Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

on 14 February 2012
I have been looking for a single ear-bud headphone with in-line volume control for my Roberts Sports 995 personal stereo radio for sometime. This product is perfect; it has very good sound quality, sensitive sound adjustment and a lead of just the right length. The ear-bud has a secure and comfortable fit, using standard (replaceable) ear-bud covers. I would recommend this product on the grounds of quality of sound and excellent value.

Have since purchased a Pure Move 2500 DAB/FM which uses the earphones as the aerial. It works just as well as the those coming with the radio, whilst giving the same high quality output.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm often awake in the night and find listening to the radio/podcasts/listen-again on an iPod helpful. The problem I have found with conventional earphones is that they tend to be problematic as I favour lying on my side and the pressure of the pillow on the earphone becomes painful after a while. I have tried listening with just one earphone but, owing to most programmes being in stereo, some of the sound is lost. This single earbud has gone some way to getting around that.

Why three stars? Well, the sound quality is pretty poor. It's okay for spoken word but no use for music as there is quite a bit of distortion at certain frequencies. Also, the volume control on the cable is a nuisance, and in my view: redundant.

UPDATE: I've found another minor problem with the design of this product, which is the quality of the cable. Although thin, it is relatively stiff (unlike the soft cord that is on the earphones that come with an iPod). The result of having the stiffer cable is that every movement of the cable is telegraphed into the earpiece - rather like the way sound is transferred between two paper cups with a taught string. Initially I took this noise to be crackling from a loose connection but it can be shown that it's definitely mechanically created.
VINE VOICEon 12 February 2014
Having only 30% hearing in one ear, I found I was missing a lot of the sound when using double ear phones with my iPad. This was particularly noticeable with tracks by the Beatles for some reason. In some cases the vocals were missing, in others the drums etc. I didn't want the type with robust glow-in-the-dark cables, I wasn't planning to run anywhere, just listen to my music in bed. This earbud seemd to fit the bill and was relatively cheap (though the postage did bump up the cost).

The thing looks quite flimsy, and I suspect will not last very long. But it really does combine the channels into one earpiece, and as a bonus has a volume control. Initially the bud gave me an ear ache after an hour of listening. But inserting it with minimal pressure achieved a much more comfortable fit.

Of course you lose any real stereo separation - but I didn't have much to begin with. I'm happily listening to 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds', and hearing everything with great clarity. Is it my imagination, or am I even getting some stereo from it?

(after six months of use)
Well, the thing has packed up giving only intermittent sound. Clearly the internal connections are brittle. Why can't they make these products a bit more robust? I'm sure people would be prepared to spend a couple more ££ for something more reliable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2012
This product is brilliant. Due to a recent head injury I have been made permanatly deaf in one ear so this was a god send.

I love listening to music as I walk to work or at the gym etc and I tried my standard earphones with my I pod and the sound in one ear is terriable. I thought I would give the one ear phone a test and I was not disappointed the sound in one ear is great it feels like the good old days when I had two working ears.

The quality of the actual earphone isn't the best really compared to apple ear phones etc but the sound is great and for the price its worth buying it and cheap to replace if it ever breaks I have bought 3 in total for my I pods. Can't wait to well enough again to get down the gym with my tunes!!!
on 29 May 2015
Ordered this for my wife who is deaf in one ear so needed a stereo single earbud to listen to music, particularly to combat her tinnitus. Sound is good, it's comfortable to wear, and the provision of an in-line volume control is helpful. It is well-made given the price, and (with criticisms from other reviewers in mind) I would imagine that any such device would not withstand rough treatment over a long period!

We have bought a second one to keep in our caravan, and I have even thought of getting one for myself so that I can listen to music whilst cycling and still be able to listen out for traffic...
on 2 November 2012
I use the earbud whilst cycling, for listening to podcasts. It works well and you can still hear the world around you. Can't see a point in the volume control, it just seems like a point of failure in the future. Personally I would have liked the sound to be a bit louder and also a clip attached to the cable, as the earbud can fall out. The length of the cable isn't excessive, but I use a bluetooth receiver clipped to my jacket, so this isn't an issue to me. The cable itself is very thin, but no problems yet. All in all the good outweighs any negatives and it was cheap.
on 18 August 2012
Purchased these 5 months ago and was initially very impressed with them. Sound quality was great, comfort was good too.

The big complaint I have is that the cable after the volume control has progressively become stiff and that has resulted in the earphone no longer working.

I am loathed to buy a 2nd one after 5 months and am most likely gonna resort to my previous method of 2 earpiece earphones and sticking the left earpiece in my shirt pocket.
on 30 May 2014
The sound quality is great. The volume control on the cord is very useful.
I had one of these single earbud headphones for quite a while and used it extensively. Eventually, it broke, but I think this is because I shoved it into small pockets and purses and damaged the cord. I thought I'd up-grade but the sound quality and comfort of the replacement did not match this earbud so I've bought it again (and I'll be more careful about how I store it).
on 23 November 2015
The tone is good but the cable is too stiff as, I believe, has been mentioned in other reviews. I had mine for less than a week when the bud stopped working and I found that the cable had become damaged close to the ear-piece. I wasn't prepared to have a replacement do exactly the same so got a refund. That's the good thing with Amazon, the refund system is first class, which is more than I can say about the i-Bud. Don't waste your time with this one.
on 8 December 2012
The ability to hear both the radio and surrounding sounds can only be safe the quality of the sounds are excellent