5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
I loved THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy Those books have stayed with me, and I think about their meaning in my life and in society. I like it when a book not only entertains me but is so well-written that I have to keep looking to find hidden meaning.

Published on 14 Jun 2011 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks
As most of you will already know I loved The Hunger Games books!
I've been eyeing up this book for a while now and decided to buy it, as soon as it arrived I started reading it!

The Girl Who Was On Fire is a collections of YA authors giving their thoughts on different aspects on The Hunger Games trilogy.

To me this book was a huge let down. I...
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by littlepinkstars44

3.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Girl Who Was on Fire (Paperback)
As most of you will already know I loved The Hunger Games books!

To me this book was a huge let down. I really had much higher hopes for it. Don't get me wrong, all the points argued by the authors are interesting and make sense but they isn't really much in here that I didn't already think for myself after reading the series. I think out of the whole book there was only two articles that I really enjoyed and which made me stop and think about Panem and the whole concept of The Hunger Games.

All the rest of the articles brought up points which I had previously discussed with other bloggers who have read The Hunger Games series or had thought about myself. So there wasn't really much in this book for me.

I am glad I bought it though, it was interesting to see other peoples perspectives of the games and the characters in the books. As a fan of the series I'm pretty much going to buy anything with Mockingjay logo on it anyway. The book will be a great addition to my Hunger Games collection and will probably prove itself useful in the future when the movies come out, it will more of a reference book to me rather than hunting through the Hunger Games books themselves to find quotes or a certain chapter.

If you are a massive fan of the series, I'd say buy it anyway but don't expect too much.

3.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking reader for big fans of the series, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
Also posted at Rinn Reads (...)

This review will contain spoilers for The Hunger Games trilogy.
Last week, whilst browsing NetGalley and eagerly awaiting the arrival of The Hunger Games on DVD (finally!), I spotted this. As I am a ridiculous fangirl, I instantly jumped at the chance to read more about Katniss, Peeta, Gale et al. As the first essay of the book proclaims, I was 'hungry for The Hunger Games' (ho ho ho).

From the very beginning, the book raised many questions that I - completely sucked in by the story of The Hunger Games trilogy - never really asked myself. If I was a citizen of Panem, would I follow the coverage of the games as eagerly as rest? Would I see the barbaric show for what it really was? I would like to think I'd be disgusted by the very idea, but in all honesty I would probably just be like all the others, which is really quite shameful. I found myself questioning why it is I like the series so much - is it the story, the characters, the way it's written - or could it be, that like the citizens of Panem, I'm easily drawn in by promises of violence, unable to look away? A scary thought.

After reading this collection of essays, I now realise I didn't know Katniss that well - as one essay points out, she shocks the reader when she kills Coin rather than Snow. Some readers may have seen that coming, but I certainly didn't. In fact, Katniss barely knows herself. I'm also reminded why I love the trilogy - yes, it's a Young Adult novel, of which there are an abundance these days; yes, there's a love triangle; yes, there's a female heroine/protagonist - but it's all so different. Katniss is strong, for one, but not obviously so. She knows how to survive and overcomes so many obstacles. She may be scarred at the end, but she works slowly through it. She has no time for romance - what a breath of fresh air!

One particular stand out point in these essays was the fact that Suzanne Collins really thought about her characters names. I knew whilst reading the series myself that the Capitol was based on ancient Rome, the citizens of the Capitol had the names of prominent Romans. But what I didn't think of was the fact that Katniss is a tough, durable plant, as Katniss is a tough, durable character; whereas Prim and Rue are delicate plants, and fragile characters. The stand out articles to me were by 'Reality Hunger' by Ned Vizzini, which intertwined his own experiences of media exposure with Katniss'; and 'Not So Weird Science' by Cara Lockwood, a fascinating look at genetic science and its possibilities in the real world.

Brett Hartinger's criticism of Mockingjay - which he didn't enjoy at all - was a brave move in a book created for fans. I felt that it balanced the book out, and gave it a more professional element - it wasn't just continual praise. What is especially interesting is that when I have spoken to people about the trilogy, most of them, including myself, consider Catching Fire the weaker of the three books. It was interesting to see it from another viewpoint.

I also had a few issues with the collection. Many quotes from the trilogy were used to illustrate points, and I feel they should have included page numbers for easy reference. I would have also liked some continuity - some authors felt the need to use quotation marks, others did not - it would be best if they all had, as sometimes it wasn't entirely clear where a quotation started or ended. One contributor also constantly referred to Katniss as 'Kat', which irritated me - though that is just a personal preference and I'm sure many other readers wouldn't be bothered.

Finally, Brett Hartinger claimed that none of the events in the latter half of Mockingjay were as memorable as the ones in The Hunger Games. The very sudden, unexpected deaths of Finnick and Prim? The bombing of the hospital? The variety of pods in the streets? The lizard mutts? All of those moments are just as memorable to me as those in The Hunger Games, in some way they are more memorable because by that point I'd spent more time with those characters, so the deaths were more shocking.

I was considering giving this book a 4 star rating, but when I compare it to other 4 star books I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I enjoyed them, so I am instead giving it a very solid 3 stars. I would heartily recommend it if you're a big fan of the series. Between starting to read the book, and writing the review, my DVD of The Hunger Games finally arrived. After reading this book, I now feel I can watch it with a new perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Jun 2011
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Girl Who Was on Fire (Paperback)

When I saw this book with essays written by different YA authors on various aspects of THE HUNGER GAMES, I had to read it.

There are essays on how the fashion influenced the rebellion, the reason why Katniss chose Peeta, and how reality shows affect the society of today and led up to the Hunger Games of Panem. There are funny pieces and serious works that really make you think.

I really enjoyed the essay by Blythe Woolston about the mental health of the tributes and how that explains many of the problems of their society. I also liked the one on the politics of MOCKINGJAY and the revolution.

If you want to take THE HUNGER GAMES to the next level, then you may find these essays enlightening.

Reviewed by: Marta Morrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Good critique of the series, 30 Mar 2012
DKB (London, England) - See all my reviews
I'm a not so secret adult reader of the Hunger Games, so it was interesting to see a critical view of the stories, themes and impressions. Some of the points were quite laboured, but it's a nice companion piece to the original stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 20 Feb 2014
It's nice to read some essays about the books although to be honest a lot of it was things i'd already thought of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Jan 2013
This book is great for hunger games fans, it shows you all kind of perspectives of the book . A must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars An insight to the book, 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: Girl Who Was on Fire (Paperback)
This was a very informative book. Essays written by other Authors, explain in more detail the thinking of the books, from polictic to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, from Fashion to food. It's a great read and commpanion to the trilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars little snacks for hunger games fans, 14 Jan 2013
This felt like it had been produced in a bit of a rush and the quality of the essays included was variable. Nonetheless, it was good to read other people's insights into this intriguing trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read..., 11 Aug 2012
..from the minute you start reading this book you can't put it down.. I have since watched the Movie but the book is far more better.