4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it!
I've read all of the Preston/Child novels and a couple of the stand alone books before, but for some reason I had put off reading this for quite some time. Finally I got round to reading it and was glad I did.

Published on 8 Jan 2009 by Ca55idy

3.0 out of 5 stars "Coming soon to a cinema near you......."
If you're after something profound and literary, this is probably not for you.
Published on 19 Dec 2005 by G. L. Haggett

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it!, 8 Jan 2009
Ca55idy (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Paperback)

It's nothing new within the genre, we have the initial setup with a rock being discovered on the moon, a gnarly old prospector getting killed (no spoliers here - this all happens in the first couple of pages) and then on to the action.

I believe (but may be wrong here as my memory is sketchy) that the main character is from one of Douglas Preston's earlier novels (the Codex) but either way the good guys were suitably good and the bad guys equally bad. It was the perfect read over the christmas period where I could slip my brain into neutral and just enjoy the ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars Misleading hype - great thriller, 10 May 2009
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Paperback)
First off, park any Jurassic type expectations at the front cover. Appalling marketing on behalf of Pan Books could point your expectations in the wrong direction. Tyrannosaur Canyon is a slick, fast paced techno-thriller which will keep you glued to the very end. Appealing characters and a well conceived plot make Canyon a joy to read. The enemy is a little too stereotypical and any twists can be seen some way off, however neither detract from a well researched piece of adventure fiction. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Coming soon to a cinema near you.......", 19 Dec 2005
G. L. Haggett "glynlhaggett" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Hardcover)
If you're after something profound and literary, this is probably not for you.
If, on the other hand, you're looking for something to while away the hours on a long train or 'plane journey, this is a highly enjoyable read for the Grisham/Crichton fan, providing an action-packed mix of cod scientific intrigue, mystery and suspense, with a dose of ethics and politics thrown in for good measure.
It may be cynical to suggest that this book has been written with one eye on the film market, but there are a number of setpieces which will lend themselves to spectacular production in that medium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 23 Oct 2010
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Paperback)
This is an extremely good read. The story is implausible perhaps, but so what - this is fiction and therefore anything goes. The story stampedes along, the settings are interesting, there are a lot of entertaining characters and above all it is great, gung-ho fun. Never having read anything by Mr Preston before, I had no preconceptions about his writing. Having read this one I shall certainly try his other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK DOES NOT CONTAIN LIVING DINOSAURS!, 24 Aug 2007
Mr. M. Wright "Book_Marc" (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Paperback)
I picked this book up thinking it would run in a similar vein to Jurrasic Park, I was however wrong and the book doesn't contain any living dinosaurs. That being said however I still found this book incredibly interesting and because I couldn't put it down I managed to read it in two days! I think this would be an ideal book for holidays or long trips as it moves quickly and keeps you interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wyman Ford is my new hero, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Kindle Edition)
This novel is well-thought out and has a satisfying ending. I immediately purchased the next Wyman Ford book and enjoyed that too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tyrannosaur Canyon, 24 Feb 2013
Miss L. Charters "lyn16780" (Barnet, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Kindle Edition)
This was a thoroughly entertaining read. I believed in the characters and the storyline. More books like this are needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very exciting, but not what you expect from the cover, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Paperback)
I admit, I expected this book to be similar to Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park. It isn't, but this book doesn't disappoint! I agree with other reviewers who have said that the front cover is misleading, but if you ignore that and take the book as it comes it is a very good read. It is exciting, thrilling, full of twists and has characters you can believe in.

It reminds me a bit of the Da Vinci Code (but with dinosaurs) in that they are written in a similar way with short, easy to read chapters with characters being introduced one by one and built up over time. I did feel that sometimes the characters were rushed and lacked a bit of depth, but they are still believable. I did find it hard to figure out why exactly the baddies were after the fossil, it sometimes felt like they only wanted it for the sake of being bad, until it was explained at the very end. For me, the book was a bit too technical at times but this didn't stop me from enjoying it, it just proves how well researched the book is. Maps of the canyons would be a good addition to the back - sometimes I was completely lost and didn't really have a clue which canyon or Mesa was where!

I would definitely recommend this to fans of dinosaur books and thriller books, but I would warn them not to expect Jurassic Park!

5.0 out of 5 stars Attention grabber!, 19 Oct 2010
A. Salmons - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Paperback)
I have really enjoyed reading this book. I often read a book before I go to sleep, so I was looking for a good read. And this was it. I can highly recommend everybody to read this exciting publication. Once I had started reading and got into the plot, I just could not put it down. The author (Douglas Preston) keeps you wondering what the next chapter will unfold and never fails to grab your attention.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas, good thriller., 11 Nov 2005
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Hardcover)
This was a quick and easy read, engaging but not engrossing, interesting concepts but not mind-boggling. I didn’t like the really short chapters, finding that somewhat annoying. Generally, I enjoyed the story and its characters and the sub-plot added interest and a desire to see how everything was connected. I was kept interested and wanting to find out how it comes out. The chase scene through the desert could be abbreviated (it really kept going and going and going-like the batteries), but I suppose helps to build suspense. Not a great book, but certainly something for a weekend read. Also recommended: Bruce Huntly, Fusion (this is new author and I highly recommend this one!); Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point; John Grisham: The Broker; Michael Crichton: State of Fear.

Tyrannosaur Canyon