....to the ***GOOD POINTS*** This book is denser than GoT, it has more action, more emotional moments, and more character development (the emphasis on *character*). It also has more depth and richness that CoK. All in all, it synthesizes the best elements of the previous two books very well, explaining perhaps its length visa vi its predecessors. Some of the author's forshadowing in the previous books comes true, rewarding those who read closely, while a great many surprises await those who treat the narrative as if it's ammendable to their dissection. The mood of the book is somber, but enough happiness peppers it show that we aren't reading some bizarre morality tale. All in all, prepare yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Aug 2000
The book gets off to a slow start, but picks up after about 100 or so pages. There are many genuine surprises, though some of them have been foreshadowed so much that the observant reader may be expecting them. Characters live and die, and Martin manages to create a sense that almost anyone could be killed; in fact of all the characters in the book, there are only 4 that I never believed were in danger of being killed off. Old mysteries are resolved, often in unexpected and perhaps not totally convincing ways, and new mysteries set up, though two of the biggest remain uncertain. One of the best features of the book is the way we see characters redeemed in some ways, and others continue on their slow path towards redemption. There are few one dimensional villains, though Ser Gregor and Joffrey both fit that description and Tywin and Cersei are not the most complicated of people. For the most part though, characters have good and bad in them and many are willing to commit terrible acts for what they believe to be a greater good. I eagerly await volume 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, simply amazing, 14 Aug 2000
Amazon Customer "jlarke" (Saline, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
What Jordan has failed to do with _The Wheel of Time_, Martin is succeeding at with _A Song of Ice and Fire_. An epic story, with sprawling scope and a large cast, yet with solid characterization and true humanity.
_A Storm of Swords_ continues in this vein. Characters you thought were evil become grey. Allies become treacherous. And most impressively, Martin has a knack for wrapping up subplots and creating new ones in a way that maintains forward momentum and keeps you coming back for more. Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. The day I began reading it, I remained awake until 9am in a vain attempt to finish it.
All in all, a superior book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody hell. GRRM outdoes himself., 14 Aug 2000
Daniel O'Connor (Sussex) - See all my reviews
So what do Eddings, Goodkind and Jordan have to say about this, then? Could any of them even conceive of anything like this?
Echoing the sentiments of a previous reviewer, there is nothing predictable about this series of books. Just when you think you've got a handle on things and can reason out what's coming, along comes something to shock you. As shown so memorably in A Game of Thrones, no one - no one - is safe in this world. No doubt George RR Martin has a lot of love and sympathy for his characters, but don't think for a minute that means they're going to get out of the book alive.
Great pacing and characterisations mean there are no off-periods in this book, although there are many mini-cliffhangers in the chapters following each main character which tempt you to rush ahead to see what happened (resist!).
Anything bad to say about this book? Like when A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings came out, modern Fantasy is now ruined for me for the next few months. I can't go back to reading the same old derivative, predictable, gutless stuff I was used to before. Any chance of churning out A Dance of Dragons in the next year or so?

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 12 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I just finished ASOS, and it was great! I will surprise you like none other. Its very unpredictable, Its hard to belive its only the 3rd book with many events taking place. You will find answers to mysterys and will given many more in it's place. You will see many more viewpoints and see things in characters you never knew. And in the end you will only be thinking about whats going to happen next!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is everything for which you have waited...., 11 Aug 2000
A Storm of Swords delivers on the promising beginnings of A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. This is a very dark book, and one does not want to overly dwell on some of the more gory moments, if one has an active imagination. This is a series that the reader will certainly want to buy two copies of; one for him- or herself, and one for a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-rending, heart-wrenching, amazing and unforgettable, 8 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I just finished reading A Storm of Swords and I can say is Wow and I want book 4 of the series now, I dont think I can wait another couple of years. Storm of Swords is the last book in the first part of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" and as an epilogue of sorts it does answer some questions and solve some of the mysteries ... But that is only one small part of the book, there is no lull, something happens on almost every page, something that will make you sob or laugh, will tear you heart out or make you cheer. I can't recommend this book enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but slightly disappointing binding, 26 April 2012
Robbin (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(note: I am not a native English speaker, and I apologize for any mistakes there might be in this review) As I was relatively new to A Song of Ice and Fire and liked the appeal of having a nice set of books on my shelves, I purchased the hardback (reissue) edition published by Voyager/HarperCollins. I will not review the content of the story itself, as I believe that there are already plenty of quality reviews out there - rather, I will comment on the printing and binding quality of the books.

As usual, delivery was fast and the books arrived in good condition. They are larger and heavier than the mass-market paperbacks and having read both, I can say that these editions are a more pleasant read (if, of course, you are not planning on going anywhere). I was disappointed to see that the pages were glued instead of bound, as I believe that a glued binding is a lot less durable (the binding 'breaks' rather than 'bends'). It remains to be seen how the binding will hold up after a few reads.

The paper, however, is of good quality and so is the printing. I have noticed that after reading the book, the shiny letters on the dust jacket are starting to flake. This is an issue I have encountered with all the other hardbacks of A Song of Ice and Fire published by HarperCollins.

Overall though, I am quite satisfied with my purchase. However, if you want to have a 'proper' binding, I would suggest you to go with the American hardback editions published by Random House/Bantam Books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refers to Kindle version, 2 Aug 2011
A. J. Kent "keep shopper" (london, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Storm of Swords Complete Edition (Two in One) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Very good book, although the kindle version does not work well - my kindle could not identify part 2, so when my daughter accidentally stuck me at the start of part 1, it was unable to take me to the page I had been reading by any means other than guessing at the location! the "go to page..." function didn't help at all, as it thought that part one was the sum total off the book. Same applies to the "go to latest page read".

Otherwise very good book.

‹ Previous | 132 33 3438 | Next ›