4.0 out of 5 stars a good simple yet thorough guide, 27 Jan 2010
J. Allen (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
What I particularly liked about this was how clearly it was laid out, how easy to read it was and the many step-by-step screen shots included.

This isn't an academic text book but a real, hands-on practical guide to actually doing it, and the content's layout was great so its easy to see what a section covers so that you can decide if you want to read it now or leave it til later.

I focused on section 3 - Marketing and found the advice to be sound and up to date. Its all logically laid out and clearly explained in a step-by-step manner with lots of screen shots so that really anyone could do it.

I didn't agree with everything, e.g. his simplification of Google's 'quality score' which, despite Google's "Don't be evil" company motto is not as innocent as is portrayed in the book [though to be fair to the author, probably no one outside Google knows the real algorithm]

I'd say that serious businesses should consider getting professional help with running their ADwords campaigns though unless they want to invest serious time into learning this black art.

So, YES YOU CAN do it yourself and this guide really will help you to do it. [you'll never know if you don't try]

5.0 out of 5 stars Springclean your Online Business, 19 Jan 2011
Richard Bell "wildlife illustrator" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
My website - I publish my own walks & local interest books - has been bumbling along for over a decade now and is in urgent need of a springclean, so I couldn't resist this step by step guide when I spotted it in Smiths; it's full of useful advice, updates to my decade-old html habits, insight, humour and common sense.

It's exactly what I needed at this stage. When the author describes some of the pitfalls of turning something you love doing into a business I found myself thinking 'Hmm, I'm afraid that's me!' It's given me an opportunity to see my business as a customer might, or as business advisor might see it (I'd soon be laughed back down the staircase if I ever had to explain my business plan to the `Dragon's Den' team). Reading this has made me re-examine my habitual way of running the business and has taken me through aspects that I'd never got around to giving some thought to.

As a Yorkshireman, I would take some convincing that Google Adwords could benefit me but I'm glad of the attempt here to describe its Byzantine workings. It's the cornerstone of the plan suggested in this guide but although the price per click might be reasonable, a potential cost of 5 per completed sale makes no sense to me selling booklets that are mostly under a fiver. But, thanks to this guide, I've a good idea what it's all about and I could come back to it in the future.

There are suggestions for stacks of stuff here that you can incorporate into your website for free. I'd never come across WordPress but I've now got that online and it's a great deal quicker for the blog section of my site than the old version of DreamWeaver I regularly use, plus I'm gradually realising how useful all the extras, notably the comments, can be in engaging an audience and assessing reaction to ideas.

I need to riffle back through the guide and make myself a `to do' list including Amazon marketplace, eBay shop, Google stats, page design etc. I enjoyed doing the VIA Signature Strengths questionnaire, suggested at the start of the guide; that gave me a bit of a boost but I'm still not convinced by the author's advice that what every online businessman really needs is a little West Highland Terrier!
But this guide really hit the spot for me, so it's earned its 5 star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise, 19 May 2011
Book was full of useful tips and information - not an exhaustive work, but an excellent starting point for anyone wanting or thinking of setting up an online business.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't put the book down! Well laid out to keep you focused!, 13 April 2011
Lottie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Since I bought this book the other week I haven't stopped going through it digesting all the important information from getting Google Adwords right to hosting your website.
For someone with little knowledge of Marketing, Google Adwords and Websites this step by step book makes it easy to learn the basics through to the more complicated bits.
It's structure is perfect for someone who learns visually (like me) with colour and pictures that back up what is written. I also like the Q&A's to real business owners!
The only negative point about the book is that he doesn't go into much depth about creating a website from scratch, he mostly goes on about setting up a website using Wordpress.
The book has made me more confident to go into business and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it a lot!, 30 Mar 2011
Extremely helpful, highly recommended book! Only you have to have some computer knowledge or to be able use a help from someone who has.

5.0 out of 5 stars From standing start to running your business, 12 Mar 2011
Paul Vitols (North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This attractive, richly illustrated guide shows you exactly what you need to know and do to launch your own online business.

When I picked up a copy of this MagBook at the magazine section of my local big-box bookstore, I was immediately drawn to its clear organization in three sections (1 Planning, 2 Building, 3 Marketing) and to the fact that it used so many screenshots in its illustrations. Since I was planning to soon launch my first e-book, I thought it might have some useful tips.

It did. I started by reading the section on marketing, which I thought would be the most use to me. I was fascinated to read all about how to use Google's AdWords program, even though I probably will not myself use it for this project. The author, himself a successful online entrepreneur, shows you exactly how to navigate the system and use it to the best advantage of your business, which means avoiding Google's suggested defaults in many cases. There is plenty of advice too on other aspects of online marketing, from copywriting to blogging to search-engine optimization to social media, and more.

Then I read section 2 on building your your business, which I found even more interesting. The author guides you through how to build your own website using WordPress, as well as how to set up a storefront on eBay, and how to enhance your website for commerce. He has many tested tips for software and service-providers, along with critical comments and advice.

The one part I haven't read is part 1 on planning your business, because I already have my product. But this too looks good, systematic, and logical.

Mr. Partner is a businessman; he's all about results and profitability, and all the advice and steps are provided with those objectives in mind. It is simple, hands-on, and step-by-step. That's not to say it's easy: there's a huge amount of work involved. But if you're new to online commerce this book is the next best thing to actually having done it before yourself. It's 144 pages of helpfulness, and cheap at the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - really useful, 16 July 2011
I found this bookmag really resourceful; packed with so much information. I feel it is a "must have" if you are thinking of setting up. A web business.

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Set Up An Online Business 2nd edition MagBook, 24 May 2011
It is a step by step guide that explains all the process in a very simple way, explaining all the concepts for those who - like me - are new online business. It gives you an overview of the strategic considerations as well as the technical issues to consider. Very useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than many similar books, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: How to Set up an Online Business 2nd edition (Kindle Edition)
I have read a few similar books that promise great rewards for little effort; this is a more realistic book then them and gives genuinely good advice. Like many of them it could be longer but is worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for the Start Up!, 26 Sep 2012
Ian Daniel (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
For the cost its a very good book and covers everything from planning and building your online business through to Marketing to greater sales. Designed in a structured way to cover the main areas and subjects of building your online business.

Ian Daniel

E-commerce Get It Right!

E-commerce Get It Right! - Essential Step by Step Guide for Selling & Marketing Products Online. Insider Secrets, Key Strategies & Practical Tips - Simplified for Start-Ups & Small Businesses