Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.74

on 29 December 2010
Loved this book about two very different sisters and their relationship. Great story, couldn't put it down. Author constantly compared with Jodi Picoult but I found Diane Chamberlain to be much better. Would recommend this book and I will be trying some of her other books too.
on 12 March 2011
Diane Chamberlain is so very often compared to Jodi Picoult. I love Jodi's books, and i love Diane's too. Both are authors whose books i always have on pre-order, and i would always recommend them to people.

It comes as a surprise to me then, that i'm only giving this one 4 stars instead of the usual 5. I felt it didn't live up to Diane's usual work, don't get me wrong, it was a good book, just not great. Especially compared to some of her previous work.

In The Lies We Told, we are introduced to sisters Maya and Rebecca. Orphaned by the brutal murder of their parents, older sister Rebecca cares for Maya, and is very protective. Once Maya is married to Adam, Rebecca donates alot of her time to DIDA, a charity donating medical care to casualties in areas of natural disaster. Rebecca manages to enlist Adam on 2 weeks of care assistance, aswell as Maya. It's during this time that Maya goes missing, and we find Adam and Rebecca thrown together in grief.

The main body of the story was gripping, and it took me a day and a half to complete the book, but my disappointment came at the ending. I felt it was slightly rushed.

Don't get me wrong, this book is still a keeper for me, but not my favourite of Diane's. If you are new to her work, i'd recommend reading an earlier one first, you won't be disappointed.
on 28 February 2011
This book started off very well however the ending (which became quite obvious halfway through the book) was unrealistic and unfortunately ruined the book for me. I found the relationship between Adam and Rebecca hard to comprehend and found myself skipping parts of the book because of this.

All in all its written well and has a very good beginning and interesting storyline but it was just ok.
on 13 April 2011
I am a Diane Chamberlain fan, however, I didn't feel like this book lived up to the rest of her books that I have read. The Lies we Told tells the story of sisters Maya and Rebecca, who as teenagers lost both their parents, now, they are trying to get on with their lives, although both sisters have secrets they are keeping from each other and their loved ones, and when Maya goes missing, their secrets begin to come to the surface.

I thought that this book started off well, however, I felt that there was a big section in the middle that dragged on and just wasn't very interesting as there was a lot of focus on a search and rescue team and lots of injured characters we'd never met before were fleetingly brought in.

With a Diane Chamberlain book, I am used to unpredictability and plenty of twists and turns, with this book, however, I didn't think there was enough of either of these things. I could foresee what was coming long before it did and there were not as many twists and turns as I was expecting, although there was the odd few, which was a redeeming factor for me.

The end of the book seemed slightly rushed to me, and I'm not sure whether I liked the way things turned out or not. Aside, from all this, this is still a reasonable enough read but if you're new to the works of Diane Chamberlain then there are other books of hers that I would recommend over this one.
on 3 June 2011
This is my first Diane Chamberlain book. I was attracted to the blurb on the book that said If You Love Jodi Picoult, you will love Diane Chamberlain. I am a huge Jodi fan and I really don't think you should compare the two. Jodi pours a lot of research into her books and from what I've read. research didn't really figure in this book so I am surprised by the comparison.

The book started out really well and I thought to myself, brilliant! What a great find. But as I progressed into the middle, I was skim reading just to get it over with (I hate not finishing a book!). It got really tiresome in the middle and I found myself really bewildered at Adam and Rebecca's relationship. The ending totally spoilt it for me as I don't think Rebecca's actions match how she looked after her sister all her life. It didn't add up for me. On the plus side, I enjoyed Diane's style of writing and found the book (the interesting parts anyway) easy to follow. The characters were good as was the plot but I just feel it could have been so much more.

I will try another of Diane's books but if that falls flat, I just going to stick with Jodi!
on 22 December 2010
I read this book in a few days, which is great going for me! Diane makes you really care about the characters and I found myself hoping that there would be a sequel to this story. Once I had finished this I went online to find a list of her books as I have sped through reading 5 of her latest...I recommend her books highly.
on 27 February 2012
I have found Diane Chamberlain books both believable and enchanting, unfortunately The Lies We told just did not seem to deliver. I found myself on numerous occasions having to put this book down as I simply lost interest in the characters and story. Overall a very disappointing book with an ending that made me throw the book across the room and sigh!!
on 15 June 2013
i enjoyed the book, as i do with all Diane Chamberlain books but if i hadn't purchased this book via kindle i would have thought someone had torn out the last couple of pages. i felt that i wanted to know more of what happened to Maya, Adam and Simmee. It just didn't seem to finish well.
on 10 December 2014
Perhaps I am a little biased as I am an enormous fan of Diane Chamberlain - but I am yet to read a book that hasn't qualified for an easy five stars. This one was no exception and I think a bonus for me was that it actually ended how I wanted it to end. A lot of this was set in the aftermath of disaster - an extremely destructive hurricane causing chaos. This was a unique concept from the off and I was drawn in from page 1. I'd reccomend Diane Chamberlain to *everyone*.
on 4 June 2011
I enjoyed this book right up to the ending. It upset me so much. Oh the treachery of Rebecca! As for Adam, I found him nauseating from the outset, with his smarmy sucking up to waitresses, yuck! Don't marry him Maya! His emotions are so shallow, with the way he flits from wife to wife for what they can give him, rather than for the person they are themselves.The only truly likeable character is Maya. I won't give away the ending, but it made me so mad. But by all means read it!