5.0 out of 5 stars Great Television
Bought this TV from Amazon after checking out a lot of other retailers and had actually decided to go for the TX-P42G30B when I saw this one.

It has now replaced a 6 year old Sony Bravia 40 Inche LCD TV and the difference in picture quality, even on standard Digital TV is hard to believe.
The colours are fantastic the reds are really RED!!, and the yellows...
Published on 15 May 2011 by Mr. Tommy O'Neill

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
Ive owned other Panasonic tv's and always found them to be excellent so i was really surprised with the picture quality from this set.
Motion isnt dealt with well at all and there was lots of blurring and streaking. On HD channels image quality is ok but standard def is really poor.
I allowed 100 hours running in time as per the AV forums to ensure the tv had...
Published on 5 Sep 2011 by Big Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Television, 15 May 2011
Mr. Tommy O'Neill "Tominator" (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews

The colours are fantastic the reds are really RED!!, and the yellows are really YELLOW !! and as you would expect from a plasma the blacks are really BLACK!!.

The TV itself looks much better built that the set it replaced, with metal panels being used at the back instead of Plastic, and the stand is a fairly substantial
metal affair. The only minor gripe would be that the stand has no swivel facility to help with getting the best viewing angle.
The TV actually looks smaller that the 40 Inche Bravia it replaced much to the delight of my missus, who was afraid that the wooden hippopotamus
that she had sitting on a shelf behind the TV would be obscured by a 42 inche monstrosity. (Her words not mine and she ate her words when she saw it installed).

Sound from the television even without the benefit of a home cinema system is great, better that you have any right to expect from such a thin TV.

I have attached a Panasonic Blue RAY home Cinema system to the television through one of its two HDMI sockets and the quality of the picture is outstanding, this
coupled with the excellent sound from the Cinema system takes the viewing of movies to a whole new level, our kids think its fantastic.

Yes the screen is shiny, and every now and again when very dark colours are on the screen, if you are looking really hard you can catch a glimpse of your reflection,
but to be perfectly honest it doesnt effect the viewing experience, and at the end of the day, when you buy a new Television thats what its all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great so me, and great value too, 25 April 2011
I'd done a lot of research on the web to decide whether I wanted a plasma, LCD or LED TV. Upon deciding a plasma was best for me, Panasonic always appeared to be at the top of the ratings, so not it was a choice of three TVs (I'd already decided on a 42" a long time ago). The Panasonic website provided a good comparison tool, which allowed me to determine that the two 'top' TVs had more functionality than I was ever going to use, so I chose the U30B.

I was up and running within 10 minutes of connecting everything up and turning it on, and everything was automatic. So much for Mr TV Arielman telling me that my current ariel could not pick up digital signals ... my Panasonic can.

The only issue is that it only has one SCART input. I have standard Sky and a DVD recorder, both of which require a SCART socket. My SCART splitter resulted in the Sky picture being unwatchable until the DVD recorder was put into standby. A bit of internet searching informed me that a SCART switch was required instead of a splitter. I was always going to upgrade to Sky + HD at some point, so I chose to do it now rather than spend money on a SCART switch (they are about 15).

I've had the TV for two days now, and the sound is good and the picture is very good. I've got a bit more playing with the setup to do when I read a bit more of the manual, but for the price ... I'm certainly not complaining. I would drop half a star for the missing SCART, but the reviews won't let me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Im glad I did the research!, 23 May 2011
Having spent numerous hours over the last couple of years researching TV's I know how daunting this technology can be.I didnt know what sort of TV to get, and then I was told that if you watch a lot of sport you need to get a plasma.Something to do with refresh rates or some such. So I took that advice on board. It soon became apparent that you cannot get a small screen plasma TV.Therefore the decision was made for me to go for a 42".I couldnt possibly go for a 50" unless I wanted to sit in the garden to watch it!
I purchased this TV to replace a 15 year old Grundig 28" huge lump of a thing, but I have to say that in those 15 years it never once developed any fault at all.Oh the memories of watching great sporting events on that old TV.England V Holland in Euro 1996 springs to mind.
I decided on this Panasonic after reading all the reviews I could find. Its easy to set up, and within 2 days it looks totally at home in my lounge. It doesnt look huge and it doesnt shout 'new telly'!
I purchased a Panasonic BluRay at the same time (both from Amazon)and that feed plus the V+ look fantastic.
I was fearful that I was going to spend my money and end up with a picture not noticeably better than my old Grundig, but I needn't have worried.Its a great TV, well built and subtly stylish.Great value for money and great service from Amazon as usual.

I just thought I would add a 3 month update, just to say that having lived with this TV for 3 months now I am even more impressed than I was initially.I am still amazed at the picture clarity even on non HD channels.I accept that you have to be careful where you put the TV due to the highly reflective nature of the screen, but other than that it is a real joy to watch each day.

Well it's very nearly 12 months now since I purchased this tv, and I have nothing negative to report. It does what it does exceptionally well. I'm glad I took the plunge and have never regretted this purchase.Even now I am amazed at the picture quality. HD continues to be a joy be it watching football or movies, and the screen size is large enough to be immersive yet it is not overpowering in average sized lounge.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: Panasonic TX-P50U30B 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Plasma TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
The title says it all. Buy this plasma if you want a WOW experience!

At first, I thought I had gone for overkill in terms of size, especially when the item was delivered to my house. However, just a week later, I was already dreaming of my next even bigger tv purchase :)

In terms of picture quality, it is fantastic. The HD Tuner works great and picks up all available freeview channels in a reasonably fast amount of time. The menus are very easy to use and contain a wide array of features to help you personalize your viewing experience. The blacks are pretty deep though you do need to spend some time configuring your brightness settings. I didn't care much for the pre-set ones...

The sound is loud and crisp for normal viewings. I have even seen movies without a home theatre connected and am satisfied with no complaints. You should not however, expect this to give you the sound and output which you would get from a home theatre as that is an entirely different ballgame.

I have noticed some ghosting effects even though this has a fast refresh rate but am still satisfied on the whole. The control is well built and feels just right in the hand though it would have been nice if it had been glow in the dark.

The HMDI inputs work beautifully and display crisp output for 1080 (full HD) movies with no lag or choppy pictures. The inbuilt resolution detection works beautifully too and adjusts the screen size accordingly to the native resolution of the movie or tv channel which is playing.

One review mentioned that it is reflective which is absolutely correct. You need to position it in your viewing room after some careful thought and planning with respect to your windows/mirrors. One does need to know before purchasing this that between the three technologies available (plasma, LCD and LED) plasma is deemed the most reflective and picks up ambient light easily. However, the plus side is that in terms of price, this technology gives you the biggest bang for your buck while giving you the natural colours you desire. LCD is also very affordable and offers you a less reflective screen but the colours are not as natural as in the case of plasma. LED gives you the best of both worlds with the least reflective screen, deep blacks and natural colours but at a much higher price so it all depends how deep your pocket is!

Now for the wish list....

Panasonic tv's come with SD card inputs and no USB. However, it would have been nice if Panasonic had included USB inputs too for external hard drives or cameras as that is still my input of choice over the SD card.

While the tv includes an ethernet input, it is supposedly meant only for online firmware upgrades (have not tried it yet). It would have been nice if this could have been used for going online since half the work has been done anyway by Panasonic by including the input!

I did find this item from another store at a cheaper price than what Amazon was offering (for a change) and am very happy with my purchase.

Just remember, in the world of home cinemas and plasma, LCD or LED tvs, bigger is better. Buy the best you can afford today and you won't regret it or want to upgrade your purchase for a longer period of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know anything about TVs, 15 May 2011
Got this TV last month from another retailer - never bought a big TV before.

Decided to avoid slightly cheaper manufacturers like LG, Samung & Toshiba - and spent a bit extra to buy a Panasonic Plasma - rather than a LCD.
Build quality is excellent, very solid, hefty & strong - no creaks. Classic design - nothing fancy, clean & black. Picture quality is great. No complaints. Very easy to setup. Playing Xbox has been great & watching HD TV is super.

In regards to the couple of comments:

Does anyone have anything that connects via scart? - perhaps an old VHS player...
The shiny screen is shiny. However i've not really noticed it - i'm sure it's a personal taste thing, but i've had no issues. Only spotted it when it's been switched off.
Very happy with my new TV. The fact that it's FullHD 1080P & very well built - i'm hoping that it should last me 10 years.
My negative point would be the design of the controller. Poorly laid out. Voulme change & channel change are the two most popular options - they should be nearer the top - rather than at the bottom. If anyone's got any questions i will do my best to answer.

UPDATE - still very happy with this however found out there's no VGA in - so couldn't connect it up to my old laptop. Admittedly all new laptops come with an HDMI now so not a huge issue going forward, but was a bit annoying! Deffo would've preferred a VGA to a Scart!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this TV, 20 May 2011
M. Howe "Mart492" (suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
Only had this set a matter of hours so maybe don't listen to me but on the other hand it's another opinion.
Absolutely knocked out by this set. I've given it five stars because I couldn't not but it does have a flaw but I don't think you can blame the TV for it. It's been mentioned earlier and it's the fact it reflects in sunlight.We have only one spot we can place our TV without causing disruption but as the sun's gone down the beautiful picture has gone from strength to strength. Granted this is our first plasma set but I can't imagine a better value for money TV. I've got it connected to a PS3 and a Humax HD Freesat recorder and I'm like a kid in a sweetshop (or even me in a sweetshop come to that). Now comes the confession I didn't buy mine from Amazon. I hate myself for it as I buy everything from Amazon but a few days ago I'm sure this set wasn't on Amazon at this price. So I brought it from Dixons at exactly the same price (440-85)(am I allowed to say that)I first saw it on special offer at Comet for 519 including delivery.Having seen it in the showroom I knew it was a lovely set. I then searched the web to get the best price. It's packed full of features and if your on a budget or got loads of money and don't want to give it away buy this set. You will not regret it. The other thing I will add is if you've not dealt with Amazon and I can't imagine that will be the case as surely the world shops at Amazon I recommend them above any other place on the web. I feel like I've been unfaithful with Dixons. One last comment "I love this set"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, 24 May 2011
I am really very pleased with my Panasonic TV. Having Freeview already installed is great - no extra trailing wires, very easy to set up and install the programmes. The plasma screen gives a wonderful picture. Delivery was very quick even though I ordered it over the Bank Holiday. Price and service well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV for the price, 24 Jun 2011
Graham Wade (Bordon, Hamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I spent a lot of time trying to decide which TV to replace our ageing 32" Panasonic CRT, eventually decided it needed to be plasma and then Panasonic and finally this and haven't regretted it at all. Compared to last years "neo Plasma" there is no difference as far as we could tell with really deep blacks rather than the usual grey of plasmas.

This TV is a basic set without a lot of the bells and whistles of the other sets in the range but it has everything I need, deep blacks, realstic flesh tones, high contrast and no flicker or lag. The menus are simple and logical, and the plain piano-black finish is acceptable. Playing with menus for half an hour, you soon realise that there are plenty of options to set the picture according to your tastes. Sound is excellent (for a TV) once set up correctly but for films would play through surround system anyway. The fast update rate is excellent for sports with no discenrable flicker. Only possible drawback is that the screen is very reflective and so needs careful sighting.

Cannot get HD yet but picture is excellent in SD mode and DVD's played through the component inputs are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plasma, 19 July 2011
Really wanted to get a 3D telly but wasn't that impressed by the picture quality, so looked at the plasma t.v's. This was definately the best we saw.

Went T.V shopping and picked this out purely for the picture qual;ity next to the other tellies on display. Neither of the shops we went to actually had it in stock for us to take away, so took the product name and looked on Amazon when we got home. Not only was it cheaper but it was delivered the next day!!

This is a really great telly, it was easy to set up and the picture/sound quality is crystal clear. I am a very happy shopper!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual excellent Panasonic quality!, 25 Jun 2011
Great picture, reasonable sound quality, easy set up and controls.
Best tv for the money.
Freeview HD tv not arrived in kent yet but the picture is brill and is also connected to a freesat HD box, so HD Picture experience is excellent!
Get a 1000 watt sound system for the ultimate cinema experience.
You wont regret buying this TV.

ARRAY(0xa3d1a0d8)