4.0 out of 5 stars BT Infinity
This router was included in the package when I (very recently) had BT Infinity broadband installed, so I'll review it as part of the Infinity package. I used it to replace a Belkin N wireless router.

Published on 11 April 2011 by Ron E Reagan

1.0 out of 5 stars An inherently flawed product inside and out
With its attractive, sleek design and small exterior, the BT Home Hub tries so hard to win you over. Unfortunately, aesthetics is just about all this disastrous device can do right.
Published 20 months ago by A. P

1.0 out of 5 stars An inherently flawed product inside and out, 22 Mar 2013
A. P "Persepolis" (Eastbourne, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: BT Home Hub 3.0 and BT Total Broadband Welcome Pack FOR BT ONLY
I received this alongside my brand new BT Infinity 2 package. With speeds of up to 80mbps down and 20mbps up, I was understandably fairly excited and began streaming 1080p video whilst laughing as my superhuman connection ate up everything I threw at it.

Two days later, the problems started. Wireless connectivity is intermittent and erratic. It will work fine for roughly 12-18 hours before it slows to a crawl, fixable only by powering down the router and starting it up again. It is now part of my daily routine to cycle the cursed thing every morning to help prevent the problem from arising. Further research suggests that this is common in many of the hubs, both new and old. It can happen as quick as flicking a switch; suddenly your games will lag, your videos will buffer indefinitely and your skype calls have a 5-10 second delay. Connecting via ethernet seems to remedy this issue, but should I be forced to use my product in a very specific way simply because my ISP is supplying a terrible product? Changing wireless channels or encryption does nothing.
It doesn't end there, either! Delve into the "advanced settings" and you'll find that they are not very "advanced" at all. DMZ, Port forwarding and the usual suspects are all there, sure, but BT tries so hard to hide them from you, almost as if even they know that what they're flogging to their customers isn't up to scratch. If you want to block specific websites, you're out of luck; there is absolutely no way to do this through the router. What's the point of having parental controls, used to limit the time children can access the internet, if you can't block specific content?

The Homehub is a mandatory piece of hardware if you wish to take advantage of BTs "free" WiFi hotspots accross the country. The truth is, though, these hotspots are all simply homeusers own BT connections. To use this service you must agree to sacrifice a "small amount" of your internet connection and create a publically accessible hotspot (running alongside your own). Literally, all you can do is turn it on; you can't see who is connected, you can't choose how much bandwith they are entitled to and you can't limit the amount of devices that can connect. What these people do with YOUR connection will forever remain a mystery.

Frankly, I don't know why this is even for sale outside of BTs own website. If you make the brave choice to purchase this router, I hope that your experience is better than mine. But with BT only giving one years warranty on these things, it's clear that they, too, have no confidence in the Homehub 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars BT Infinity, 11 April 2011

The hub was set up by the engineer, and the whole package seems to work well. I got a download speed of 37Mb over a wired connection to my desktop, and 34Mb over wireless to a laptop. The wireless laptop is about 10m away, but that's through a thick solid wall and a ceiling. It's fantastic after my previous 'up to 8Mb' speed of 0.5Mb - 1.5Mb.

I've got a network attached drive, and (provided I turn Windows auto-update off) the wireless laptop plays FLAC files without stuttering. This is an improvement over the Belkin, which occasionally stuttered, though I've maybe just been lucky avoiding network contention so far. I can now watch YouTube on the telly in real time when I link up to my laptop.

The instruction manual is minimalist and fairly useless, though I suspect that's because BT doesn't want its customers changing the base settings. However, the Home Hub software lets you change all the settings fairly easily. You need to go into advanced settings to give your network (SSID) a more memorable name.

So what's not to like? Well, quite a bit.

The Hub does not include an Infinity modem. This is a separate device called the Openreach modem, which links the telephone socket to the Hub. BT's literature says that this modem/hub combination is the only way to connect to Infinity. I suspect this means the only way sanctioned by BT.

Idle, the combined hub/modem uses somewhere between 11-15W more power than my old Belkin Router, which is well over a tenner a year. The hub claims to have an 'energy saving' mode, where you can switch off the wireless antenna for your own chosen time period, but this has no effect on power consumption. The Infinity brochure claims the Hub is the most energy efficient yet etc. etc. This is disingenuous as it can't operate without the modem.

The Hub has 1*1Gig Ethernet socket, and the rest are 100, so you'll still need a 1Gig switch if you want the fastest connection. I can't understand the tight-fistedness of this.

The Hub is only a single band wireless router, so you'll get interference if you live in a dense housing area. The Hub claims to switch channels on the fly if the channel you're on becomes busy, but it's not an effective solution in a busy area. My network download speed dropped from 34Mb to 10Mb in the evening when locals returned and started using their own networks.

In summary, I strongly recommend the Infinity package. However, I wouldn't buy the Hub as a standalone router. Although it is an improvement on my old router, if you just need a new router I think you'd be better paying the extra for a dual band model.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely abysmal, 19 April 2013
Really - don't bother. The connectivity provided by this device is extremely intermittent and at times painfully slow. It has dropped out 7 times in the last half hour (I'm taking a risk writing this), one of those mid credit card transaction, so yet again I have to call the store tomorrow to check my order was actually confirmed, or if the card rejected.

Working from home - something my employers do occasionally allow, and at times is essential over evenings and weekends in reporting periods - has become a practical impossibility.

I was called last week by a BT operative who offered me the infinity upgrade, for higher monthly charges, of course. Actually, BT, I'd just like the product you sold me the first time to do what you said it would. Requests for technical help seem to revolve around speed testing and checking the socket box. Even if that's fine, apparently other equipment running in the house (such as the boiler, washing machine, potentially the kitchen sink....) can cause noise and destabilise it, as can your neighbours internet usage.

I will not be keeping this device for much longer, and look forward to reversing over it once a replacement is up and running.

2.0 out of 5 stars Has to be reset daily, 23 July 2012
R. Brian - See all my reviews
There I am, happily surfing, then the page refuses to load, saying it needs to be online. Go to bthomehub.home, router says it is connected to the Internet, connectivity check ok, it sees my computers, but won't let them connect. Needless to say, the BT help desk are incredibly unhelpful, unable to understand why I can't do a speed check when I can't even get online. Restarting the router fixes it, for a day or so.

1.0 out of 5 stars A dismal little device, 15 Dec 2011
Darren A. Savage (London) - See all my reviews
I was previously with Sky, their supplied router was less than spectacular, but at least it worked. This BT Home Hub 3 offers slightly better speed, but is highly unreliable, the signal frequently drops and the range of the device is terrible.

Originally I thought it was a faulty device, turns out they are all as bad.

In a word, poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this really bad product, 11 July 2013
Despite the marketing hype this can't qualify has a modern product. Unless you get this for free from BT with your broadband (in which case I still suggest replacing it!) there is no reason to use or buy this product. First of all it's not reliable. It has to be rebooted 2-3 times a week. It loses the internet connection or the local network stops working. The switch itself has only 3x 100mbit ethernet with one Gb ethernet port. If you want a local network with good performance this is obviously not good enough. Really for the price you can find a better product.

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 3 Feb 2013
the whole bt package is total rubbish slow speeds and constant loss of signal was on aol before and that was bad so thought this would be fantastic after all the hype in the tv ads avoid

5.0 out of 5 stars better than hub 2, 2 Feb 2012
Marcia "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The new BT hub 3 is much better than the old hub 2 in terms of reliability of connection. I had a lot of problems with the hub 2 with the connection to the internet constantly dropping. I would be without internet access for days at a time while waiting for BT to fix the problem. Hub 2 seemed to be working ok in terms of the lights showing up etc but if there was any external problem with the line outside of the building the Hub couldn't cope with it. BT would fix the problem outside and everything was ok for a while but then the connection would drop again. Eventually I managed to persuade BT to give me this updated Hub and after a month it hasn't dropped,.....Yet.
If you have had problems with BT hub 2 and cannot persuade BT to upgrade you to Hub 3, I would say it is worth investing in buying one from Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great as a designer radiator for your living room, 21 July 2013
BT Home Hub 3.0 and BT Total Broadband Welcome Pack FOR BT ONLY
BT Home Hub 3.0 and BT Total Broadband Welcome Pack FOR BT ONLY

I have recently joined BT again for my sins and they sent out this hub as part of the broadband deal for free.
It is a good job it was because if I had paid real money for it I fear I would have slit my wrists long ago for being so dumb and not reading the other reviews.

To start on a positive note there are 2 positives with this hub:

1: It works for the 2 weeks from installation, after that it is the most unreliable piece of junk you could ever wish to be burdened with.
2: It gets very hot. Its great if you don't have heating in your house as this will warm a small living room as a great replacement for your radiator.

Onto the not so good side:

The wireless connection is definitely not reliable, BT should be banned by the advertising standards authority stating they have the UK's most reliable connection as the connection flakes out as soon as it gets a sniff of a 2nd device trying to connect to it via wifi. The ADSL connection is unstable and the speed varies between non existent and 3mb when my old hub 2 would connect at 6mb and be stable at that.

Its proper difficult to set up if it don't work straight away out of the box and if you dare to get a letter wrong in the key don't expect it to forgive you for at least 30 mins even if you enter the right key as it will just refuse to give a IP address via the DHCP server.

Don't expect customer services to give a damn either, they just tell you to plug in a Ethernet cable and when you explain how do I plug the other end into my iPad they get confused, tell you you must have a port for it, get angry with you and after shouting at you will terminate the call so you have to go back through the nightmare that is BT's automated process before speaking with someone again.
The bad customer services whom I have spent endless hours on the phone to are the reason I am writing this review as I have just spent the last 4 hours restarting the hub in a vain effort to allow me to connect a wireless device to it and having that nagging prospect of calling customer services for a little help or sympathy at their rubbish product not working made me persevere with the restarts in hope that the internet connection holds out long enough to give any prospective buyer a warning of how bad these are.

I Can only recommend this Router to people whom love spending hours puzzling why the cannot connect to their wireless network every day and people who are into things like mental self harm, For anyone else that doesn't fit into those 2 categories I believe that it will cause the best of us and most patient techno geeks around to become suicidal and you will do well to avoid this cheap over marketed tat and look at another manufacturers router or a home hub 2 instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Homehub 3, a downgrade from the Homehub 2, 25 May 2013
I've recently installed the HH3 to take over from the homehub 2, which once every 1 or 2 days would lock up and need a reset. The HH3 so far has only needed 1 reset as I wanted to see if that would clear the oh so incredibly slow connection s peed it's imposed on all our devices.

The reason being from what I've gathered on the bt community care forum is the HH3 cannot cope with multiple wireless connections. So if you have more than 4 wireless devices then I'd highly recommend either getting the HH2 if you're on a tight budget, or get a Netgear, Linksys or Buffalo mid range router. I'd also recommend getting a homeplug kit (Solwise 500AV HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter with mains passthrough TWIN PACK)to set up wired connections for devices that require large bandwidth (unless you only have 1 or 2 devices that are wireless in which case you should be ok)

I've even set up the devices on the HH3 to have static IP addreses, opened the ports for the PS3 and these are the d/l speed results compared to the HH2 for both my PS3 and PC.

HH2 PS3 avg d/l speed = 8Mbs (or 1MBs)
HH2 PC avg d/l speed = 11Mbs (or 1.375MBs)

HH3 PS3 avg d/l speed = 3Mbs (or 0.375MBs)
HH3 PC avg d/l speed = 2.6Mbs (or 0.325MBs)

the upload speeds are even worse and this has caused my web browsing experience to come to a crawl.

So all in all, if you need fast broadband, get a fast router as this one is full of cheap components that can't handle the modern day home network.

BT Home Hub 3.0 and BT Total Broadband Welcome Pack