5.0 out of 5 stars Zany and wonderful, 23 Mar 2012
Sometimes surreal, often hilarious, this book made me laugh out loud in a crowded café, and I gobbled it all up with total delight. I love, love, love this series! The Incorrigibles are wonderful, and the mad zaniness of this whole book is just delicious.

It is such a pleasure to read such a funny series, with so much heart underneath the humor.

My favorite Swanburne-ism from this book: "As Agatha Swanburne once said, 'To be kept waiting in unfortunate, but to be kept waiting with nothing interesting to read is a tragedy of Greek proportions.'"

I am definitely a Swanburne girl wannabe!

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting continuation, 18 July 2014
Continues to be a quirky enjoyable series. Might not to be everyone's tastes and occasionally I get annoyed by the ranking and what feels like unnecessarily long-windedness. However if you like the first one, then you'll probably like this. If you haven't read the first one, definitely don't read this - they're surreal enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Lumawoo, 3 Jun 2014
I finished reading this book today. It's a great series with the children, governess and the weird Ashtons'. This time they all head to London with their adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 29 Jan 2014
It is the most amazing book ever, I love it. Other people need to read this awesome book, OH YEAH

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FUN, 13 Dec 2013
Great fun for children of all ages. They only fault is that Americanisms creep in at times. I am hooked on the series and can't wait for the next book and I'm over 60 years old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious, 5 Mar 2013
This book is great to read together with the kids as it throws up so many questions and mysteries about who each character is and what's going on...we look forward to the release of book 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (book two), 6 Feb 2013
This book holds education and extremely important words like vexed, it also holds many emotions and has an amazing storyline!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, 26 Jan 2013
I read book 1 a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I found it fresh and fun and wanted to know more, so I ordered this book at the library. It came in yesterday and I thought I would start it quickly. (it's quite short with good sized print so I knew it wouldn't take long).
Anyway The Hidden Gallery follows on right where book 1 ends. The house is trashed, the children in disgrace and Lady Ashton in a frightful state as usual. Deciding it's time to get away they decide to go on a trip to London. Once there things only get more confusing. The origin of the Children is still a mystery, Lord Ashton's strange behaviour is still not explained and now there is a strange Gypsy woman scaring them with crazy predictions. Why is it so important that Miss Lumley dye her hair and what has Agatha Swanburne got to do with it all.
The mystery is very well layered and will have you turning the pages to know more, but each time you think you are about to get an answer the mystery just gets deeper. This series is very Lemony Snicket like and in a way that is one of the things I love about it. It's fresh, sweet, intriguing and enjoyable.
The Hidden Gallery is set in 1850 I think so has some historical elements which I enjoyed reading about and added a certain charm to it. The language in the book is just charming and creates a whole feel to the book and makes it all seem so much more realistic.
Lady Constance is once again very melodramatic and over the top, it would be annoying if it wasn't so funny, but I really did find myself laughing at some of her ridiculous statements.
The children are also developing well as characters and developing stronger personalities. I did get slightly irritated by the constant 'woooo's added to the end of words. It was cute at first but started to annoy me more as the book went on. But I suppose it does fit with their background and it wasn't a big issue, I could mostly ignore it so it didn't put me off at all.
Overall I think this book is full of charm and fun and great adventure. A thoroughly enjoyable read for children and adults alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars they get better, 11 Dec 2012
J. Timmins (UK) - See all my reviews
An improvement over the first one making so glad to have stuck to them. So excited waiting for the third in paperback in January. Just hoping some things start to get answered rather than just more mysteries or it could turn frustrating.

More exciting, varied and involving than the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Nov 2011
Interesting and gives a mystery to it. Would recommend it to other children. Well written and right for my age group.